2014 Rankings Released Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
spleenworship

Gold

Re: 2014 Rankings Released

Post by spleenworship » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote: Careers is 20%. Yeah your spot on the new methodology explains most of the changes. Great changes. People should be talking about the shift more! Now 0Ls can look up employment data on the sacred rankings and see T1 schools dropping down in the 40s and 50s in employment percentage.

The biggest part of the ranking (40%) is still reputation scores. This is the least talked about portion of the rankings, and (unsurprisingly) the portion we know the least about.
We need to stop giving into the urge to prestige whore and cut the amount this ranking matters by 50-75%.

Employment and Bar Passage outcomes should be numbers 1 & 2. Fact is that employment does and will continue to reflect perceptions of prestige anyways.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:59 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:E-mail today from Illinois offering a fee waiver and the promise of scholarship money.
Somebody is hitting the panic button.
I doubt they will get as desperate as RU-C (basically offering people guaranteed admittance without even seeing LSAT scores -- they may not even have required a score or some bullshit).
Them and Richmond are battling for the top spot of "who can mail the most shit" right now.

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote: Careers is 20%. Yeah your spot on the new methodology explains most of the changes. Great changes. People should be talking about the shift more! Now 0Ls can look up employment data on the sacred rankings and see T1 schools dropping down in the 40s and 50s in employment percentage.

The biggest part of the ranking (40%) is still reputation scores. This is the least talked about portion of the rankings, and (unsurprisingly) the portion we know the least about.
We need to stop giving into the urge to prestige whore and cut the amount this ranking matters by 50-75%.

Employment and Bar Passage outcomes should be numbers 1 & 2. Fact is that employment does and will continue to reflect perceptions of prestige anyways.
Why do you care if people prestige whore or not? LOL at cutting the amount rankings matter!!

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:09 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:E-mail today from Illinois offering a fee waiver and the promise of scholarship money.
Somebody is hitting the panic button.
I doubt they will get as desperate as RU-C (basically offering people guaranteed admittance without even seeing LSAT scores -- they may not even have required a score or some bullshit).
Them and Richmond are battling for the top spot of "who can mail the most shit" right now.
Holy Geez, you're right! Not 10 minutes ago did I just go to the mailbox and find yet another flyer. They are hitting me like everyday! I honestly considered giving them a call to ask them to please stop.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:13 pm

law2015 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Why do you care if people prestige whore or not? LOL at cutting the amount rankings matter!!
Not sure you read the post correctly. I think he meant we should lesson the reputation scores and increase bar passage and employment scores. I agree with him.

Only 9% of lawyers and judges who get the survey even turn it in. Of the 9% who do, their answers are 1-5 with no half scores. So like, Harvard is 5... Uh. Is UT 4? Hmm.. No 4.5s allowed eh. Well fuck I'll just put 5 for UT!

It's mindless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:20 pm

spleenworship wrote: Employment and Bar Passage outcomes should be numbers 1 & 2. Fact is that employment does and will continue to reflect perceptions of prestige anyways.
exactly.

it makes no fucking sense. it begs the question: why do i care if you think my school is prestigious if you won't hire me?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Lasers wrote:
spleenworship wrote: Employment and Bar Passage outcomes should be numbers 1 & 2. Fact is that employment does and will continue to reflect perceptions of prestige anyways.
exactly.

it makes no fucking sense. it begs the question: why do i care if you think my school is prestigious if you won't hire me?
OCI flashbacks! The best employers from around the region come to give interviews that don't result in employment.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Lasers wrote:
exactly.

Bar Passage outcome is 100% irrelevant. At any school worth it you are on your own for bar passage.

Employment matters but the shitty way they count it on USNEWS is total bullshit. Schools are still giving misleading data.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:
Kronk wrote:This thread should be locked.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lasers wrote:
exactly.

Bar Passage outcome is 100% irrelevant. At any school worth it you are on your own for bar passage.

Employment matters but the shitty way they count it on USNEWS is total bullshit. Schools are still giving misleading data.
Dude admit that the new method of full time jobs lasting over a year that are JD required/preferred is way better than the old method of any job regardless of any factors.

Diamond

Re: 2014 Rankings Waiting Thread

Post by 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 pm

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Lasers wrote:
exactly.

Dude admit that the new method of full time jobs lasting over a year that are JD required/preferred is way better than the old method of any job regardless of any factors.
what if you have a JD/MBA who takes a consulting job that pays him more than a small law firm(assuming he couldn't get big law)? I know they usually list MBA students on "pursuing another degree" or something like that but what if someone gets his JD/MBA at the same time?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:48 pm

lord randolph mcduff wrote:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lasers wrote:
exactly.

At least under the old system everyone was bullshit. This way some schools are bullshiting and some aren't BSing as much.

First JD required is highly fudgable. SURE, my starbucks manager loves JDs!

Second, they are still counting school employed people. When some schools are employing 20% of the graduates, it makes the whole thing a ton of bullshit. Any school that has above 90% is totally bullshiting.

It also doesn't take into account quality of jerbs.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Second, they are still counting school employed people. When some schools are employing 20% of the graduates, it makes the whole thing a ton of bullshit. Any school that has above 90% is totally bullshiting.

At most schools zero school funded jobs were included. My school counted 1 person in that category as being employed full-time over a year. The other school in this state counted zero.

If they really want to guarantee a graduate a salary for 1 year, I'm ok with them counting it. Unless the salary is absurd. Do you know if GWs 80 were all over 1 year?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

At most schools zero school funded jobs were included. My school counted 1 person in that category as being employed full-time over a year. The other school in this state counted zero.

If they really want to guarantee a graduate a salary for 1 year, I'm ok with them counting it. Unless the salary is absurd. Do you know if GWs 80 were all over 1 year?
It shouldn't count period. They are paying these people basically 10 bucks an hour to be able to pretend they have a job. It's just a stipend. Not a job. I know UVA's were, because they'd never have 95% otherwise. I assume other schools are too.

School funded cannot be counted and have it be legitimate.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Well for NYU, they provided some level of transparancy of how those fellowships ended up.

Very bottom table in this link:
http://www.law.nyu.edu/careerservices/e ... /index.htm

And there were more than listed there, but those were the more prestigious "named" fellowships, which I assume probably did even better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:25 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:
slack_academic wrote:
chimp wrote:CALIFORNIA SUCKS

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:26 pm

chimp wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:
slack_academic wrote:
chimp wrote:CALIFORNIA SUCKS

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm

slack_academic wrote: this thread should be locked.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm

guano wrote:What a load of crap in this thread

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:39 pm

chimp wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Don't listen to that radlulz guy.
that guy is one of the few on TLS worth listening to. He knows his shit.

unlike sfhaze; (san francisco= over-expensive, overcrowded, too hilly, pure fog and no snow, dump of a beach, craphole!); doesn't even compare to NYC
I just took some ecstasy, ain't no tellin' what the side effects could be.
All these fine bishes=sex to me.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
chimp wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Don't listen to that radlulz guy.
that guy is one of the few on TLS worth listening to. He knows his shit.

unlike sfhaze; (san francisco= over-expensive, overcrowded, too hilly, pure fog and no snow, dump of a beach, craphole!); doesn't even compare to NYC
I just took some ecstasy, ain't no tellin' what the side effects could be.
All these fine bishes=sex to me.
Plus I got this bad bitch layin' next to me.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm

This thread was disappointing, haha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”