Georgetown or Michigan (off WL)??? Help please!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

Michigan
59%
Georgetown
41%

Total votes: 39

rgsm1987

Georgetown or Michigan (off WL)??? Help please!!

Postby rgsm1987 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 am

On Friday, I received a call from Michigan offering me a place off the wait list. I have no idea what to do. I know it's my decision to make, but I'm terrible at decisionmaking and would really really appreciate any advice. Here are my conflicted thoughts:

Georgetown Pros
Love DC, and all of my friends and family (including a boyfriend in Boston) are on the East Coast. This is a big one for me.
I'm interested in public interest, and it seems to have a great program.
Already put down $$$.
I had sort of mentally settled on the school at this point.

Georgetown Cons
The class size is big for my liking.
A little worried about the job prospects coming out (may be linked to the big class size).

Michigan Pros
The "better" school.
Loved it when I visited.
From what I'm told, it also has a pretty good public interest program.
Smaller class size.

Michigan Cons
It feels far away from home and loved ones.
I would ideally want to be in a city, I loved it when it visited but was concerned it felt a little like a "bubble", and a bit college-y (I will be almost 4 years out).

Thanks!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Georgetown or Michigan (off WL)??? Help please!!

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:00 am

If retaking is an option, you should consider it.

Only go to Georgetown if you're sure you want to practice in DC. Michigan will do better anywhere else, even though its job numbers have been lagging lately.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:36 am

TLS wrote:You need to do this first. All of it.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:12 am

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:16 pm

SO's are over-rated.

Without costs, no one can help you. For example, GU for free easily beats Michigan at sticker. OTOH, Michigan with a substantial scholly trumps GU at most prices.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Assuming equal cost, Mich. Unless you have ties to, and are sure you want to work in dc, and even then I'd consider M.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm interested in public interest, and it seems to have a great program.

Michigan's LRAP is objectively better than GULC. UMich has a cap of 88k, 5 year window of eligibility. GULC has a cap of 75k with a 2-year eligibility window.

That said, neither of these choices are especially grand, especially if you're only "interested" in PI. If you're four years out, I understand the motivation to get in as quickly as possible -- even moreso if you think you'll have 10 years of fairly underpaid work right out of law school to qualify for LRAP.

Don't rush into either one. Consider sitting the cycle out and retaking.

terps8787

Postby terps8787 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:42 pm

While I can't claim this is a wholly objective observation, two things to consider that often get lost amidst rankings, job placement statistics, etc.

(1) Where do you think you would be most comfortable? Irrespective of all the other quantitative factors, you need to ask yourself "Is this somewhere where I would be comfortable and happy?" Success in law school or any pursuit benefits tremendously from being in an environment that best suits you.

(2) If public interest is your passion, then bear in mind that DC is at the epicenter of this field. It is true that a degree from a top tier school will avail you of opportunities everywhere. But don't discount the impact of going to school in a city where, given your desire for public interest, you will be exposed to a range of opportunities.

This is my two cents. It is not an easy decision and I agree with the others on here that you should not rush into it. Good luck.

tomatotom

Postby tomatotom » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:59 pm

I'll second terps8787's advice.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Do you have scholarship money at either school?

If both schools are at sticker and OP is paying via loans, TCR should be retake/reapply.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:18 pm

You need to do all of this so that we will feel even better about telling you to retake or don't go:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

It would also help if you explain why you ignored those instructions. A lot of people do it and we need to figure out a way to get them to stop.

Postby 2014 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:49 pm

I cannot in good faith suggest anyone go to GULC for basically any reason ever, so I'd take Michigan here. Better job prospects should trump emotional things.

Also, while GULC is closer to an airport to visit your bf, it is still quite a trip up the east coast. It shouldn't be much more of a burden to fly from Detroit to Boston than it is to fly from DC to Boston.

rgsm1987

Postby rgsm1987 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for the responses, here's the additional information I should have included:

They're both at sticker, though cost isn't one of my main considerations as my family will be paying and have told me to just go to the best school (for me) that I can. Honestly, I feel lucky just to be in at either one given my numbers (2.94/173 in 1 sitting). Obviously it's the GPA and not the LSAT holding me back, so retaking or waiting now that I'm 4 years out probably isn't an option. I'd probably want to work in Cali, DC, or Boston, but not completely sure at this point.

Also, when I said I'm "interested in" public interest law, I misspoke. I will 100% go into public interest law or government. I worked at a big law firm in NYC for 2 years and hated the work and 75% of the people there.

Thanks again!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:18 am

As always, with rich parents just pick your poison. YOLO. Whichever feels right to you, we can't given any insight based on your own personal preferences.

rgsm1987

Postby rgsm1987 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:58 am

BigZuck wrote:You need to do all of this so that we will feel even better about telling you to retake or don't go:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299

It would also help if you explain why you ignored those instructions. A lot of people do it and we need to figure out a way to get them to stop.

Also, re: ignoring those instructions, I went to the new topic button and didn't see it at all. Though it's pinned, it looks like any other post and my intention was to quickly write a post not to read other posts. I do understand the frustration though-- maybe make the font bigger if possible? Sorry, no good answers here.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Go blue.

You won't have much time to see your family and loved ones during the semesters anyway, and Ann Arbor isn't that far away from the east coast.

You can always work in a big city during your summers and when you graduate. I spent a few years in Ann Arbor and live on the east coast now. Ann arbor is a really special place and treasured my time there.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:06 am

Now that we know you're a super-splitter, we know that there's no point for you to retake. It's not like you're leaving substantial scholarship money on the table anywhere.

I don't like Michigan at sticker, but GULC at sticker is horrifying. Michigan is easily the best of these options. Its placement power has taken a hit in recent years, but GULC's is by far the weakest of the T14.

Grades at both schools are important, and high-end PI/gov't is harder to get than BigLaw. Accordingly, you're going to be (or should be) too busy during law school to pay frequent visits to friends up and down the East Coast. If you want to visit your SO in Boston, both DC and Ann Arbor/Detroit are pretty short plane flights away. You didn't specify where your family lives, but if it's not in or very near DC, you wouldn't be visiting them regularly at GULC anyway. Unless you're on break, let them come to you.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:31 am

rgsm1987 wrote: (2.94/173 in 1 sitting)

Seeing these numbers makes me extremely happy.

I'd go to Michigan if I were you, but what do I know, I'm a 0L.

sausageandeggslover

Postby sausageandeggslover » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:19 am

deleted

Return to “Choosing a Law School”