How many schools do TLS members apply to? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: How many schools do TLS members apply to?

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:41 pm

jordan15 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
jordan15 wrote:I plan on ~20, T14 + USC, UCLA, Davis, WUSTL, Fordham, and whatever other ones I think would be strategic for scholly negotiations. About half of the schools I am only applying for scholly negotions (sorry UVA and Duke...I don't want to live in the south for 3 years) and considering how Northwestern seems to admit almost everyone over a 170, I'm mainly shooting for HLS, CLS, and Northwestern.

It's also very possible that after taking tours of all of the schools I'm admitted to I will change my mind completely, in which case I want to have options.

If I don't get a single waiver it will be ~$2k. I think it's worth it. To make myself feel better I just think of all of the people spending that much in a bs LSAT prep course that I don't need.
If you have a realistic shot at the T14 I can't think of a scenario where applying to Davis makes sense. Waste of 16 (or more) dollars.
Family ties = free COL, could be useful in negotiating scholarships. I've read on this board that some people have negotiated discounted student housing.
Davis is traditionally pretty stingy and none of those schools would consider a scholarship from Davis when negotiating.

Also if you have T14 numbers and all you manage to snag is Davis you really shouldn't go to law school. You would be better served taking a year off and figuring out what went wrong with your cycle and correcting it. Davis is TTT.

Anyway it's your money and YOLO so if you want to apply then go for it.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:43 pm

They still charge you $25 per school even with fee waivers, right?

I was going to blanket the T14, but if that's the case, I'll probably apply to six or seven.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:52 pm

Regulus wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:They still charge you $25 per school even with fee waivers, right?

I was going to blanket the T14, but if that's the case, I'll probably apply to six or seven.
lol just apply to all 14. Having more T14 admits (and possibly scholarships) in up your sleeve to negotiate with later in the cycle will be worth the extra $25 per application that you paid for each of these schools.
But that leaves me with no beer money! :O

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:42 am

thewaves wrote:What is with the Berkeley hate? Is it just an East Coast thing? I'm thinking of going for all of the t14 even though I would have to pay for the Cornell app fee. They said lolno when I tried to solicit a waiver. I suppose the potential for scholarship money outweighs the cost (and whatever real/imaginary hurt pride I have from the snub).
I think it's just that you really have to want to go there for it to be worth it. Their scholarship matching only goes up to like 75k (and is a hassle), so they aren't very helpful for negotiation purposes. People with high scores frequently have much better offers at similarly ranked schools, so if it's not one of your top couple of choices, it might not be worth the $100.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jordan15 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
jordan15 wrote:I plan on ~20, T14 + USC, UCLA, Davis, WUSTL, Fordham, and whatever other ones I think would be strategic for scholly negotiations. About half of the schools I am only applying for scholly negotions (sorry UVA and Duke...I don't want to live in the south for 3 years) and considering how Northwestern seems to admit almost everyone over a 170, I'm mainly shooting for HLS, CLS, and Northwestern.

It's also very possible that after taking tours of all of the schools I'm admitted to I will change my mind completely, in which case I want to have options.

If I don't get a single waiver it will be ~$2k. I think it's worth it. To make myself feel better I just think of all of the people spending that much in a bs LSAT prep course that I don't need.
If you have a realistic shot at the T14 I can't think of a scenario where applying to Davis makes sense. Waste of 16 (or more) dollars.
Family ties = free COL, could be useful in negotiating scholarships. I've read on this board that some people have negotiated discounted student housing.
Davis is traditionally pretty stingy and none of those schools would consider a scholarship from Davis when negotiating.

Also if you have T14 numbers and all you manage to snag is Davis you really shouldn't go to law school. You would be better served taking a year off and figuring out what went wrong with your cycle and correcting it. Davis is TTT.

Anyway it's your money and YOLO so if you want to apply then go for it.
Like I said, I've read on this board that people have negotiated schollies or reduced housing costs by saying "I got accepted to X which would allow me to live at home, saving me ~$30k/yr and while I love your school more, the COL is very daunting" or something to that measure.

You're probably right that in the end it'll turn out to not help, but my choice of Davis is not without reason. There's a legitimate (if small) possibility.

And when you're already spending $1900...an extra $100 doesn't really register tbh.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:25 pm

10 my first cycle, 6 my second cycle

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:35 pm

cotiger wrote:
thewaves wrote:What is with the Berkeley hate? Is it just an East Coast thing? I'm thinking of going for all of the t14 even though I would have to pay for the Cornell app fee. They said lolno when I tried to solicit a waiver. I suppose the potential for scholarship money outweighs the cost (and whatever real/imaginary hurt pride I have from the snub).
I think it's just that you really have to want to go there for it to be worth it. Their scholarship matching only goes up to like 75k (and is a hassle), so they aren't very helpful for negotiation purposes. People with high scores frequently have much better offers at similarly ranked schools, so if it's not one of your top couple of choices, it might not be worth the $100.
This is my reason for not applying. If you're an East Coaster, and you don't want to work in California, I think Stanford's the only reasonable choice. If Berkeley were more generous with scholarships, then it could be another story.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 pm

I am applying to 16. The T14 plus two others.

I haven't read this entire thread, and I'm sure it's been covered already, but applying to more is more expensive, but very likely will end up saving a ton of money overall because of schollies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:33 am

I applied to about 23 I believe. Just in case my soft is a wildcard.

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 am

I was only going to apply to probably around 10 or so but thanks to fee waivers (which I didn't even know where a thing for merit-based cases until after I took the LSAT :oops: ) I will be probably applying to 15 or 16 -- T14 (probably sans GULC) plus UCLA/USC as I gotta at least entertain the idea of not leaving my beloved Southern California.

Robbin Blue

Silver

Post by Robbin Blue » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 pm

13 right now, but I think I'm going to end up not applying to Berkeley. Even with the fee waiver, I'm just not interested in the school really. Including Berkley, 10 T14, two T1, and 1 TTT. :lol:

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 pm

23... Top 14 minus Yale and U Chicago, a few T1s in areas I would consider living/working, and a few with large public interest scholarships ( UW, northeastern, wcl).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:46 pm

I don't think I'll be applying to Stanford or Berkley or Georgetown. I

figure I can get into 1 or 2 of CCN, and H, if very lucky. Planning on also applying to MVP, NU, Cornell and Duke. Hoping this is enough for scholarship negotiation purposes. Would love a full ride :D

I'm still debating on applying to yale or not.

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:24 pm

8 of the T14 and Fordham. I was only going to do 6, but then FEE WAIVERS! I want to stay around NYC, so it limited things.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:53 pm

I originally planned to blanket the T14, but I'm sticking at 6 for now. If I don't hear back by mid-December for some of the schools, I will start hitting the rest of the T14.

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:27 pm

paglababa wrote: I'm still debating on applying to yale or not.
I had that debate with myself for a while as well. I'm basically an auto-reject given my GPA (non-URM) and lack of killer softs. However, with fee waivers to other schools that I had initially planned on paying to apply to I figured what the hell I can use some of that money saved on other apps and send one to Yale for the hell of it. I'm not even going to look at the app until after the rest of my apps are done in the next week or so. Since I'm fortunate enough to be okay with essentially wasting the app fee I just feel like I have to give somebody the chance at Yale to accidentally file me as accepted (we can dream can't we?).

I have the same sort of feelings towards Stanford. My LSAT is above their 75th but GPA is low for them and based on LSN it's not happening. BUT, I grew up in the Bay Area and went to Stanford baseball and football games all the time as a kid. Stanford is just that symbol of the most elite institution in my eyes. Not to mention that if a miracle acceptance happened I'd be paying sticker, but it is only about 30-40 minutes from my dad's house and I have friends in the area so CoL would be severely reduced (not to mention free meals from parents). So again I want to know for sure that I at least gave myself a chance.

If money were tight then I would certainly not send one to Yale and I would think long and hard about sending one to Stanford. But fee waivers from other schools have made it justifiable to myself.
Last edited by drevo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 pm

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:09 am

jts723

Bronze

Post by jts723 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:09 am

11; might end up being 12-13.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:27 pm

HYS
CC
Duke
Texas

Nice spread. Every time I was going to apply to another, I thought: Would I go there over Texas or Duke? If the answer was no...I didn't apply.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Instinctive wrote:7.

HYS
CC
Duke
Texas

Nice spread. Every time I was going to apply to another, I thought: Would I go there over Texas or Duke? If the answer was no...I didn't apply.
I would not have gone to Cornell over Duke. But my scholarship at Cornell was 23K more than at Duke and I used it to get Duke to match. $16<$23,000. So there's that.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:

HYS
CC
Duke
Texas

I would not have gone to Cornell over Duke. But my scholarship at Cornell was 23K more than at Duke and I used it to get Duke to match. $16<$23,000. So there's that.
Yeah that's a great point, unique to everyone. I'll be competitive for a full scholly at all but HYS though so I didn't think I would need that type of fallback plan.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Instinctive wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

HYS
CC
Duke
Texas

Yeah that's a great point, unique to everyone. I'll be competitive for a full scholly at all but HYS though so I didn't think I would need that type of fallback plan.
Siiiiiiiick

Don't bother applying to UT then. Use the $16 (is it now $20?) to buy a 12 pack of something nice.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:Siiiiiiiick

Don't bother applying to UT then. Use the $16 (is it now $20?) to buy a 12 pack of something nice.
$25.

Bloodsuckers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”