Brooklyn v. St. John's

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Brooklyn or St. John's?

Brooklyn (41K scholarship)
5
42%
St. John's (full tuition scholarship)
7
58%
 
Total votes: 12

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby pwnyc127 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:37 pm

These are my backup schools, not my first choice, however I am trying to eliminate one of them.
Brooklyn:
-41K per year, renewable if grades are in top 80% of class
St. John's
-Full tuition scholarship, renewable if grades are in top 40% of class

I ran this poll a while ago but things have changed since then, the new employment stats show a general upwards trend in employment for St. John's graduates while BLS had suffered a significant decline in the class of 2011 and has only recovered by a few percentage points according to class of 2012 stats.
See for yourself here: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=brooklyn
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=stjohns

Which should I pick as my backup school and why?

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:46 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:These are my backup schools, not my first choice, however I am trying to eliminate one of them.
Brooklyn:
-41K per year, renewable if grades are in top 80% of class
St. John's
-Full tuition scholarship, renewable if grades are in top 40% of class


If you can't get the stip eliminated at St John's, then eliminate both. I would recommend going to St John's for free and drop out if you don't get top 40%, but I have come to realize that cognitive biases kick in that convince people they should stay even if they lose the scholarship and pay full tuition at a school they wouldn't have paid full price for as a 0L (sunk cost fallacy, cognitive dissonance, prospect theory, etc). At the end of the day you can only attend one school anyway so I don't know why you need a "backup school"....unless the reason it is a very obvious ploy to get us to choose between these two choices without telling you to retake

I ran this poll a while ago but things have changed since then, the new employment stats show a general upwards trend in employment for St. John's graduates while BLS had suffered a significant decline in the class of 2011 and has only recovered by a few percentage points according to class of 2012 stats.
See for yourself here: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=brooklyn
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=stjohns

Which should I pick as my backup school and why?


Is this a joke? You are saying it now makes sense to go to St John's bc they are placing 49% of their students in full-time long-term jobs? How can you look at those percentages and conclude that it makes sense to attend either school?

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby pwnyc127 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 pm

My plan is to use the higher scholarships at these schools to convince a significantly better school to increase my scholarship amount. I will put down deposits at both and continue negotiations with the admissions committee. If the better school refuses to increase my scholarship, I may end up taking the money at the lesser institution and working my ass off for top 10% of the class.

Master Tofu
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby Master Tofu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:24 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:These are my backup schools, not my first choice, however I am trying to eliminate one of them.
Brooklyn:
-41K per year, renewable if grades are in top 80% of class
St. John's
-Full tuition scholarship, renewable if grades are in top 40% of class

I ran this poll a while ago but things have changed since then, the new employment stats show a general upwards trend in employment for St. John's graduates while BLS had suffered a significant decline in the class of 2011 and has only recovered by a few percentage points according to class of 2012 stats.
See for yourself here: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=brooklyn
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=stjohns

Which should I pick as my backup school and why?


Take the full scholly. You gotta hustle coming from both schools - might as well not have to deal with the debt issue.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:33 pm

I would negotiate the stipulation out of the offer at SJU or tell them to forget it. Top 40% is too easy to lose - even for an extra special snowflake.

Master Tofu
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby Master Tofu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:32 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I would negotiate the stipulation out of the offer at SJU or tell them to forget it. Top 40% is too easy to lose - even for an extra special snowflake.



It's been a while since I've been through this process but are people successful negotiating out the stips? I didn't hear much of this during my cycle.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Master Tofu wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I would negotiate the stipulation out of the offer at SJU or tell them to forget it. Top 40% is too easy to lose - even for an extra special snowflake.



It's been a while since I've been through this process but are people successful negotiating out the stips? I didn't hear much of this during my cycle.



Oh I have no idea if this is possible or not. I'm just saying that it is the only way I would suggest to the op that SJU is a viable fall back option. Its entirely possible that they will tell him to go piss up a rope. I have no idea.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Try offering 70% or something on the stips instead of just good standing. At that point they have a better chance of getting the money back, while you know conclusively that you should drop out if you are in the bottom 30% at SJU, while getting median might encourage you to stick it out.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Brooklyn v. St. John's

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:51 am

If you can negotiate more favorable stips (or eliminate them completely) at SJU, then SJU. Both schools have similar placement, might as well minimize debt. Also SJU's class sizes are shrinking at a faster rate than BLS. Smaller class sizes generally lead to better placement (at least relatively)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 4 guests