William & Mary vs. next year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

William & Mary vs. next year

Postby koval » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:06 pm

I got into William and Mary and am wondering how their school stacks up in the D.C. and NYC market. I took the LSAT in December and got a 158 (-6 below PTs) with a 3.34 GPA. I'm already studying to retake in June (now PT'ing at high 160's low 170's). I'm wondering if I should stick with W & M and try to use the June LSAT to negotiate scholarship money, or (depending on where I score) apply to T14 or T20 schools. I'm looking to work in either the D.C. or NYC markets.

Should I stick with W & M (trying for scholly) or apply next year for higher ranked schools?

Re: William & Mary vs. next year

Postby hephaestus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 pm

This is an easy case for a retake, for several reasons:
1: You underperformed, and have substantial room for improvement.
2: W&M is not worth anywhere near sticker.
3: W&M will likely not get you to NYC. It will only get you to DC with incredibly good grades.
I think the fact that you are considering retaking may demonstrate that you already know its the right decision. Good luck retaking in June/October!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Great avatar. Best of luck on the retake and your cycle next year.

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 pm

If it's at sticker, I'd say not worth it. If you're set on DC or NYC, maybe retake the LSAT and get into GW or Gtown next year with some scholarship money. William and Mary is great if you want to work in VA , but I would say not the best for NYC or DC, and especially not at sticker. Also, I visited there and it was so sleepy. If you're a DC or NYC person, you'll be bored in Williamsburg.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”