GULC OR one year off and UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: GULC OR one year off and UVA

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 pm

adc7gu wrote:Understood. What are examples of jobs that are easy to get that look good to big law firms?

Definitely wait a year and go UVA. In the meantime, work as a paralegal at the type of firm you're interested in working at. Since you're paying sticker, that basically means biglaw. There are tons of NYC biglaw firms that hire college grads for a year, I did so myself. These jobs pay fairly well, you'll get awesome experience, learn a ton, and make some really valuable connections.

Even more importantly, you'll get a taste for the job itself and you can decide if it's something you really want to do. Way too many K-JDers don't realize what they're getting into and by the time they realize they hate biglaw, they're $250,000 too late and don't have a choice. I can't tell you how many associates I worked for that suffered this fate.

PM me if you're interested and I can give you more details.

Re: GULC OR one year off and UVA

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Or just take a year and do shit you actually want to do like travel, volunteer, have fun and get drunk. I know you don't think you are, but you're young and there is no rush to grow up. Once you get on the treadmill, there is no getting off for any meaningful amount of it up.

- A 23 year-old rising 2L who wishes that he had taken a year or two off.

Oh and UVA >>>>Georgetown.

Come on, brah, let's get serious.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”