Here's a good one: ND Law vs BU Law vs WandL Law vs UNC law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
indriverseat

New

Here's a good one: ND Law vs BU Law vs WandL Law vs UNC law

Post by indriverseat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:16 am

I'm leaning towards Notre Dame law. In terms of where I work in the future, I'm thinking Boston or another big city (preferably Boston). I know that means I should do BU, but I am not 100% set on living in Boston, and I see no reason for why during/after ND I cannot get into the Boston market on good grades, etc.

Note: money (thankfully) not an issue. 15 K merit scholarship at W and L. That is it.

Thank you.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Re: Here's a good one: ND Law vs BU Law vs WandL Law vs UNC law

Post by empyreanrrv » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:22 am

Try to visit the schools and see where you like best. If you are really thinking of Boston, then UNC and W&L are probably out. Even if you aren't 100% set on Boston, BU has some maneuverability into NY and other areas in the Northeast. One thing I read a lot about Boston is how insular it is-- I wouldn't count on being able to get a job there from ND.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:24 am

If you prefer Boston, go to BU. None of the other schools will get you there b/c they're regional in nature.

Why is money not an issue? Do you have savings? Are your parents footing the bill? Regardless, I would caution against paying sticker at any of these schools. While money may not be an issue, you should still be using that money wisely.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:35 pm

If you prefer Boston, you can probably get into BC with your stats. It places better than any of the schools you listed in Boston biglaw.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Bronck wrote:If you prefer Boston, go to BU. None of the other schools will get you there b/c they're regional in nature.

Why is money not an issue? Do you have savings? Are your parents footing the bill? Regardless, I would caution against paying sticker at any of these schools. While money may not be an issue, you should still be using that money wisely.
this, this, this and this again. also negotiate w/ that w&L scholarship. its kinda fun actually ha just keep sending offers to each other and asking to be reconsidered for additional merit aid, and at the least the rentals will be grateful...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Unless you're a multimillionaire or some other circumstance exists where $200,000 is nothing, then money should be an issue. It would be foolish and selfish of you to squander your parents' or spouse's money, or money from some sort of trust, or however you are paying for it.

If money truly is no issue, then I'd vote BU.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:38 pm

indriverseat wrote:I'm leaning towards Notre Dame law. In terms of where I work in the future, I'm thinking Boston or another big city (preferably Boston). I know that means I should do BU, but I am not 100% set on living in Boston, and I see no reason for why during/after ND I cannot get into the Boston market on good grades, etc.

Note: money (thankfully) not an issue. 15 K merit scholarship at W and L. That is it.

Thank you.
If you're thinking Boston go BU. I don't see any reason not to even if that's just where you're thinking right now.

indriverseat

New

Post by indriverseat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:04 am

Thanks all. I think best bet is to negotiate with both ND and BU using W & L scholarship. Will try and visit both BU and ND.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 am

Also, your odds of landing Boston from ND are essentially zero if you aren't already from Boston. If you are from Boston and go to ND, your odds are just really bad.

Boston is an incredibly tough market to crack.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 am

Only two people on law review in my class (NDLS '13) were gunning for Boston and they both got it. They both went to undergrad in New England (BC and PC) and one was from there originally. If you have no preexisting ties and you want Boston, if you go any school other than Harvard, Yale, BC, or BU, you are probably going to be out of luck.

In any case, don't go to ND or BU at sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”