NYU vs. UVA vs. Retake Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU vs. UVA vs. Retake

NYU at Sticker (well, kinda--see explanation)
57%
UVA at Sticker (kinda)
14%
Retake and reapply next cycle
29%

Total votes: 14

oldschool123

New

NYU vs. UVA vs. Retake

Post by oldschool123 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Stats: 171/3.5
Interests: PI/govt. environmental law, ties to the tri-state area, wouldn't mind working in that area or in DC or in CA
Spent a year in NYC getting my MPA in Environmental Policy at Columbia and while I'm not crazy about how dirty/busy NYC is, I do have a lot of friends/relatives in the area still and wouldn't mind returning there (I have a feeling UVA isn't going to be getting a lot of TLS votes anyways)

So I realize ahead of time that this explanation probably contains some info that frankly some of you don't give a shit about but I figured I may as well include the whole story....

I took the October test (first and regrettably only time I've taken it) and scored a 171. I unfortunately fell into the trap of listening to everyone around me who was telling me that I was being an absolute fool for being disappointed with a 171, and I had never really been on TLS before to see the vast amount of "retake" advice that I've seen now. I also was extremely ignorant at the time as to the difference in scholarship opportunities that can exist for a 171 vs. a 175+. So I settled on my 171 and began applying to schools, thinking that I needed to get my applications in as early as possible and not realizing that 4-5 extra LSAT points are way, way more valuable than the timing of the application.

Long story short, I'm now deciding between NYU sticker and UVA sticker. I so, so, so badly regret not retaking in December and/or February, but there is nothing I can do about that now. I can retake in June hoping to get scholarship money out of either of those schools but at this stage of the game I don't think it'd be likely. I'm lucky enough to have a parent who makes a significant amount of money and would be more than happy to cover my first two years, which is what makes this decision tough right now. If I go ahead and enroll at either of those two schools then I would have to take out 0 loans for the first two years, and then probably loans for 3L. That parent is hoping to retire in 2 years, which throws a big wrench in the "retake and wait until next cycle" idea because they would prefer that I attend while they are still working and can provide a significant portion of the funds needed (and I'd feel like an asshole if I retook and waited until next cycle only to see minimal improvement on my retake). However, a scholarship that would allow them to save $50-100K of their hard-earned money would also be very nice.

I also realize that this is a very, very fortunate and lucky situation to be in, but the decision is still stressful as hell, and advice from people around me is close to worthless since they are all as ignorant as I was months ago. Any input from you guys is welcome at this point, and I appreciate it if you've taken the time to read this far.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: NYU vs. UVA vs. Retake

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm

You definitely should retake and show your parent examples on LSN of how increasing your LSAT a few points can save them $50k+. I feel like it's rather silly logic to want you to attend law school while they are still working. Why couldn't they just put away the same amount of money they would have paid while they are working and save it for one year?

oldschool123

New

Post by oldschool123 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:24 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:You definitely should retake and show your parent examples on LSN of how increasing your LSAT a few points can save them $50k+. I feel like it's rather silly logic to want you to attend law school while they are still working. Why couldn't they just put away the same amount of money they would have paid while they are working and save it for one year?

I agree, and I knew someone would bring this up because it's one of the first things I thought of as well.

They did have an explanation for that fuzzy logic but it's a conversation that needs to happen again this week/weekend.

And again it's risky, because though I was PT'ing in the 175 range including some high 170s and one 180, you never know what will happen actual test day and a couple questions wrong here and there again could cost me those points again. But still it's definitely a conversation that needs to happen again to see if they're willing to put up with that "risk"
Last edited by oldschool123 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 pm

Retake, reapply and have your parent set aside $30k in escrow or something. Then it's a win-win. They pay less and you get more scholly.

If you don't want to reapply, then NYU.

jvincent11

Bronze

Post by jvincent11 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 pm

From a financial standpoint, it's better for them if you wait a year. Finance 101: Time Value of Money. The money they would have given you next year will instead be earning interest in the bank for a full year. This is in addition to the obvious benefit of potential increase in scholarships.

What about deposit and retake in June to keep options open?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oldschool123

New

Post by oldschool123 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm

jvincent11 wrote: What about deposit and retake in June to keep options open?

That's the plan for now. I'm going to ASW at NYU this week and thinking I'll send in my deposit after that, with the plan of retaking in June and keeping options open.....

I'm also worried that the retake and reapply strategy could backfire if my score doesn't end up increasing that much, just because I feel lucky to have gotten into NYU once and it wouldn't exactly be a sure thing getting in a second time

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:42 pm

oldschool123 wrote:I'm also worried that the retake and reapply strategy could backfire if my score doesn't end up increasing that much, just because I feel lucky to have gotten into NYU once and it wouldn't exactly be a sure thing getting in a second time
LSN shows that people with your current LSAT/GPA frequently get money from Mich, Duke and Northwestern, but the T10 is a toss up for money. If you bumped your LSAT up to a 175, then it becomes possible that NYU, UVA and Penn would try around $50-60k at you.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 pm

OP, what were you PTing at? Your GPA will hold you back regardless, but obviously an improvement will increase your chances for scholarship at either of these schools. Still, it's not like you shit the bed with that 171...

oldschool123

New

Post by oldschool123 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Doorkeeper wrote: LSN shows that people with your current LSAT/GPA frequently get money from Mich, Duke and Northwestern, but the T10 is a toss up for money. If you bumped your LSAT up to a 175, then it becomes possible that NYU, UVA and Penn would try around $50-60k at you.
I got WL'd at Duke and I'm not interested in Mich at all just because I've lived in Michigan for 6 years and don't want to stay at all. I just wasn't into Northwestern when i visited but probably should've applied anyways just to have seen what would have happened.....i only got $45K from GW and $85K from BC though so if that's any indication then I don't think I would've gotten much from M/D/N. Unless GW and BC are both particularly stingy with scholarships, I'm not sure if they are one way or the other, but it's probably mostly just the 3.5 holding me back.

moonman157 wrote: OP, what were you PTing at? Your GPA will hold you back regardless, but obviously an improvement will increase your chances for scholarship at either of these schools. Still, it's not like you shit the bed with that 171...
PTing at 175+ for three weeks-ish before the test, mostly in the 175-177 range but with a couple 179s and one 180 in the week before the test. For sure didn't shit the bed with a 171 but I just feel like an asshole for not just retaking in December and/or February haha really no explanation for it besides pure ignorance

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:28 am

Fwiw I had your same gpa and 179 lsat and have 35k a year offers from uva and nyu. If you think you cand do better, I'd retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”