University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Moskav@BearCatz
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:54 pm

University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

Postby Moskav@BearCatz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:00 pm

This a good read for anyone considering UW Law.

http://opb.washington.edu/sites/default ... etMemo.pdf

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5832
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

Postby 2014 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Really interesting to read something like that from a school's perspective. I have a lot of respect for their ambition and it seems like they are doing things the right way.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:05 pm

2014 wrote:Really interesting to read something like that from a school's perspective. I have a lot of respect for their ambition and it seems like they are doing things the right way.


No, they're doing things exactly the wrong way. The entire memo is a scathing indictment of the legal educational system. It's basically all about how UW doesn't spend enough relative to the top schools, and contains the pithy observation that the way to fix that is by raising tuition ("the only question is how much and when") and increasing the class size.

Fuck everything about this.

disco_stu
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

Postby disco_stu » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:25 pm

My favorite part, on page 4 and 5: "As to career development, again UW Law is right in the mix with the top five. Here, it is important to look at both the overall rate, but perhaps more importantly, the percentage of graduates who are both unemployed and seeking employment.4 On that metric, our numbers are virtually identical to Berkeley, Texas and UCLA."

UW uses their overall employment rate, 89.5%, as evidence their "numbers are virtually identical to Berkeley, Texas, and UCLA."

Real employment numbers:
52% in full time, long term bar-required jobs
14.8% employed in law firms 100+ and federal clerkships

Yes, UW. Your numbers are "virtually identical to Berkeley."

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5832
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

Postby 2014 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:26 pm

At least they acknowledge that raising tuition amongst this economy sucks, other schools seem painfully ignorant of that. And the whole thing is a petition to their school for resources which seems like a more legitimate avenue than hiking tuition 15% on current students.

I do see your point in hindsight though and I'm an admitted sucker for voluntary transparency.

Eta: Stu that caught me as stupid too, they were referencing their UNemployment numbers at 2% being the same as the others though.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:28 pm

rayiner wrote:
2014 wrote:Really interesting to read something like that from a school's perspective. I have a lot of respect for their ambition and it seems like they are doing things the right way.


No, they're doing things exactly the wrong way. The entire memo is a scathing indictment of the legal educational system. It's basically all about how UW doesn't spend enough relative to the top schools, and contains the pithy observation that the way to fix that is by raising tuition ("the only question is how much and when") and increasing the class size.

Fuck everything about this.

I predict that spending more per student and hiring MOAR profs to teach Law and the Sanskrit Vedas 572 will bring employers to OCI in DROVES.

disco_stu
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

Postby disco_stu » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:33 pm

rad lulz wrote:I predict that spending more per student and hiring MOAR profs to teach Law and the Sanskrit Vedas 572 will bring employers to OCI in DROVES.


Hey, UW has a pretty distinguished Sanskrit faculty.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: University of Washington (UW) Annual Budget Discussion

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:03 pm

The stranglehold that US News has on law schools never ceases to amaze me.

On a side note, I don't understand why US News doesn't just openly release the expenditures per student data or endowment data.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest