Hamilton/Rubenstein c/o 2016

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UtilityMonster

Hamilton/Rubenstein c/o 2016

Postby UtilityMonster » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 pm

This thread is for all people who are attempting to make a decision between a Hamilton and/or Rubenstein and HYS. This is obviously a wonderful decision to get to make, so I don't want anyone stumbling into this thread thinking I or anyone else is self pitying. Here are a bunch of highly informative threads discussing the topic of full ride at C and/or C versus HYS.

Hamilton/Rubenstein c/o 2015
Harvard v. Yale v. Hamilton v. Rubenstein
Another Harvard v. Yale v. Hamilton v. Rubenstein
Harvard v. Rubenstein
Rubenstein v. the world
Hamilton v. Stanford v. Harvard
Hamilton v. Harvard
Hamilton v. Harvard

My situation so far is that I have an acceptance to HLS and a Ruby. Some questions to start the discussion:

Is it at all possible to negotiate for a Butler/Hamilton with Columbia, or if you didn't get one with your acceptance is that pretty much it?
If paying sticker at HYS does not pose a financial burden (not my situation, I swear...), is there a good reason to take Hamilton/Rubenstein?
What do you foresee as the problems being with taking a Hamilton/Rubenstein and then ending up in the bottom 50% of your class?
What does a Hamilton/Rubenstein get you in terms of a resume item? Will employers see you as being on the same level as a HYS grad?
The Rubenstein email said there was "exclusive programming" for Ruby recipients. Any idea what this means?
Is it possible to negotiate any type of merit scholarship with HYS by leveraging either another admittance to HYS or a Ruby/Hamilton?

spicyyoda17

Re: Hamilton/Rubenstein c/o 2016

Postby spicyyoda17 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:45 pm

UM - thanks for setting this up. This is definitely a place for #100thworldproblems, but I honestly think it's useful for people to discuss. These threads from the past are pretty helpful as well.

I know that it is definitely a personal decision and that it depends on your finances, career goals, family situation (if applicable), etc. I do think, however, that it would be fun to set up a poll or something where people can choose their top two from among Ruby, Hamilton, HLS, SLS, and YLS. Up to you, but could be fun.

As for me, right now I'm looking at Ruby vs. SLS vs. HLS.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 pm

jesus christ

helix23

Postby helix23 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 pm

i wont disturb you guys anymore. just had to get that off my chest.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:14 pm

helix23 wrote:i wont disturb you guys anymore. just had to get that off my chest.

+1 accidentally clicked and will not make that mistake again. GL guys

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Hamilton Law School ftw

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:36 pm

I just sent in an email to CLS today requesting for a Hamilton-esque merit-based aid in a firmly worded letter, telling them of my HYS acceptances and Ruby. It was sent to the admitted student specific email address. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Right now, I'm personally 50/50 between Hamilton/Ruby versus YS.

nomoremilk

Postby nomoremilk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:30 pm

The thread of Gods.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm

helix23 wrote:jesus christ

titansfan

Postby titansfan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 pm

thanks for setting this up, and congrats on your cycle so far!
Last edited by titansfan on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roflmaozedong

Postby roflmaozedong » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:54 pm

checking in on this thread... so far my decision is hamilton vs hls. i have no idea what i'm going to do right now. visiting both ASWs during march, so hopefully that will give me some insight.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:05 pm

roflmaozedong wrote:checking in on this thread... so far my decision is hamilton vs hls. i have no idea what i'm going to do right now. visiting both ASWs during march, so hopefully that will give me some insight.

I think (almost) anyone who is a current law student at a T14 would tell you to take the Hamilton. You are not going to have options from hls that you wouldnt as a Hamilton scholar. Plus when you land that biglaw job you wont be almost (or more than) 200k in debt.

I couldnt imagine if all my SA pay this summer/next summer/1st year could go straight to the bank. That would be the dream right there.

jyrkchicken

Postby jyrkchicken » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:40 pm

roflmaozedong wrote:checking in on this thread... so far my decision is hamilton vs hls. i have no idea what i'm going to do right now. visiting both ASWs during march, so hopefully that will give me some insight.

+1

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Are any of you amazed by how little things can still bring your mood down? Right now I'm obsessing over the fact that my touchpad on my laptop is dysfunctional. Also, I was concerned this morning that my teeth were looking a little yellow. My buzz regarding acceptances to these wonderful schools is entirely gone. I delusively believed that I would enter a new state of well-being following the end of a successful law school application cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_adaptation

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 pm

good thread idea, but would not have chosen that title

kemmek

Postby kemmek » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 pm

UtilityMonster wrote: Is it at all possible to negotiate for a Butler/Hamilton with Columbia, or if you didn't get one with your acceptance is that pretty much it?

I applied last year, and after being offered a Rubenstein and HYS acceptances, I contacted Columbia to try to negotiate for a higher scholarship. They didn't change their initial offer of ~$50k. Still, it can't hurt to try!

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:04 am

UtilityMonster wrote:Are any of you amazed by how...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_adaptation

In college I fucked this freshman girl with perfect, gigantic, all natural, DD titties for a while. The first couple times, I was all like "wow, these are amazing titties." After a couple weeks though, I was like "eh, these are normal titties." Another few weeks later, I was like "this bitch needs to stop texting me while I'm trying to read Karl Popper's Conjectures and Refutations." After another few weeks, I went back to beating off.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:56 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

I think (almost) anyone who is a current law student at a T14 would tell you to take the Hamilton. You are not going to have options from hls that you wouldnt as a Hamilton scholar. Plus when you land that biglaw job you wont be almost (or more than) 200k in debt.

I couldnt imagine if all my SA pay this summer/next summer/1st year could go straight to the bank. That would be the dream right there.

If NYC BigLaw was the sure goal, I would say take the Hamilton. But a Hamilton scholar who finishes in the bottom third of the class at CLS is going to face the same limitations that any other CLS student in that position will. The very important difference in that case will not be that the Hamilton recipient can write "Hamilton scholar" on his or her résumé, but that he or she will have very little debt after graduation.

If you have a strong desire to pursue anything other than NYC BigLaw (e.g. prestigious govt/PI, academia), then I would go with HLS. HLS's LIPP is not as good as COAP at YLS, but it's still pretty damn good.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 am

Sorry to intrude, but are any of you Hamilton recipients URMs? I only saw 1 URM get the offer last cycle on LSN, which they turned down for YLS FWIW.

ETA: There were actually three, my mistake. I'm still interested to know if any of you are URMS though. And congratulations :) .

domino

Postby domino » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 am

jyrkchicken wrote:

+1

+2

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:My situation so far is that I have an acceptance to HLS and a Ruby. Some questions to start the discussion:

If paying sticker at HYS does not pose a financial burden (not my situation, I swear...), is there a good reason to take Hamilton/Rubenstein??

I have actually been curious about this exact situation as well, however since I'm not one of the lucky few to be deciding between a Ruby/Hamilton and HYS I figured there was no point posting it. But, if we say H would just be COL debt and Chi/Columbia none, are there other reasons besides money to take Hamilton/Rubenstein?

(Wishing this were my problem btw haha)

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 pm

career goals?

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Goals: Clerkship (not gunning for anything absolutely insane and won't cry if I don't do it), but Im really aiming for Federal Prosecutor and possibly academia later in life.

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:51 pm

My goals: federal clerkship --> biglaw (business litigation/finance/M&A) --> in-house counsel --> part-time professor (near the end of my career)

I've done 2 years of silicon-valley M&A work for F500, so I think SLS would be a cohesive fit, but I think Chicago's Law and Economics focus would also be great for a foundation in business law.

QOL is important to me as I will be taking a wife and a kid with me wherever I go, and a happy wife = happy home = happy (relatively) law student.

I'm having trouble weighing the importance of QOL vs. debt as they are inversely related to me in terms of picking a law school. SLS would definitely offer the best QOL, but Chicago would offer the most financial freedom. If I go the SLS/HLS route, I should be able to graduate with $80k-$120k worth of debt, and no more.

Thoughts?

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:16 pm

My goals are:

Best case go straight into academia tenure track (anyone know what is generally required for this?)
If I don't get the grades for academia, just go work at a firm (oh the drudgery!)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”