UCI Ranking prediction Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sublime

Diamond

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:27 pm

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:29 pm

sublime12089 wrote:

But I am SO BORED working overnights lol
Where are you, China?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 pm

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:50 pm

gitguy wrote:I'm perturbed as to why anyone here actually care what Dr. Dre thinks. Also, I turned down a full ride at Chapman to defer with UCI. That was based on hearing from several people who are doing judicial clerks that federal judges have no desire to hire Chapman grads.
go to chapman and you won't disappoint, you will have a better career than if you go to uci law, which honestly, i don't even expect it to last, word

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:34 pm

LiquidJames wrote:
gitguy wrote:I'm perturbed as to why anyone here actually care what Dr. Dre thinks. Also, I turned down a full ride at Chapman to defer with UCI. That was based on hearing from several people who are doing judicial clerks that federal judges have no desire to hire Chapman grads.
go to chapman and you won't disappoint, you will have a better career than if you go to uci law, which honestly, i don't even expect it to last, word
My official cue to exit this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:46 pm

LiquidJames wrote:
were you at the scholar's weekend event? You are really the only kid who I have heard from at chapman who says such things. Everyone I spoke to did not even try to tell me to attend Chapman when I told them I was in at UCI.

Sidenote: Where do you think chapman compares with other schools in the state? is it Stanford, Cal, UCLA/Chapman/USC?

ammanley

New

Post by ammanley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 pm

were you at the scholar's weekend event? You are really the only kid who I have heard from at chapman who says such things. Everyone I spoke to did not even try to tell me to attend Chapman when I told them I was in at UCI.

Sidenote: Where do you think chapman compares with other schools in the state? is it Stanford, Cal, UCLA/Chapman/USC?
this should be good.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm

LOL at the chapman enthusiast! :lol:

But what's even funnier is that you guys are arguing about one TTTT and one TTT.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:LOL at the chapman enthusiast! :lol:

But what's even funnier is that you guys are arguing about one TTTT and one TTT.
Dre always finds a way to bring a smile to my day :lol: .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
LiquidJames wrote:

i don't think it's fair to compare us to stanfard/cal, T-14 is in a league of their own. however, that does not mean we do not have the quality of education that other t-50 schools enjoy. of course ranking does not list us high , but i think the conventional wisdom is that the ranking is highly artificial and unreliable, even with that however, i do think our ranking will rival IUB/Wisconsin/UNC in a few years. so i think we will be a peer school to USC/UCLA soon enough, and definitely better than UCI, which is a TTTT

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:48 pm

LiquidJames wrote: i do think our ranking will rival IUB/Wisconsin/UNC in a few years. so i think we will be a peer school to USC/UCLA soon enough
LMAO

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Which one is the TTT and which one is the TTTT?

Oh wait, who the F@#$ cares.

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:03 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

Which one is the TTT and which one is the TTTT?

Oh wait, who the F@#$ cares.
i don't think you should focus too much on the ranking, although UCI is TTTT in real life and in ranking, chapman is only currently TTT in ranking, when it deserves to be a top 100 school now and a top 50 school in the near future

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:15 pm

LiquidJames wrote: i don't think you should focus too much on the ranking, although UCI is TTTT in real life and in ranking, chapman is only currently TTT in ranking, when it deserves to be a top 100 school now and a top 50 school in the near future
I'd be more concerned about beating Loyola in the employment statistics before talking about top 50.

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:18 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
LiquidJames wrote: i don't think you should focus too much on the ranking, although UCI is TTTT in real life and in ranking, chapman is only currently TTT in ranking, when it deserves to be a top 100 school now and a top 50 school in the near future
I'd be more concerned about beating Loyola in the employment statistics before talking about top 50.
loyola is slightly better than UCI but still trash, i don't think we should be overly concerned with it

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 pm

LiquidJames wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
LiquidJames wrote:

i don't think it's fair to compare us to stanfard/cal, T-14 is in a league of their own. however, that does not mean we do not have the quality of education that other t-50 schools enjoy. of course ranking does not list us high , but i think the conventional wisdom is that the ranking is highly artificial and unreliable, even with that however, i do think our ranking will rival IUB/Wisconsin/UNC in a few years. so i think we will be a peer school to USC/UCLA soon enough, and definitely better than UCI, which is a TTTT
I'm really impressed with the commitment to trolling this new wave of trolls has brought with them. Scifiguy and this liquid bro are truly masters of their craft. Well played sirs

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:52 pm

11 pages of UCI

really?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:11 pages of UCI

really?
how have you been trolling for over 1000 posts and not banned yet? you contribute nothing to the conversation except uci bashing

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 pm

LiquidJames wrote:

really?
how have you been trolling for over 1000 posts and not banned yet? you contribute nothing to the conversation except uci bashing

me trolling? HAVE you seen how many people have benefited from this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=206480

all of your posts have been shit. Your like a little chapman cheerleader.

except i only agree with you that uci is TTTT

scretcher

New

Post by scretcher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm

LiquidJames wrote:well, outside california, how many lawyers/judges even know of UCI? probably a 0 for many of them, and i believe it weighs 40% for ranking purposes?
Your "40%" belief is way off. See the two reputation-related scores below:

Methodology: Best Law Schools Rankings

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... s-rankings
Peer assessment score (0.25): In fall 2012, law school deans, deans of academic affairs, chairs of faculty appointments, and the most recently tenured faculty members were asked to rate programs on a scale from marginal (1) to outstanding (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark "don't know."

A school's score is the average of all the respondents who rated it. Responses of "don't know" counted neither for nor against a school. About 63 percent of those surveyed responded.

Assessment score by lawyers/judges (0.15): In fall 2012, legal professionals, including the hiring partners of law firms, state attorneys general, and selected federal and state judges, were asked to rate programs on a scale from 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark "don't know."

A school's score is the average of all the respondents who rated it. Responses of "don't know" counted neither for nor against a school.

In the fall 2012 lawyer and judge survey, U.S. News for the third year in a row surveyed hiring partners and recruiters at law firms who made the 2012 Best Law Firms rankings produced jointly by U.S. News and the publication Best Lawyers. Their ratings are included in the lawyer and judge survey score.

About 9 percent of those lawyers and judges surveyed responded. The two most recent years of the lawyer and judge surveys were averaged and weighted by 0.15.
So some points I think are important....

Peer assessment score (aka scores from faculty and administrators at other schools):
1. If someone scoring a school does not know enough about a school, and admits to that fact, their evaluation is null.

2. Scholarly impact isn't an equivalent ranking, but is likely an extremely important factor when one school is evaluating another. You'll have to scroll down, but ever so slightly: http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_ ... pact.shtml

Assessment score by lawyers/judges:
1. This score only goes into 15% of the ranking, not 40%.

2. "Don't know" responses don't count. So, if the assessment of the school done be lawyers/judges is based off their knowledge of the faculty, then UCI is going to get good scores in this category.

If the lawyers/judges assessment is based of the lawyers they know who graduated from the school, it will also get a good score. Again, "don't know" doesn't count. Therefore the quality, not the quantity of graduates matters. Assessments will be done for UCI in 2014 for the 2015 rankings, which is first year UCI will be ranked. In 2014, lawyers/judges will only have TWO, possibly THREE classes to evaluate when determining UCI's first ranking. If lawyers/judges base their assessment of the school on the lawyers they know who came from it, then they have at least one stellar class to look at. If you need reminding, the first graduating class from UCI had a 36% judicial clerkship placement, which is one of the most prestigious post-graduation law jobs a lawyer can get. If you get one of those, you're probably pretty damn impressive.

3. Chemerinsky is extremely well-known and well-regarded within the legal community on both coasts. That helps him while he champions the school whenever he has the opportunity to do so.

4. I attended UCI's Moot Court Finals during their ASW and the competition's judges were all from the court of appeals, all from different circuits [Hon. Robert Bacharach (Tenth Circuit), Hon. Theodore McKee (Third Circuit), Hon. Bruce Selya (First Circuit)]. At the end of the competition, the judges, who didn't seem to even know there was a number of prospective students sitting in the audience, spoke about how impressed they were with the law school and how excited they were for its future.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 pm

scretcher wrote:the judges, who didn't seem to even know there was a number of prospective students sitting in the audience, spoke about how impressed they were with the law school and how excited they were for its future.

lol

because this matters so much

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scretcher

New

Post by scretcher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
scretcher wrote:the judges, who didn't seem to even know there was a number of prospective students sitting in the audience, spoke about how impressed they were with the law school and how excited they were for its future.

lol

Dude.
Dre.
You can do better than that.

The point i was trying to make was that it was not Chemerinsky's voice coming through someone else's mouth. Instead it was non-local, non-affiliated and respectable people having legitimately great things to say about the school.

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:18 pm

scretcher wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

lol

Dude.
Dre.

The point i was trying to make was that it was not Chemerinsky's voice coming through someone else's mouth. Instead it was non-local, non-affiliated and respectable people having legitimately great things to say about the school.
don't feed the troll man, why even take him seriously

scretcher

New

Post by scretcher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:20 pm

LiquidJames wrote:
scretcher wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

lol

Dude.
Dre.

don't feed the troll man, why even take him seriously

http://nerdr.com/why-we-need-trolls/

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:25 pm

LiquidJames wrote:

really?
Dude, you've contributed nothing good to this forum. Dre has opened up my mind about the world of pencils. What have you done? Other than push a TTTTTTTTTTT onto us?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”