ITT: THESE SCHOOLS NEED TO CLOSE!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
manofjustice

ITT: THESE SCHOOLS NEED TO CLOSE!

Postby manofjustice » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:16 pm

We need to band together. This is a serious thread. We are stakeholders in the profession and its future leaders. Let's look at the data https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agfr5qu6TB3AdHhoTEFrVThFa1hXWlh5Nkc1Q0ZnUnc#gid=0. Shall we take every school which a) increased enrollment this year while decreasing medians, or b) already has high enrollment with low medians, and shut them down? Exceptions for strong regionals? Discuss.

HeavenWood

Re: ITT: THESE SCHOOLS NEED TO CLOSE!

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:19 pm

manofjustice wrote:We need to band together. This is a serious thread. We are stakeholders in the profession and its future leaders. Let's look at the data https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agfr5qu6TB3AdHhoTEFrVThFa1hXWlh5Nkc1Q0ZnUnc#gid=0. Shall we take every school which a) increased enrollment this year while decreasing medians, or b) already has high enrollment with low medians, and shut them down? Exceptions for strong regionals? Discuss.

What a groundbreaking subject which has never before been discussed in the history of TLS.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:20 pm

manofjustice wrote:We need to band together. This is a serious thread. We are stakeholders in the profession and its future leaders. Let's look at the data https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agfr5qu6TB3AdHhoTEFrVThFa1hXWlh5Nkc1Q0ZnUnc#gid=0. Shall we take every school which a) increased enrollment this year while decreasing medians, or b) already has high enrollment with low medians, and shut them down? Exceptions for strong regionals? Discuss.

... Huh?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:24 pm

is this in the 'choosing a law school' forum because we will have the power to choose which ones we shut down?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:25 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:is this in the 'choosing a law school' forum because we will have the power to choose which ones we shut down?

We can if we believe.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:27 pm

The idea is to come up with a list. We all talk about schools needing to close. Don't you think if we specified which, in the "choosing a law school thread," our idle chatter would have impact? Think about this one a bit and pick up the ball.

edit: Don't you know how many prospective students read TLS, who are completely uninitiated to the law school problem? We can help.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:28 pm

manofjustice wrote:The idea is to come up with a list. We all talk about schools needing to close. Don't you think if we specified which, in the "choosing a law school thread," our idle chatter would have impact? Think about this one a bit and pick up the ball.

No schools need to close, per se. Accreditation just needs to be revoked.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Last year, the entering classes at the following law schools had LSAT medians of 154 or lower and GPA medians around 3.2 or lower. All of the schools enrolled at least 175 students. This is a good enough place to start - maybe some exceptions could be made for a few of the cheaper schools. The schools most likely to increase class size (while lowering standards) this year are probably among these (NESL, Barry already confirmed).

Akron
Albany
Barry
California Western
Capital University
Charleston
Charlotte
Duquesne
Florida A & M
Florida Coastal
Golden Gate
Hamline
John Marshall - ATL
John Marshall -CHI
Loyola -New Orleans
Mississippi College
New England School of Law
Nova Southeastern
Oklahoma City Univ.
Phoenix
Roger Williams Univ.
Southern
Texas Southern
Thomas Jefferson
Cooley
Touro College
Dayton
Detroit-Mercy
Western State
Whittier
Widener
New York Law School
Suffolk
St. Mary's
St. Louis
South Texas
Pace

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:31 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Last year, the entering classes at the following law schools had LSAT medians of 154 or lower and GPA medians around 3.2 or lower. All of the schools enrolled at least 175 students. This is a good enough place to start - maybe some exceptions could be made for a few of the cheaper schools. The schools most likely to increase class size (while lowering standards) this year are probably among these (NESL, Barry already confirmed).

Akron
Albany
Barry
California Western
Capital University
Charleston
Charlotte
Duquesne
Florida A & M
Florida Coastal
Golden Gate
Hamline
John Marshall - ATL
John Marshall -CHI
Loyola -New Orleans
Mississippi College
Nova Southeastern
Oklahoma City Univ.
Phoenix
Roger Williams Univ.
Southern
Texas Southern
Thomas Jefferson
Cooley
Touro College
Dayton
Detroit-Mercy
Western State
Whittier
Widener
New York Law School
Suffolk
St. Mary's
St. Louis
South Texas
Pace

Widener is the only law school in Delaware. I think every state should be allowed at least one, regardless of its quality. Whoops, I've been sucked into this fucktarded thread. Oh well. Just one of those days, I guess.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Last year, the entering classes at the following law schools had LSAT medians of 154 or lower and GPA medians around 3.2 or lower. All of the schools enrolled at least 175 students. This is a good enough place to start - maybe some exceptions could be made for a few of the cheaper schools. The schools most likely to increase class size (while lowering standards) this year are probably among these (NESL, Barry already confirmed).

Akron
Albany
Barry
California Western
Capital University
Charleston
Charlotte
Duquesne
Florida A & M
Florida Coastal
Golden Gate
Hamline
John Marshall - ATL
John Marshall -CHI
Loyola -New Orleans
Mississippi College
Nova Southeastern
Oklahoma City Univ.
Phoenix
Roger Williams Univ.
Southern
Texas Southern
Thomas Jefferson
Cooley
Touro College
Dayton
Detroit-Mercy
Western State
Whittier
Widener
New York Law School
Suffolk
St. Mary's
St. Louis
South Texas
Pace

Widener is the only law school in Delaware. I think every state should be allowed at least one, regardless of its quality. Whoops, I've been sucked into this fucktarded thread. Oh well. Just one of those days, I guess.

Good boy... Delaware appreciates it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:38 pm

manofjustice wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Akron
Albany
Barry
California Western
Capital University
Charleston
Charlotte
Duquesne
Florida A & M
Florida Coastal
Golden Gate
Hamline
John Marshall - ATL
John Marshall -CHI
Loyola -New Orleans
Mississippi College
Nova Southeastern
Oklahoma City Univ.
Phoenix
Roger Williams Univ.
Southern
Texas Southern
Thomas Jefferson
Cooley
Touro College
Dayton
Detroit-Mercy
Western State
Whittier
Widener
New York Law School
Suffolk
St. Mary's
St. Louis
South Texas
Pace

Good boy... Delaware appreciates it.

lolwut

Postby 20130312 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:38 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Widener is the only law school in Delaware. I think every state should be allowed at least one, regardless of its quality. Whoops, I've been sucked into this fucktarded thread. Oh well. Just one of those days, I guess.

Seems like you have the same rule as Spider Man.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Alternative idea: create a set cap on law school students per market, give the majority of seats to top and/or established schools, and let the newer arrivals/flagrant TTTs fight for the rest of them via a bidding war. If they're that insistent on keeping their cash cows alive, let them put their money where their mouths are.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:49 pm

1 per state (except the Dakotas - they can share).
Keep the strong regionals.
Cut the rest.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:28 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Alternative idea: create a set cap on law school students per market, give the majority of seats to top and/or established schools, and let the newer arrivals/flagrant TTTs fight for the rest of them via a bidding war. If they're that insistent on keeping their cash cows alive, let them put their money where their mouths are.

This. I like this. Now we need to get the dean of the New England School of Law off the fucking accreditation committee.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Anyone on this list that doesn't place at least 50% of their graduates in big law needs to close.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/the-short-list-grad-school/articles/2012/03/22/10-law-schools-that-lead-to-the-most-debt

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm

EvilClinton wrote:Anyone on this list that doesn't place at least 50% of their graduates in big law needs to close.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/the-short-list-grad-school/articles/2012/03/22/10-law-schools-that-lead-to-the-most-debt

one of these things is not like the others...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:40 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Widener is the only law school in Delaware. I think every state should be allowed at least one, regardless of its quality. Whoops, I've been sucked into this fucktarded thread. Oh well. Just one of those days, I guess.

Embarrassingly, it's just a satellite campus for a PA school.

But if we shut it down, no one would be doing DE bar prep.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 pm

EvilClinton wrote:Anyone on this list that doesn't place at least 50% of their graduates in big law needs to close.

Yea, we need to get rid of Yale. What a TTT.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Isn't there an issue here though, that if we shut down schools that are not elite enough, that we are limiting education? Wouldn't that make it so only a smaller, more elite group has access to this specific form of education i.e. law school?

It seems to me that the real problem is the outrageous cost of law school compared to other forms of education and certainly compared to higher education in many other parts of the world. If law school were free, the employment statistics wouldn't even matter. People could just hang their shingle after they graduate or start non-profits in their communities, or work in different fields. People would be able to gain the benefits of legal education without doing it.

I don't have any ideas as to how we could force the cost of law school down, but I think approaching the problem that way makes higher education more accessible, not less.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 pm

mrizza wrote:

one of these things is not like the others...
Yayyyyyy northwestern.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:19 pm

dr123 wrote:

Yea, we need to get rid of Yale. What a TTT.

Did you even click the link and read the list? I am guessing you didn't.

(Hint: Yale isn't on there.)

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:58 pm

There does not need to be a law school in every state.

buns

Postby buns » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 pm

Anyone ever been to Detroit-Mercy? I heard from an acquaintance it's a sad, decrepit place

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:51 am

This thread fucking sucks dick and fuck you OP.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”