Indiana Tech Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Young Marino

Silver

Re: Indiana Tech Law School

Post by Young Marino » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:53 pm

JCougar wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Yeah. I was totally set on ND. Even signed my apartment papers and everything. I negotiated with ND and some CA school. ND gave me more $$$ after negotiations, I withdrew from other school, then other school threw me a full ride and then some. LST #s are similar enough (well, except for the big law + clerkship part). For my PI goals and desire to work instate (plus out of retakes), it was hard to pass up...

...I still sometimes wonder if I made the right decision.
For PI, less debt is almost always the right decision. There's some advantages to getting into a T6 or Berkely, in that you have a better chance at ACLU/SPLC (more selective than Biglaw). Other than that, demonstrated interest in PI law matters more than school prestige.
See, I find this interesting. I've heard people at other schools say "it doesn't matter how much I'm getting into, I'm doing PI=PSLF" I didn't make that decision but to those who did I'll feel really bad if PI doesn't work out.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Young Marino wrote:
JCougar wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Yeah. I was totally set on ND. Even signed my apartment papers and everything. I negotiated with ND and some CA school. ND gave me more $$$ after negotiations, I withdrew from other school, then other school threw me a full ride and then some. LST #s are similar enough (well, except for the big law + clerkship part). For my PI goals and desire to work instate (plus out of retakes), it was hard to pass up...

...I still sometimes wonder if I made the right decision.
For PI, less debt is almost always the right decision. There's some advantages to getting into a T6 or Berkely, in that you have a better chance at ACLU/SPLC (more selective than Biglaw). Other than that, demonstrated interest in PI law matters more than school prestige.
See, I find this interesting. I've heard people at other schools say "it doesn't matter how much I'm getting into, I'm doing PI=PSLF" I didn't make that decision but to those who did I'll feel really bad if PI doesn't work out.
Yeah, it doesn't matter IF you get PI and it works out. But I think it's rather insane to take the gamble if you aren't at a top school (I think HYSCCN have great LRAPs, so you'd still be somewhat safe there). If you don't and you end up at a small firm, unrelated law job that doesn't satisfy PSLF, or unemployed, then you're fucked. Better to err on the side of caution.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:14 pm

might be wrong about this
so please correct me if i'm off-base

are pslf-qualifying jobs in general hard to get?
or is it specifically the jd-required pslf jobs?

i thought of non-jd public service jobs as a possible escape route from the debt
(not that that's a good outcome or anything)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Brut wrote:might be wrong about this

i thought of non-jd public service jobs as a possible escape route from the debt
You can go become a middle school teacher or something and get PSLF.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 pm

With tight budgets at both fed and most state governments, the number of options are less than they have been. Also I have seen some area that have seen growth (e.g. InfoSec), a good deal of this growth has been directed to contractors vice gov employees. Which I suspect would prevent the people doing this work for the government from being eligible for pslf.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:39 pm

haus wrote:

With tight budgets at both fed and most state governments, the number of options are less than they have been. Also I have seen some area that have seen growth (e.g. InfoSec), a good deal of this growth has been directed to contractors vice gov employees. Which I suspect would prevent the people doing this work for the government from being eligible for pslf.
Yeah, getting government jobs, especially at the Fed level, but including even the municipal level, is incredibly difficult. Everyone's budget is fucked right now. And the Legal Services Corporation (fed-funded) has also had cuts made to this...and this money goes to a lot of legal aid clinics, etc.

I wouldn't bank on a PSLF job until after this sequester nonsense is over with. And if Republicans win the Senate this fall, it's only going to get worse for the next two years.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Not to show off or anything, but I just spotted pond cummings. I almost went over to ask for a signature.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:16 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Not to show off or anything, but I just spotted pond cummings. I almost went over to ask for a signature.
Hand r u in Fort Wayne

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:Not to show off or anything, but I just spotted pond cummings. I almost went over to ask for a signature.
Hand r u in Fort Wayne
cummings came to my town, I verified it, he was on a panel this morning with some fine scholars from institutions such as John Marshall and Drexel

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:45 pm

cummings is coming to my school. I'm so excited!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:46 pm

wow looks like cummings is spurting everywhere these days

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:38 am

Just to reiterate, I think getting a PSLF-eligible job right now is at least as hard as getting Biglaw--even though they value somewhat different credentials.

And no, you can't just teach high school if you have a JD. You are over-qualified, and people think you will bounce at the first law job you get. Because you probably will.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:22 am

Second class starting with just 30 students.

http://www.theindianalawyer.com/members ... icle/34969

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:42 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Second class starting with just 30 students.

Median LSAT of 148, I can't even...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:37 pm

buddyt wrote:

They beat Valpo! Someone send for champagne!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:57 pm

buddyt wrote:

It almost makes you forget that IU is reporting 20% of their students are "people of color"

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:17 pm

buddyt wrote:

Interesting. That's of course (sadly) higher than I thought.

I read that as a signal that the central university is willing to prop this law school up for a while, and that they're in this long-term. A class of 30 with a median of 148 shows they're trying to get this class to be able to actually pass the bar...rather than drop the median to 145 and perhaps get 50 students in there or something and mitigate the financial damage until the school eventually collapses. It probably took a lot of scholly money to get that median.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:22 am

JCougar wrote:
buddyt wrote:

I read that as a signal that the central university is willing to prop this law school up for a while, and that they're in this long-term. A class of 30 with a median of 148 shows they're trying to get this class to be able to actually pass the bar...rather than drop the median to 145 and perhaps get 50 students in there or something and mitigate the financial damage until the school eventually collapses. It probably took a lot of scholly money to get that median.
JC- Honestly not trying to be argumentative, just curious:

Is there something special about 148 vs 145? Are people with 148+ more likely to pass the bar? The two scores just seem so close to me, I would think it wouldn't make much of a difference.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

I love that they don't capitalize andre pond scummings' name in the article.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:58 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:55 pm

BigZuck wrote:
JCougar wrote:
buddyt wrote:

JC- Honestly not trying to be argumentative, just curious:

Is there something special about 148 vs 145? Are people with 148+ more likely to pass the bar? The two scores just seem so close to me, I would think it wouldn't make much of a difference.
Probably not much, but I was just trying to think of some reason why they'd go for a class size of 30 when their initial plans seems to budget for a class of 100. The 148 suggests they had room to admit more people but didn't. I had thought that right around 150 was where bar passage rates on average started declining quickly.

But from Regulus' chart, it's hard to tell if there's a large enough difference to matter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Actually, I do want to question Regulus' presentation of data...Valpo only admitted a class of 143 last fall, so they wouldn't have taken the bar yet. With the way medians have been moving around in the last 4 years, there might not be a sufficient relationship between their medians now and the medians of the class that provided their most recent bar passage rates.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:56 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:17 pm

Regulus wrote:
JCougar wrote:Actually, I do want to question Regulus' presentation of data...Valpo only admitted a class of 143 last fall, so they wouldn't have taken the bar yet. With the way medians have been moving around in the last 4 years, there might not be a sufficient relationship between their medians now and the medians of the class that provided their most recent bar passage rates.
The point is that some schools in the list have bar passage rates on par with Stanford (albeit in different states). Shittier schools spend a lot more of their resources teaching classes about how to pass the bar exam instead of theoretical T14 bullshit, so you can't really compare LSAT scores and bar results.
But LSAT is correlated with first-time bar passage rate. Can a TTTT school make up for that by turning 3L into a year-long bar prep class? Probably somewhat.

Hat Trick

New

Post by Hat Trick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:51 pm

"Students in this second class, he said, are coming from undergraduate institutions as diverse as Princeton University, University of Pennsylvania and Weber State University along with schools throughout Indiana including Ball State University, DePauw University and IU Bloomington."

Who the hell goes to Princeton for undergrad and then Indiana Tech for law school?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”