Harvard vs NYU RTK Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
smallpotato

New

Harvard vs NYU RTK

Post by smallpotato » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 pm

I know this question has been asked a few times, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out what will be the best choice for me. I've interviewed at Harvard and I'm going to interview for the RTK in a few weeks at NYU, so it's still hypothetical but perhaps likely. I'm 100% committed to public interest law after graduation -- I have several years of work experience in doing what I want to do after school, but want to go to law school to advance and have more impact afterwards. I'm a little put off by Harvard snobbery and am attracted by NYU, but don't want to let my prejudices determine a decision that could potentially play a significant role in my career. From what I understand the decision hinges on the intangible quality that a HYS degree confers though the RTK would provide several practical advantages: no tuition to worry about, built-in community and network, and maybe a more laid back student body. Sounds like most people in this position, anecdotally, go the Harvard route. That's not my inclination but who knows, maybe I'm crazy. Any idea what makes sense?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: Harvard vs NYU RTK

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 pm

smallpotato wrote:I know this question has been asked a few times, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out what will be the best choice for me. I've interviewed at Harvard and I'm going to interview for the RTK in a few weeks at NYU, so it's still hypothetical but perhaps likely. I'm 100% committed to public interest law after graduation -- I have several years of work experience in doing what I want to do after school, but want to go to law school to advance and have more impact afterwards. I'm a little put off by Harvard snobbery and am attracted by NYU, but don't want to let my prejudices determine a decision that could potentially play a significant role in my career. From what I understand the decision hinges on the intangible quality that a HYS degree confers though the RTK would provide several practical advantages: no tuition to worry about, built-in community and network, and maybe a more laid back student body. Sounds like most people in this position, anecdotally, go the Harvard route. That's not my inclination but who knows, maybe I'm crazy. Any idea what makes sense?
A bit premature, no?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:14 pm

From what I understand the decision hinges on the intangible quality...
What about any possible need-based aid from H?

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
A bit premature, no?
+1. At this moment, you aren't "likely" to get both. It's just possible, so check back in a month when the picture is clearer.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 pm

cart ------- horse

cmon bro

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm

To be fair to OP, an RTK offer comes with a 3-4 day decision window, so it's a decision s/he should be thinking about ahead of time, even if s/he gets neither Harvard nor RTK.

Selfishly, I say if you get into Harvard go there, so you free up an RTK spot for those of us without your options. :)

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:47 pm

02889 wrote:To be fair to OP, an RTK offer comes with a 3-4 day decision window, so it's a decision s/he should be thinking about ahead of time, even if s/he gets neither Harvard nor RTK.

Selfishly, I say if you get into Harvard go there, so you free up an RTK spot for those of us without your options. :)
still moot until the harvard acceptance is actually in hand; until then, take the rtk if you get it.

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 pm

When did you get invited to interview for RTK? Mind copying us on that email? :)

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:26 pm

lsacqueen wrote:When did you get invited to interview for RTK? Mind copying us on that email? :)
+ 1.

You're the only report I've seen so far of an RTK invitation, so there's a lot of us anxious to hear when you received the invite!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Last edited by one_by_one on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdgarWinter

Bronze

Post by EdgarWinter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:34 am

The RTK is an exploding offer right? You get it and then have to decide in only ~3 days?

If that's true then it makes sense for OP to ask in advance. They'll need to time to think and internalize stuff before the hypothetical decision period.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:36 am

EdgarWinter wrote:The RTK is an exploding offer right? You get it and then have to decide in only ~3 days?

If that's true then it makes sense for OP to ask in advance. They'll need to time to think and internalize stuff before the hypothetical decision period.
Indeed

OP... I'd to HLS

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

donmincho

New

Post by donmincho » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:45 am

Lol OP 3.6 174 asking this question. Take NYU at sticker, y'aint gettin better.

smallpotato

New

Post by smallpotato » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for all of the advice/opinions. I didn't think I'd make it this far either with H or with the RTK, and the only reason I want to think about this without offers in hand is because of the very short turn-around, as has been noted. I don't want to be running around in those 3 days without a clue. But I'm not a crazy person, so I'd rather a choice or two be taken away so it's easier (and that'll probably happen). Also, from the start I was ecstatic to get into NYU, so if I had to go just with NYU with no RTK and with LRAP, I'll be more than happy.

For those who are wondering, I got the invite Monday or Tuesday late afternoon over the phone from a department administrator and told how to make arrangements to get to NYC and stay in a hotel. I'm pretty excited for the trip if nothing else!

Edit: I also wonder whether rejected RTK finalists get substantial merit aid?

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:20 pm

smallpotato wrote:For those who are wondering, I got the invite Monday or Tuesday late afternoon over the phone from a department administrator and told how to make arrangements to get to NYC and stay in a hotel. I'm pretty excited for the trip if nothing else!
Does NYU offer a stipend towards air and/or hotel for RTK interviewees? I know they don't offer a stipend for normal ASW attendees.

Best of luck to you - there are a lot of us who are incredibly jealous! : )

p.s. Is your interview sooner than April 6th? You said you were interviewing in a few weeks but my understanding was that all RTK interviews took place on April 6th.

smallpotato

New

Post by smallpotato » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Yes, they told me I could be reimbursed or they can arrange it all for you, and you can stay for the entire ASW. Yes, it's April 6th, so it's more like a month out -- though I wish it were sooner so I could just figure out where I'll be going. I'm in New England, so it's not a huge schlep. I am very committed to public interest, but I'm not a super achiever, so I'm surprised. Good luck to everyone! I wish you all the best and that we at least all get some nice merit aid to attend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks for the info, smallpotato! I wish there were some RTK recipients around to answer all these questions! I'm also definitely jealous that you are apparently the first and perhaps only TLSer to have an interview invitation in hand!

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:55 pm

02889 wrote:Thanks for the info, smallpotato! I wish there were some RTK recipients around to answer all these questions! I'm also definitely jealous that you are apparently the first and perhaps only TLSer to have an interview invitation in hand!
Seconded. Thanks, smallpotato! :) It's weird how you were (presumably) the sole TLSer to be notified so far...what does it meeeean?

donmincho

New

Post by donmincho » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 pm

I take back my snide remark. Small potato, I wish you become a very big potato and have to make this difficult decision. I'm hoping to be in a similar boat next year, definitely want PI. Still, I'd take HLS--want the much better clerkship opportunities. Best of luck!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:48 pm

donmincho wrote:I take back my snide remark. Small potato, I wish you become a very big potato and have to make this difficult decision. I'm hoping to be in a similar boat next year, definitely want PI. Still, I'd take HLS--want the much better clerkship opportunities. Best of luck!
A 6-7% increase in a clerkship is worth over $200,000 for you?

Really?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 pm

How anyone could pick H over NYU with a full ride is absolutely beyond me. Even Duke with a full ride > H.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:How anyone could pick H over NYU with a full ride is absolutely beyond me. Even Duke with a full ride > H.
H with a ton of need-based grant money. H with a tiny amount of debt >>> any T14 with fullride, imo.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:22 pm

I'd go with Harvard, but my family and I are poor as hell, so I'd probably get some good aid from them. Without that, T6 full-ride beats anything, except maybe Yale. And that is only if you have your mind set on the doors that Yale would open for you.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:07 pm

RTK is kind of strange. You're supposed to pay it back if you don't go into public interest. And if you do go into public interest, because of LRAP you probably wouldn't have to pay much, if anything, on your loans even without the RTK scholarship. So the economic benefit to RTK is mainly that you don't have to stay in LRAP-qualifying employment for ten years, don't have to worry about the impact a marriage might have on LRAP payments, and so on.

Not needing to arrange your life around LRAP requirements, or to worry about your loans, is certainly worth something—I'd actually argue it's worth quite a lot—but nonetheless the actual monetary value of the RTK scholarship is really nowhere near that of a no-strings-attached full-ride scholarship.

Bottom line, if you're dedicated to a career in public interest work, the single most likely scenario, whether you're at HLS or NYU, is that you won't have to pay back a lot of money. The only difference is in the details.

IMO the real reason to do RTK is the professional opportunities it presents. The Root folks are NYU's most high-profile scholars and the school has a real interest in making sure you get really good, impressive jobs. Lots of prominent people will go to bat for you. That, to me, probably outweighs whatever benefit HLS might have over NYU in a vacuum in terms of job placement. If I were trying to get a Skadden fellowship or something, I'd rather be a Root at NYU than an anonymous student at HLS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”