University of San Diego or Chapman Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Re: University of San Diego or Chapman Law School

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:36 am

Are their financed bad? Did she cheat? How does a healthy 3 yrs lead to wanting to see other dudes?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:50 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:Are their financed bad? Did she cheat? How does a healthy 3 yrs lead to wanting to see other dudes?

Bro I don't know much of the situation, but they were good financially, she did not cheat, and it was healthy.

She just decided that marriage was not for her anymore. Very random. I don't know how the hell that happens but it did. So life can be unpredictable so it's better to concentrate building yourself up than to waste time with someone else.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:Are their financed bad? Did she cheat? How does a healthy 3 yrs lead to wanting to see other dudes?

Bro I don't know much of the situation, but they were good financially, she did not cheat, and it was healthy.

She just decided that marriage was not for her anymore. Very random. I don't know how the hell that happens but it did. So life can be unpredictable so it's better to concentrate building yourself up than to waste time with someone else.
That sucks brah. I'm sorry for him.

But the female brain generally doesn't move away from their current partner unless they have someone in the wings to replace them with so maybe he can hire a PI to make sure he doesn't get further burned with alimony. Only us males are dumb enough to think all women like us when we're taken only to realize it was overconfidence after we leave.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:22 pm

To try to get this thread back on track...

dissonance1848 wrote:Neither law school is acceptable, unless its fullride with no stips and living stipend, and even then.....

Retake or don't go OP, really.

That's dumb. His employer is paying a portion of it so he can work in a legal capacity at his job. He will be working full time and going part time to law school. How is this dumb? There are not that many law schools to begin with that even have part time programs. This is the ideal situation where it makes perfect sense to go to USD part time.

I agree it would be worth it to retake to get more scholarship money, but to say USD law school is not acceptable is preposterous. (Chapman is not worth it since they have stips).

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:Both are rancid shitholes in terms of job prospects
giggled

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:43 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:t to say USD law school is not acceptable is preposterous
this.

acceptable indeed but it still is not a good choice

giltzer14

New

Post by giltzer14 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:09 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:To try to get this thread back on track...

dissonance1848 wrote:Neither law school is acceptable, unless its fullride with no stips and living stipend, and even then.....

Retake or don't go OP, really.

That's dumb. His employer is paying a portion of it so he can work in a legal capacity at his job. He will be working full time and going part time to law school. How is this dumb? There are not that many law schools to begin with that even have part time programs. This is the ideal situation where it makes perfect sense to go to USD part time.

I agree it would be worth it to retake to get more scholarship money, but to say USD law school is not acceptable is preposterous. (Chapman is not worth it since they have stips).

Thanks for getting this thread back on track! haha. Do you still favor USD over Chapman when USD offered me a NON-renewable scholarship? If I had renewable $$ at USD it would be a no brainer. Rankings and all that have me second guessing where I should go.... and even attending law school in general. Chapman's scholarship is renewable AND they also gave me a $5,000 grant that is renewable every year as long as my financial situation doesn't dramatically change...and it won't while i'm in law school. USD I only have the 33% 1st year scholarship and that's it.... no need-based grant. They also said I WILL NOT be considered for need-based grants after year 1. Both schools offer scholarships to top performers each year (usually top 20%) so that's a wash.

Here's a quick summary in terms of actual amounts $$$:

Chapman: ~35,000 part-time tuition (annual)
- $16,000 scholarship (renewable if 3.0 GPA every year)
-$5,000 grant (renewable each year)
-$6,000 tuition reimbursement (my employer - annual)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
= $8,000 out of pocket cost for tuition for 1L (and for 2L-4L if I maintain a 3.0 GPA)
=$24,000 out of pocket PER YEAR cost for tuition for 2L - 4L, if I don't maintain a 3.0 GPA.

USD: ~33,000 part-time tuition (annual)
- $12,000 scholarship (NON-renewable, first year only)
-$0 (No grant offered - will NOT be offered throughout all 4 years)
-$6,000 tuition reimbursement (my employer - annual)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
=$15,000 out of pocket cost for tuition for 1L
=$27,000 out of pocket PER YEAR cost for tuition for 2L - 4L, unless I am in top ~20% of class.

I also will be paying part of these tuition costs out of pocket, so these costs won't be entirely loans, by any means. each year since I will be working I can afford to do this. Regardless, I want to make the smartest choice financially and academically.

This is a tough decision, because if I don't maintain a 3.0 GPA at Chapman I'm going to be wishing I went to USD when it's practically the same cost w/o a scholarship.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:39 am

Yes. Thats 96k for a law degree that will get you a guaranteed legal position for your company. Whats to ask? Chapman isn't worth it because it has stips. You don't know how well you will do. USD is a solid school for a legal education and is known...can't say the same for Chapman. USD is just sorta hit or miss because it's in a small legal market and USD sends about 10% of its grads to their former employer that skews employment stats that people aren't aware of. In this case it's a good school for you to attain your goals.

But my question earlier was how much will you be making after getting your law degree working for your company and how much do you make now? If the pay raise is substantial then it's worth it.

Have you negotiated w/ USD your other offer? Can't hurt and you might get more money.

TCR is to maximize your LSAT if you can retake. But USD is your best bet...even though you have to pay for it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:43 pm

giltzer14 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Both are rancid shitholes in terms of job prospects

The only way I'd go is if your employer will hire you as an attorney after

See http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=ca
I agree that these schools are nothing compared to the T14...but I wouldn't go that far. And yes, I am looking into working with my company after graduation. It's a real possibility, but I do need to get it 100% figured out before I start.
Rad is harsh, but he's right. They are rancid. Not just compared to T14s, but by any metric (most importantly, the jobs metric). You really should retake or not go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Meepo

New

Post by Meepo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:01 pm

chapman is a great school in OC, in fact the best one among accredited schools in the county

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Meepo wrote:chapman is a great school in OC, in fact the best one among accredited schools in the county
It's better than UCI

But not among the best in the country

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Is hiring a tutor for the CA Bar not an option to bailing on law school? You'd save lots of $, may only need a year and it's not like anything you learn in law school will be useful to your company.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Meepo wrote:chapman is a great school in OC, in fact the best one among accredited schools in the county
Yeah just not at getting people jobs. It's one of the worst law schools in the country at that, with just 33% finding real lawyer jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
It's better than UCI

ROFLMAO.

Better than UCI???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:02 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
It's better than UCI

ROFLMAO.

not by a lot, but yes

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
It's better than UCI

ROFLMAO.

not by a lot, but yes
yur nuts.

I can't wait for UCI to get accredited and start posting stats on LST so it can get the respect it deserves.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:06 pm

UCI law does not deserve any respect

the UC's are already suffering and they go ahead building a toilet of a law school

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”