Wake Forest for ~15k?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake Forest for ~15k?

Postby hello_thar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Basic stuff: 163/3.65-ish GPA. BS in Math, finishing my MS in Math in May.

I applied to several schools looking for full rides; didn't get any, but the best school I applied to was Wake Forest, and they offered me 30k a year scholarship. I'm a lifelong NC resident, and I have family close enough that my cost of living would be basically free, so I would probably borrow like 15k a year to cover everything else.

Few other things to consider. I'm fairly certain I could do much better on the LSAT - I had to balance studying for it with my graduate course load - but I don't know how much it would help. I'm not certain I want to be a lawyer - I like the idea of having my own practice, but I have no biglaw ambitions. I'd like to go to Duke or another T14 just for the intellectual growth, but I don't know how much of an advantage it would be over Wake in that respect, especially given that I'd in all likelihood be paying much more. Also, I'd have to wait a year which I'd prefer not to do.

Honestly, I don't really want to give up math - I love the subject more than law, and I'm definitely interested in a Ph.D although the job prospects in academia seem to be worse than those in law.

Re: Wake Forest for ~15k?

Postby tmoney » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:30 pm

If you aren't certain you want to be a lawyer, finding out in law school isn't the answer. If it isn't your passion, then it is also a bad idea. Law won't be any easier than academia especially if it isn't your first love.
Get your PhD and make people and the world smarter.

rad lulz

Re: Wake Forest for ~15k?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Not sure you want to be a lawyer?

3.65 in math?

Go work at a bank or something bro

Return to “Choosing a Law School”