New Employment Statistics Released

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

New Employment Statistics Released

Postby michaelm55 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:38 pm

:lol:
Last edited by michaelm55 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15491
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm

GW grads employed by the school in full time, long term positions: 80

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby rad lulz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:44 pm

So basically, you are creating info that is already available in the same form on LST

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:49 pm

There are some problems with the ABA data - one is that they allow school-funded positions to be counted as JD-required, long-term, full-time jobs. 20% of George Washington's class of 2012 is reportedly "employed" in such a position.

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... ssets.html

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:GW grads employed by the school in full time, long term positions: 80



:lol:

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:00 pm

^
Reportedly 114 this year

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby sunynp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:08 pm

OP- these are not new numbers. We have discussed them here before. Do you mind editing the title of your post so people aren't confused and think that new data was released today.

Also, as others have mentioned, those numbers are too high and misleading. Look at law school transparency. It will save you and others reading this thread time and effort.

As for your questions, I know NALP allows schools to fill out data from people who don't respond. I don't remember what the ABA allows.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm

justonemoregame wrote:^
Reportedly 114 this year



:shock:

WTeffingF

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby michaelm55 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Let's take a look at some more numbers:

1. Yale = 87.8%

2. Stanford = 91.1%

3. Harvard = 90.1%

4. Columbia = 94.1%

5. Chicago = 88.2%

6. New York = 90.1%

7. Berkeley = 80%

8. Pennsylvania = 84.3%

9. Virginia = 94.7%

10. Michigan = 75.5%

11. Duke = 82.1%

12. Northwestern = 77%

13. Georgetown 62.6%

14. Cornell = 76.1%

15. UCLA 61.3%

16. Texas = 69.9%

17. Vanderbuilt = 73.7%

18. USC 64.7%

19. Minnesota = 59.4%

20. George Washington = 81.3%

21. University of Washington = 52.7%

22. Notre Dame = 62.1%

23. WUSL = 59.3%

24. Emory = 68.9%

25. Washington and Lee = 55.0%


And there are a few surprises further down the line: UNC is at 68.4% employment, Wisconsin is at 63%, Indiana at 63%, Iowa at 66%, and the list goes on. The markets in these areas may not be is large, but somehow they manage.

Just for laughs, some of the very worst schools put out under 10% employment (scary!), but I won't mention their poor sools by name.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Stop wasting everyone's fucking time -

go to lawschooltransparency

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby thelawyler » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:20 pm


Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Swimp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:27 pm

I lol'd at OP's second post. Everybody starts bitching about the numbers being old and misleading and what's wrong with OP and please change the thread title, and when he finally replies, he goes, "Let's take a look at some more numbers."

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:54 pm

thelawyler wrote:ITT: OP doesn't give a fuck LOL

Links:
Class of 2011: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... d3c&gid=11
Class of 2010: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... PTFE#gid=4


I think you switched the years. Also did anyone ever make a full chart ala 2009, 2010 (at least T1) for 2011? Or did they stop at T14?

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby JCougar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Let's take a look at some other stats, such as from OP's profile:

Good Softs: 2 years of full time work experience, senior thesis completed at Oxford University, plenty of volunteer work.
Bad Softs: White, Male, Christian, American, Middle Class.


Somebody's mad.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Ludo! » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:59 pm

This thread has promise

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:59 pm

JCougar wrote:Let's take a look at some other stats, such as from OP's profile:

Good Softs: 2 years of full time work experience, senior thesis completed at Oxford University, plenty of volunteer work.
Bad Softs: White, Male, Christian, American, Middle Class.


Somebody's mad.


lolololol

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby JCougar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm just going to assume that OP is Todd Aikin killing time as an internet troll from here on out.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Cobretti » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 pm

JCougar wrote:Let's take a look at some other stats, such as from OP's profile:

Good Softs: 2 years of full time work experience, senior thesis completed at Oxford University, plenty of volunteer work.
Bad Softs: White, Male, Christian, American, Middle Class.


Somebody's mad.


+1 op, that made my day

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Vanderbuilt sounds like the law school's weightlifting club.

User avatar
hume85
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby hume85 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Swimp wrote:I lol'd at OP's second post. Everybody starts bitching about the numbers being old and misleading and what's wrong with OP and please change the thread title, and when he finally replies, he goes, "Let's take a look at some more numbers."


This made me laugh as well.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby sunynp » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:44 am

Here is a new (to me at least ) statistic I found on NALP's site about school funded jobs.

It seems that 1700 grads are in that group and if they didn't have those jobs employment for 2011 would have been 4% worse. About 5% of the class ended up in these jobs.

It goes on to explain the stipend system at various schools.

http://www.nalp.org/sept12research_lsfunded

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 pm

sunynp wrote:Here is a new (to me at least ) statistic I found on NALP's site about school funded jobs.

It seems that 1700 grads are in that group and if they didn't have those jobs employment for 2011 would have been 4% worse. About 5% of the class ended up in these jobs.

It goes on to explain the stipend system at various schools.

http://www.nalp.org/sept12research_lsfunded



Here's the stat from the report that was news to me:

Stipends are more often paid on a monthly basis, and a wide range of stipend amounts for both full and part-time jobs were reported. Reported stipend amounts ranged from a low of $100 per month to a high of over $1,000 per month. The median was $225 per month for full-time jobs and $125 per month for part-time jobs.


This has to be a typo -- surely "month" is supposed to be "week." If you assume it's "week" the median stipend is the equivalent of an $11,500 per year salary.

tuckerp
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby tuckerp » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:01 am

As with any employment numbers there are certain nuances that need to be taken into account. For example, U of Florida gets screwed every year (and I imagine Gtown and NYU as well) because they send something like 10-15% of their graduating 3Ls into a tax LLM program. For most of these students it's not because they couldn't find employment but it's because they came to law school to be a tax lawyer. Most of these employment stats count LLM seekers as unemployed so it skews the stats.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby sunynp » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 am

tuckerp wrote:As with any employment numbers there are certain nuances that need to be taken into account. For example, U of Florida gets screwed every year (and I imagine Gtown and NYU as well) because they send something like 10-15% of their graduating 3Ls into a tax LLM program. For most of these students it's not because they couldn't find employment but it's because they came to law school to be a tax lawyer. Most of these employment stats count LLM seekers as unemployed so it skews the stats.


There is a specific line for grads in graduate school. It doesn't skew the statistics because they aren't employed as attorneys 9 months after graduation. Anyone looking at the numbers presented by the school can see the number who are going to grad school. It is impossible to assume the intention or circumstances of these students regarding employment.
Just looks at this chart:
http://www.law.ufl.edu/career/employers ... statistics

So there are 18 people in acedemic programs and 50 people looking or given up looking for jobs. None of them were employed.
Last edited by sunynp on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: New Employment Statistics Released

Postby sunynp » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:57 am

Paul Campos wrote:
sunynp wrote:Here is a new (to me at least ) statistic I found on NALP's site about school funded jobs.

It seems that 1700 grads are in that group and if they didn't have those jobs employment for 2011 would have been 4% worse. About 5% of the class ended up in these jobs.

It goes on to explain the stipend system at various schools.

http://www.nalp.org/sept12research_lsfunded



Here's the stat from the report that was news to me:

Stipends are more often paid on a monthly basis, and a wide range of stipend amounts for both full and part-time jobs were reported. Reported stipend amounts ranged from a low of $100 per month to a high of over $1,000 per month. The median was $225 per month for full-time jobs and $125 per month for part-time jobs.


This has to be a typo -- surely "month" is supposed to be "week." If you assume it's "week" the median stipend is the equivalent of an $11,500 per year salary.

I hope you are right about the typo. It would be hard to believe a school can count as employed someone they are slipping 1200 a year.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dabigchina, vm223 and 5 guests