American (most likely at sticker) or UNH ($25,000/year) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: American (most likely at sticker) or UNH ($25,000/year)

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Will do! I just hope being a splitter doesn't hurt my chances too bad (I only had a 3.36 and I'm a few years out of college, so "do better next semester" isn't really an option.)
I have a lower GPA than that and am already in at Vanderbilt, WUSTL, and Texas with $$. You will have many attractive options if you can break 168.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Will do! I just hope being a splitter doesn't hurt my chances too bad (I only had a 3.36 and I'm a few years out of college, so "do better next semester" isn't really an option.)
I have a lower GPA than you and have gotten into Northwestern, UT (with $$), and Vandy (with $$) so far this cycle. There are plenty of us on LSN (http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com) who have had good offers. We might not make it to HYS, but splitters are getting some money from the t14 and LOTS from the t20 this cycle and it should only get easier as applications continue to decline.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Nice! I'll see you guys after I get my scores in the "What are my chances?" section, then.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 am

Update! Currently PTing about 166 (up from 159 last October and 161 as an initial diagnostic a month ago). Got the e-mails from the schools telling me I missed my deadline. I'd long decided to retake, but I guess it's pretty official now. Anyway, I'm confident that I'll be well into the 170s by June. I can't thank you guys enough for stopping me from making an awful mistake.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:59 am

Method of Madness wrote:Update! Currently PTing about 166 (up from 159 last October and 161 as an initial diagnostic a month ago). Got the e-mails from the schools telling me I missed my deadline. I'd long decided to retake, but I guess it's pretty official now. Anyway, I'm confident that I'll be well into the 170s by June. I can't thank you guys enough for stopping me from making an awful mistake.
Let's tear the June LSAT a new one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 am

Method of Madness wrote:Update! Currently PTing about 166 (up from 159 last October and 161 as an initial diagnostic a month ago). Got the e-mails from the schools telling me I missed my deadline. I'd long decided to retake, but I guess it's pretty official now. Anyway, I'm confident that I'll be well into the 170s by June. I can't thank you guys enough for stopping me from making an awful mistake.
*sniffles*

Destroy the June LSAT bro and tell American to kiss your ass with your new numbers.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:59 am

We should start a meta-thread TLS success stories.. and also with a section for "ones that got away" for comic relief.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Lol so UNH sent me a letter today offering me a full ride. Too bad they can't also jump 100+ places in the rankings.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:36 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Lol so UNH sent me a letter today offering me a full ride. Too bad they can't also jump 100+ places in the rankings.
Rankings are overrated. Outside of the T14, they're meaningless. UNH's placement isn't dreadful compared to a lot of much higher ranked schools (see ANY CA schools that aren't Stanford, Cal, UCLA,USC).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Yeah? Good to know, I guess. Still don't really want to go there.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:29 pm

cahwc12 wrote:We should start a meta-thread TLS success stories.. and also with a section for "ones that got away" for comic relief.
I have this thread going on the Content Competitions page. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208084
It's sorta similar, but no-ones really added to it.

Also, OP, my GPA was lower than yours and my cycle had hits at T-14. Applying earlier has significant advantages so when you reapply, apply on Day 1!

Get some Manhattan LSAT or Powerscore Bibles and freaking crush the next test. BRING it on your personal statement, diversity statement, GPA addendum, you've got a real shot at T-14 and even $.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:34 pm

What was your LSAT if you don't mind me asking?

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Sent you a PM with the score and some study tips. You can also check my profile to see how my cycle went. Also, I applied a) very late or b) on the deadline for these schools. I didn't know the advantages of applying early. Seriously, apply early.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Yeah, if I don't need to retake in October I plan on applying the first possible day.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:00 pm

So I took another look at the recent letter from UNH today and found out that not only are they offering me a full ride, but it's a full ride with no stipulations other than good standing. I know it's still a Tier 3 school and I know I'm going to kick the June LSAT's ass, but can you guys remind me why UNH would be such a bad decision? It's kind of hard to say no when the dean calls you personally and remembers meeting you six months ago. I have until June 1 to decide, so I figure at most I say I'll go last minute, retake the LSAT and if I score 170+, withdraw and reapply this fall.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Method of Madness wrote:So I took another look at the recent letter from UNH today and found out that not only are they offering me a full ride, but it's a full ride with no stipulations other than good standing. I know it's still a Tier 3 school and I know I'm going to kick the June LSAT's ass, but can you guys remind me why UNH would be such a bad decision? It's kind of hard to say no when the dean calls you personally and remembers meeting you six months ago. I have until June 1 to decide, so I figure at most I say I'll go last minute, retake the LSAT and if I score 170+, withdraw and reapply this fall.
This is a decision which will profoundly impact the rest of your life. While it's very nice to feel wanted, you have to make your decision based on which school best helps you to achieve your career goals without soul-crushing debt. I'm not saying you absolutely must attend a t14 school to do this, but very few of UNH's graduates will be making >50k/year, and most will be working in New Hampshire. If you don't have lofty career goals and are fine with practicing there, UNH for free isn't the worst decision ever. However with an LSAT score in the high 160s or low 170s you could attend somewhere much better for a very low cost as well.

I know that you feel like you're wasting a year by not attending law school in the fall, and it isn't going to be fun, no question, but one year of moderate discomfort could vastly improve your career opportunities for the rest of your life. There's almost no chance that you won't be able to improve your LSAT score given how little you studied the first time, so you'll have better options than your current ones even if you perform below your expectations.

If you decide you'd rather attend a lower ranked school at a low cost than a top school at a high price, that's absolutely a reasonable decision. However, doing so without being absolutely certain that you've maxed out your potential on the LSAT is an objectively poor choice. The expected value of each additional LSAT point in scholarships and future earnings is unbelievable. You'll probably never get "paid" so much for such relatively little work for the rest of your life. Take advantage of this chance and don't limit yourself.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 pm

That's everything I could have asked for. Thanks. Retake it is

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”