ED to NW, Col or BU? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Brady199

Bronze

ED to NW, Col or BU?

Post by Brady199 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:13 am

Hey,

I am an international student, transcripts yet to be processed but in the top 5% of class in a 3 years bachelor's in pre-law

LSAT : 172

BU offers full tuition if admission through ED
Do i have a chance of getting aid from the T-14 if I ed?

bhan87

Silver

Re: ED to NW, Col or BU?

Post by bhan87 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:33 am

yashranade wrote:Hey,

I am an international student, transcripts yet to be processed but in the top 5% of class in a 3 years bachelor's in pre-law

None of the above. If your academic profile comes out as superior from LSAC (I'm guessing from your post your school doesn't have a 4.0 GPA scale like US universities), then you should be looking at CCN with your 172, not NW / BU / etc. In addition, you shouldn't ED because you have somewhat of a shot at HYS (not the best, but worth trying). If you're hellbent on ED'ing, ED to Columbia. But, you may be shooting yourself in the foot by denying yourself the chance to receive merit aid and negotiating with it.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:03 am

bhan87 wrote:

None of the above. If your academic profile comes out as superior from LSAC (I'm guessing from your post your school doesn't have a 4.0 GPA scale like US universities), then you should be looking at CCN with your 172, not NW / BU / etc. In addition, you shouldn't ED because you have somewhat of a shot at HYS (not the best, but worth trying). If you're hellbent on ED'ing, ED to Columbia. But, you may be shooting yourself in the foot by denying yourself the chance to receive merit aid and negotiating with it.

I think the idea behind the ED to NU (which is what I'm assuming NW is), is that it is a full tuition scholarship if you get in. It's not a bad option at all (don't ed to BU, though).

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 am

Depending on what your GPA ends up being, you have a good shot at NU ED full ride. I think it's out of the question to take Chicago or NYU over full ride at NU. CLS would be a tougher choice, but I don't think I'd loose too much sleep over closing that door.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:55 am

splitmuch wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

I think the idea behind the ED to NU (which is what I'm assuming NW is), is that it is a full tuition scholarship if you get in. It's not a bad option at all (don't ed to BU, though).
I understand now, but I think he'd have a shot at a full ride at NU regardless. Why close off the possibility of HYSCCN just for that? Also, I've seem plenty of people get $ with similar stats (granted mostly below half tuition, but if it's 1/3 tuition at CCN vs full tuition at NU, then it becomes debatable whether NU will be worth it).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:56 am

I'm no sure NU gives out full rides outside ED anymore.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:01 am

rayiner wrote:Depending on what your GPA ends up being, you have a good shot at NU ED full ride. I think it's out of the question to take Chicago or NYU over full ride at NU. CLS would be a tougher choice, but I don't think I'd lose too much sleep over closing that door.
+1, with two caveats.

1) I don't know how NU views int'l GPA wrt the ED full scholly and haven't heard of any int'l students receiving it last cycle.

2) It sounds like you don't have any WE. Out of the ED full scholly recipients I know, they all had at least 2 years of substantive WE. (One may have only had one year, can't remember.) If you don't have any post-UG WE, you're likely out of luck for NU.

That said, apply broadly and you should get significant scholarship offers from lower T14 schools. ED to NU or not at all.
Last edited by Samara on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 am

rayiner wrote:I'm no sure NU gives out full rides outside ED anymore.
The only ones I was aware of last cycle were the ones they give out to high-stat K-JDs with the deferral stipulation.

Brady199

Bronze

Post by Brady199 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 am

Hey, Thanks a lot guys..

Samara, I also have 2 years of work experience.. 1 year at a law firm, 1 year at a private counsel..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:08 pm

yashranade wrote:Hey, Thanks a lot guys..

Samara, I also have 2 years of work experience.. 1 year at a law firm, 1 year at a private counsel..
Nice, sounds like solid WE. Like I said, I'm not familiar with how int'l GPAs are treated, but I would strongly consider the NU ED. It's important to note that we don't know yet whether they will be doing it again. But if they do, you should be competitive for it. And I happen to think that NU is quite an excellent school to attend. :mrgreen:

What are your employment goals? (type and market)

Brady199

Bronze

Post by Brady199 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:04 pm

It's quite varied but I have narrowed it down to either litigation or international diplomacy depending on the school culture..
I have really enjoyed litigation here but am also associated with student-exchange programs being an exchange student to the US myself..

Yeah.. The transcripts will be processed in about ten days.. and then i guess I will have a better idea of where I stand.. Working on my PS and DS as of now..

Is Cornell better than NU? They have a lot of international law programs

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:06 am

With a 172, you shouldn't even really be thinking about BU. Stick to the T14 and maybe a safety school or two. Don't need to drop as low as BU.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 am

yashranade wrote:Is Cornell better than NU? They have a lot of international law programs
The funny thing about this statement, is it doesn't matter.

Cornell only if you're cool with working in NYC, because that's what it does best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Brady199

Bronze

Post by Brady199 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:15 am

lol.. ok :)

just that grads students from India don't usually do the JD from India.. I had 3 other people at my LSAT centre (only four of them in the country)

And don't know anyone in my state who has gone on to do that..

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 am

yashranade wrote:lol.. ok :)

just that grads students from India don't usually do the JD from India.. I had 3 other people at my LSAT centre (only four of them in the country)

And don't know anyone in my state who has gone on to do that..
Well, what is your conception of what "international law" actually is?

Brady199

Bronze

Post by Brady199 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Well, sorry for the ambiguity.. i meant to say international (law programs) where they have European or East Asian Legal studies and not (international law) programs which I guess all the top law schools have

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”