Choosing a T14

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Choosing a T14

Postby mylifeis24 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Hello all. I've applied to a bunch of T14s (Columbia, UPenn, UChicago, UMichigan, NYU, Georgetown, Duke, UVA, Cornell, Northwestern), as well as Vanderbilt (T-20). Based on numbers, I'm expecting to be able to choose between at least some of these schools. I'm wondering what the best factors to take into account are for when I finally get to make that decision. Obviously the award is going to play fairly heavily, but if one of these schools presents a better opportunity than others, I'm interested to know why. Though I don't know exactly what I want to go into, I've been leaning towards NY Biglaw, maybe specializing in appellate litigation. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Choosing a T14

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:14 pm

If you haven't yet, check out for employment data.

Re: Choosing a T14

Postby cotiger » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Like Objectionyourhonor said, go to LST. The best metric is generally regarded as Large Firm + Federal Clerkship. These jobs are what most people are trying to get. There are some additional nuances, but that is a good place to start.

For placement into these jobs, there are three general tiers: 1. Yale, Stanford, and Harvard; 2. Columbia, Chicago, NYU, and Penn; and 3. The rest of the T13 (Georgetown not included).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”