Phoenix school of law........talk me of of it Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timbs4339

Gold

Re: Phoenix school of law........talk me of of it

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 am

28 is not too old. I work with a guy who is 45 and went to law school after having a successful career.

Take a year off, work, study. Get through that stressful first year in your baby's life, then give UA or ASU a shot.

Check out these series of posts by a real live law professor about "Infilaw" the company that owns Phoenix and other similarly regarded schools: http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... law-school

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Fabulous decision. Withdraw from Phoenix. Absolutely. Use this year to be with your new little one, and to re-prep for the LSAT.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm

mewalke1 wrote:
The sloppiness of your writing is profound; it is. Work on they precision in they comning yeer.
haha yea I know it's bad but I was typing it on my iphone in a hot tub. :)
Your OP says you were in a classroom, liar.

Attend PSOL and never look back. Don't listen to the naysayers.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:15 pm

OP, let us know how the call to withdraw goes. I'm curious to hear if they try to talk you back into it.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 am

Regulus wrote:
Phoenix School of Law wrote:Merit Scholarships

Merit scholarships are awarded at the time of acceptance to the program and are based on an applicant's LSAT score and cumulative undergraduate GPA. The scholarship award is for one academic year, to be credited to the student account in two equal parts. The scholarship award is applied toward Fall and Spring tuition only, no fees included. (Scholarship award does not apply to summer classes). No scholarship application is needed.

The award is renewable for subsequent semesters as long as the student has a 3.00 or higher cumulative PhoenixLaw GPA. PhoenixLaw grades on a curve, thus limiting the percentage of grades in each course. Based on the grading curve, approximately 40% of PhoenixLaw students in a class will have a GPA above a 3.00. However, only about 30% of the students with scholarships will maintain their scholarship.

Student must be enrolled at PhoenixLaw into the program he/she was admitted into, and maintain the appropriate credit hours for the program he/she was admitted into and maintain the appropriate credit hours for that program.

All scholarship awards are a private matter between PhoenixLaw and the individual student recipient.
At least they admit to their blatant section stacking and general scumbaggery. Props for honesty

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:34 am

World needs its ditch diggers.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:29 am

dowu wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:
The sloppiness of your writing is profound; it is. Work on they precision in they comning yeer.
haha yea I know it's bad but I was typing it on my iphone in a hot tub. :)
Your OP says you were in a classroom, liar.

Attend PSOL and never look back. Don't listen to the naysayers.
Ha dude look at the time between the original post and my follow up.....its like 8 hours later. I was in a classroom.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 am

romothesavior wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:If all of the very obviously shitty things about the school (e.g. employment prospects) didn't deter you, what makes you think some internet dudes will be more successful?

Threads of the "convince me not to do x" variety are almost always challenges posed by people who are knowingly making a bad decision despite overwhelming evidence that should compel them to do the opposite, coming from a posture of defensiveness and almost proud bullheadedness. It's not the job of society to individually justify widely applicable facts like the terribleness of Phoenix Law.
Mostly I'm looking for opinions on what others would do in the same situation. I know the final decision is mine. I know it's not a great school but knowing the facts and situation what would others do? That's what I'm looking for. I don't think it's a horrible idea to bounce a decision off of others when it's this important. Even if it is Internet dudes :wink:
You already know the answer. Don't go to this school, and most likely you should avoid law school altogether.
Rough dude.Pretty negative. I got into some decent schools. San Diego, Nebraska, SMU, Denver....not top 14 but not bad schools. Waitlisted at some better ones Wisconsin, U of A, Illinois. Its just that moving wasn't going to work for my family at this time.

So a crappy school about 20 minutes from my house dangles basically free law school and I checked it out (and discovered it seemed to be as much of a joke as people say it is) and I bailed. Sue me... :lol: I'm just trying to get opinions and let people know about my experience. Isn't that the point of this forum?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:03 am

mewalke1 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:If all of the very obviously shitty things about the school (e.g. employment prospects) didn't deter you, what makes you think some internet dudes will be more successful?

Threads of the "convince me not to do x" variety are almost always challenges posed by people who are knowingly making a bad decision despite overwhelming evidence that should compel them to do the opposite, coming from a posture of defensiveness and almost proud bullheadedness. It's not the job of society to individually justify widely applicable facts like the terribleness of Phoenix Law.
Mostly I'm looking for opinions on what others would do in the same situation. I know the final decision is mine. I know it's not a great school but knowing the facts and situation what would others do? That's what I'm looking for. I don't think it's a horrible idea to bounce a decision off of others when it's this important. Even if it is Internet dudes :wink:
You already know the answer. Don't go to this school, and most likely you should avoid law school altogether.
Rough dude.Pretty negative. I got into some decent schools. San Diego, Nebraska, SMU, Denver....not top 14 but not bad schools. Waitlisted at some better ones Wisconsin, U of A, Illinois. Its just that moving wasn't going to work for my family at this time.

So a crappy school about 20 minutes from my house dangles basically free law school and I checked it out (and discovered it seemed to be as much of a joke as people say it is) and I bailed. Sue me... :lol: I'm just trying to get opinions and let people know about my experience. Isn't that the point of this forum?
Please please please tell us what they try to do when you ask to withdraw.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:08 pm

The truth regarding law school is pretty negative, so advice regarding law school will be pretty pessimistic as well. Yes, the point of thus forum is to give opinions, and I gave mine. Don't gripe when it's not a pat on the back and a "Go get em!" Be glad you're hearing this now and not after you matriculate.

Unless you're looking at a top school or big scholarship money from a good school in the region you want to practice in, you should avoid law school. That is the overwhelming consensus among lawyers, law students, and definitely TLS posters. You seem to lack a basic grasp of the legal hiring market. Have you checked out employment data regarding these schools? Do you realize how regional they are? You need to retake/reaply or go a different route altogether.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:10 pm

How were you going to swing u of a if you can't move?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:28 pm

mewalke1 wrote:

Is it free?! Because I'm betting it comes with stipulations (such as staying in the top 30% of your class or else you lose your scholarship).

If it does come with stips, it's a trap.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:How were you going to swing u of a if you can't move?
Good question. Moving to Tucson wouldn't have been a huge deal like moving out of state. My brother and his family live in Tucson. My sister and her family just moved there as well. Its only about 90 minutes from where I live now. My wife would have had support while I was at school....unlike if we moved out of state.

lawforthemasses

New

Post by lawforthemasses » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:28 pm

I am a December 2009 graduate of Phoenix School of Law. I sat for the February 2010 bar exam and passed it my first time. I found the school to be completely helpful in getting me practice-ready and prepared to enter the workforce. I had zero delays in getting hired and took my first job as an associate in a small firm. The pay wasn't good, but I had to start somewhere and knew I could promote myself in due time. Now, having practiced for three-plus years, I can tell you that not once I have encountered discounts to my abilities as an attorney by either colleagues or clients. I am making six-figures and enjoy my current firm. I cannot comment on the current situation within the school, but when I attended I believe I got a quality legal education.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:51 pm

lawforthemasses wrote:I am a December 2009 graduate of Phoenix School of Law. I sat for the February 2010 bar exam and passed it my first time. I found the school to be completely helpful in getting me practice-ready and prepared to enter the workforce. I had zero delays in getting hired and took my first job as an associate in a small firm. The pay wasn't good, but I had to start somewhere and knew I could promote myself in due time. Now, having practiced for three-plus years, I can tell you that not once I have encountered discounts to my abilities as an attorney by either colleagues or clients. I am making six-figures and enjoy my current firm. I cannot comment on the current situation within the school, but when I attended I believe I got a quality legal education.

Congratulations! In all seriousness it's great to hear a success story even from what many on this site consider one of the lowest tier law schools. Unfortunately your situation is not totally indicative of the rest of the class. You mention being able to find a job as an associate in a small firm, but a full 35% of the most recent class with data available doesn't have a full time job at all, 46% doesn't have a job that requires the use of their JD, and 56.4% don't have a full time, long term job that requires their JD. For a degree that can cost upwards of $200,000 and 3 years of lost time, this doesn't sound like a particularly valuable investment of time nor money for most people.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:00 am

lawforthemasses wrote:I am a December 2009 graduate of Phoenix School of Law. I sat for the February 2010 bar exam and passed it my first time. I found the school to be completely helpful in getting me practice-ready and prepared to enter the workforce. I had zero delays in getting hired and took my first job as an associate in a small firm. The pay wasn't good, but I had to start somewhere and knew I could promote myself in due time. Now, having practiced for three-plus years, I can tell you that not once I have encountered discounts to my abilities as an attorney by either colleagues or clients. I am making six-figures and enjoy my current firm. I cannot comment on the current situation within the school, but when I attended I believe I got a quality legal education.
Am I the only one who finds the reputability of this post extremely questionable?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:02 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Am I the only one who finds the reputability of this post extremely questionable?
The answer to your question is no.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:03 am

jselson wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
dude every successful person describes their success by saying they have never encountered discounts to their abilities...seems reasonable

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:06 am

Don't do it.

I live in AZ and you should trust me.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:34 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am

gaud wrote:Don't do it.

I live in AZ and you should trust me.
Trust in gaud

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 am

jselson wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
+1

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 am

MoMettaMonk wrote:
jselson wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
+1
+1

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:19 am

jselson wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I love that the whole thing is in bold. It's as if the author was trying to counteract everything else ITT by screaming how awesome PSOL is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”