Thoughts on big ten law schools? Which ones are worth it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nova

Platinum

Re: Thoughts on big ten law schools? Which ones are worth it?

Post by Nova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:57 am

Lots of quality lulz ITT :lol:

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thethoughtcounts176

New

Post by Thethoughtcounts176 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:OP, ignore all the comments above. The most important metric to focus on is employment placement rates. By this I mean the number of players each school will place in the NFL. Accordingly, schools like Alabama, University of Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Ohio State should be your target schools.
LOL, OK let me clarify something. I thoroughly apologize for not explaining where I was coming from. I went to Purdue undergrad for engineering, Michigan for my MBA. I've worked in the Chicago area and do a good amount of networking and college recruitment at northwestern where my sister went, a chemical engineer, for some startup companies in the Chicago area.

Currently, I've moved back to the east coast and am working on some ventures in NYC but I'm originally from NJ and have good connections at Rutgers, both their main campus and Newark law school campus. I could go on about my affiliations with a bunch of the other schools that happen to be in the big ten coincidentally, but my initial interest in them was because of the connections, etc that I have with them either in the recent past or currently.

Sorry, last night I was really tired and being super lazy and ambiguous with that question instead of thoroughly explaining my situation right before I passed out.

I thank you all for the quick and heated responses though. I guess I know for sure to avoid Indiana law even though some buddies of mine are trying hard to recruit me to go there.

PS - I apologize for any typos in advance as only use my phone at work and the new swype sucks ass. haha

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Guyz come on, there's nothing wrong with picking schools based on athletic conference. Who doesn't want to go to law school in the Ivy League? At least he didn't say the Big East

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Everyone in my practice group is actually big ten grads. I really think its why I got hired. Not joking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JJ123

Bronze

Post by JJ123 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Where do you want to practice? If outside the midwest, Michigan and Northwestern are far above all others. Otherwise, Ohio State, Minnesota, and Indiana are fantastic to practice in those states, although you will need good grades.

Thethoughtcounts176

New

Post by Thethoughtcounts176 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:34 pm

yeah most likely want to practice in NY, California, or Chicago. Portland or Seattle are contenders as well. I mainly focused on these places because they have vibrant startup atmospheres. some pretty exciting things going on. I'm not really looking to get into a ton of debt just to go to a top 14 school especially because I'm not necessarily looking to go after these big firms. I'm into startups. I'm not looking to be a slave. I'm looking to go solo asap.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Thethoughtcounts176 wrote:yeah most likely want to practice in NY, California, or Chicago. Portland or Seattle are contenders as well. I mainly focused on these places because they have vibrant startup atmospheres. some pretty exciting things going on. I'm not really looking to get into a ton of debt just to go to a top 14 school especially because I'm not necessarily looking to go after these big firms. I'm into startups. I'm not looking to be a slave. I'm looking to go solo asap.
Lol

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Thethoughtcounts176 wrote:yeah most likely want to practice in NY, California, or Chicago. Portland or Seattle are contenders as well. I mainly focused on these places because they have vibrant startup atmospheres. some pretty exciting things going on. I'm not really looking to get into a ton of debt just to go to a top 14 school especially because I'm not necessarily looking to go after these big firms. I'm into startups. I'm not looking to be a slave. I'm looking to go solo asap.
You can't go solo in "startup" or corporate law out of law school. You need to work you can learn how to actually practice law, and you need to work at a firm because those are the only places that have the major VC firms as clients AND the budgets to hire and train newbies. No law school is going to teach you anything substantive, regardless of whether they are Yale or Cooley.

If you want to work in Chicago then you should go to Mich, UChi, or NW. I'm not sure why you want to limit your geographic preferences to the midwest, when a T14 on the coasts would be a much better option for what you want to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:05 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
You can't go solo in "startup" or corporate law out of law school. You need to work you can learn how to actually practice law, and you need to work at a firm because those are the only places that have the major VC firms as clients AND the budgets to hire and train newbies. No law school is going to teach you anything substantive, regardless of whether they are Yale or Cooley.

If you want to work in Chicago then you should go to Mich, UChi, or NW. I'm not sure why you want to limit your geographic preferences to the midwest, when a T14 on the coasts would be a much better option for what you want to do.
Mich, Uchi and NW will do placement really well in Chicago, but hold their own against the rest of the T14 nationwide too. In fact if you were looking at nyc, west and midwest, these are the exact schools you'd want to look at.

Tasik32

New

Post by Tasik32 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:26 pm

OP, check out this law firm: http://wsgr.com/WSGR/Default.aspx. There are probably quite a few other firms that specialize in start-ups and venture capital, but I know for sure that Wilson has quite a few attorneys that do that work in their NY office and I'm sure even more in Palo Alto.

Look around the website and at some of the profiles of the attorneys, see if that is the type of law you would like to do, what type of background they have, and if you have questions, then shoot one of the attorneys an email--worst case scenario is that they don't have enough time and don't respond.

Also, I'm not sure if it's true about all lawyers doing start-up/venture capital law, but to my knowledge it is a numbers game because of the risk/reward chance involved in each start-up. Firms do quite a bit of work for a lot of clients and hope that the investment in those clients pay off in the future, but they expect a lot of them won't. All that is to say, I think if you want to do that type of law you are still looking at a lot of work, being reliant on the support of a firm, and probably not getting to spend as much one on one time with a client as you may expect.

Thethoughtcounts176

New

Post by Thethoughtcounts176 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Tasik32 wrote:OP, check out this law firm: http://wsgr.com/WSGR/Default.aspx. There are probably quite a few other firms that specialize in start-ups and venture capital, but I know for sure that Wilson has quite a few attorneys that do that work in their NY office and I'm sure even more in Palo Alto.

Look around the website and at some of the profiles of the attorneys, see if that is the type of law you would like to do, what type of background they have, and if you have questions, then shoot one of the attorneys an email--worst case scenario is that they don't have enough time and don't respond.

Also, I'm not sure if it's true about all lawyers doing start-up/venture capital law, but to my knowledge it is a numbers game because of the risk/reward chance involved in each start-up. Firms do quite a bit of work for a lot of clients and hope that the investment in those clients pay off in the future, but they expect a lot of them won't. All that is to say, I think if you want to do that type of law you are still looking at a lot of work, being reliant on the support of a firm, and probably not getting to spend as much one on one time with a client as you may expect.
hey thanks. I appreciate the input. I work with a lot of startups now and have quite a formidable amount of lawyer friends in the biz. Obviously with startups, a lot of effort and anguish can be had. And believe me, I know. I'm interested in this type of law because it's the next logical step for me. What I meant in my previous comment was I'm not looking to go after huge firms. I have friends at huge firms and they are basically slaves. They sleep and eat at the office. They give me the look of death when I happen to ask them to step out for lunch. I have no problem working in a ridiculous venture type environment because you have a stake in the outcome. However, with many of these large firms, the work you do is meaningless to you at the lowest level. I didn't mean to say that I'm going to immediately go solo right out of law school, but do have a decent amount of connections with firms the industries that I'm involved to not have to take a horrible job just to make $150k and never see my apt.

But I do eventually want to go out on my own. I don't necessarily have the legal experience in the fields I'm pursuing but I'm no recent undergrad direct-to-law-school newbie either. I have legitimate startup and venture experience and work with lawyers all the time.

Edit note: Nexus 4 swype is awful. The most erratic mobile typing method on any device. Terrible.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Only law school worth attending in the B1G is obviously Purdue! Wait... we are the only B1G school without a law school...

But back on topic, despite many credited advice ITT, this is clearly the only school ranking OP should consider.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 pm

What startup is going to hire a totally inexperienced lawyer? I think you need to reevaluate your plan because its unrealistic.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:07 am

Wtf is this thread?

Thethoughtcounts176

New

Post by Thethoughtcounts176 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:33 am

ImNoScar wrote:What startup is going to hire a totally inexperienced lawyer? I think you need to reevaluate your plan because its unrealistic.

It's funny the quick assumptions that are made on threads like this. I have connections with firms that do venture, acquisitions, and a variety of things that I'm not going to get into here because I don't want to divulge too much. I'd have to write an autobiography and i work on a lot of sensitive projects.

But yeah, i guess from the assumptions what I'm trying to do is very unrealistic lol. jeez, this is hilarious. When i said I'm not looking at huge firms, i didn't mean I'm going to go solo immediately. and i think i already said that. I'm still obviously going to work to be at a firm first before i venture out on my own. I can't believe these things need to be explained to people. I appreciate a lot of the feedback I've been getting from some of the responses, but my buddies warned me that law school can be like high school all over again.

And it's obviously apparent from some of the responses on this thread in particular. The assumptions being made immediately Last time i checked that doesn't make for a good lawyer. Maybe it's the LSAT mindset Awful, lol. Internet culture at its finest. Animalistic, foaming at the mouth when any perceived mistake can be ridiculed. As I'm sure we're all perfect and of course I've read every single FAQ and sticky, so why should i not know all this obvious information?

Could I be too busy with a variety of things going on in my life that would prevent me from reading through hundreds of threads to find my answer? Or maybe I am just being lazy? You're right. I am lazy. Call me stupid but my time is a lot more valuable than being a forum hero. Ridicule this thread's topic now. As I'm sure every person here with the football references is a full time hotshot partner at a big firm right now with all their t14 debt paid off. Yeah, I'm sure that's the case for every one of them.

Fucking internet man, lol. No wonder the NSA does the shit they do. To keep track of people who make them angry on online message boards lol.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:49 am

BigZuck wrote:Wtf is this thread?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:52 am

I'm really really really hoping this thread is a flame.

If not, OP don't go to law school.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:55 am

ImNoScar wrote:What startup is going to hire a totally inexperienced lawyer? I think you need to reevaluate your plan because its unrealistic.
I have a friend who just graduated from HYS and is now working for a startup. K-JD.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:58 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:OP, ignore all the comments above. The most important metric to focus on is employment placement rates. By this I mean the number of players each school will place in the NFL. Accordingly, schools like Alabama, University of Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Ohio State should be your target schools.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:47 am

Thethoughtcounts176 wrote:
jeez, this is hilarious.
Indeed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kenji

New

Post by kenji » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:10 am

TLS shitting up another thread. Way to go :roll:

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:43 am

Regulus wrote:You guys are forgetting something very important: UChicago used to be one of the original big ten, so I think that the OP should consider the Maroons alongside these other prestigious big-ten law schools (like Wisconsin, Indiana, etc.).

Also, this might provide some extremely useful insight about how to search for a great law school for those of you who like to base your academic decisions on American's national football league.
LOL WTF.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 am

jbagelboy wrote:Dude, obviously you go to the school with the most championship wins. Can't believe I'd have to explain this to someone:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... _champions

Michigan would be your #1, with Ohio State a close contender. Purdue law is always a solid choice despite their record. Kinda drops off after that: Definitely avoid TTT Northwestern - 8 wins in 114 years of membership? Pssht.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”