Nova Southeastern v. Stetson??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sksusa

New

Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Post by sksusa » Thu May 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Hey so I am from the Tampa area and I have been accepted to both schools. I know Stetson is the better school but I am torn on which to choose because I am factoring in certain details.

Stetson:
It is a tier 3 law school.
The school itself was much more impressive than Nova. Better professors, more social events, etc.
I do not like the location and I don't want to get stuck practicing law in the Tampa area, although I do have a few readily available connections in the area.
The attrition rate is about 4%

Nova:
It is tier 4.
The law school is just one building and seems dominated by the latin community. I was not very impressed with the school itself nor our tour guide.
I absolutely love South Florida and I want to live and practice law in Miami.
I received an $18,000 scholarship from Nova but the attrition rate is about 23% which makes me nervous.

Overall, I have no idea which school to choose and any advice would help. Should I go for the better, more expensive school in a bad location or the cheaper tier 4 school in the location I plan on staying at?

northwood

Platinum

Re: Nova Southeastern v. Stetson???

Post by northwood » Thu May 17, 2012 3:11 pm

stetson i suppose

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu May 17, 2012 3:17 pm

At the top of your screen there is a link to search the forums. Search both those law schools, and read what people have to say about them. If you have any questions you need clearing up after reading some of the replies ask them in this topic you started.

Be forewarned, neither of those schools will be receive very positive reviews.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Retake or dont go. GPA/LSAT?

Stetson at sticker is not worth it. 35k a yr in tuition is not worth the 60% chance of finding full time legal work.

--LinkRemoved--

Nova is a joke. Less that 50% chance of full time legal employment

--LinkRemoved--

If you really want Miami, Score 160 and go to Miami, at least. Really though, Miami at sticker is not a good deal either...

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu May 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Retake or don't go unless someone else is paying 'dem bills at Stetson.

Also what's the stip on that Nova scholarship?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 17, 2012 4:00 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Retake or don't go unless someone else is paying 'dem bills at Stetson.
This. Bad job prospects.

sksusa

New

Post by sksusa » Thu May 17, 2012 4:07 pm

3.2/155

For Nova scholarship you have to maintain 2.8 GPA. If it drops between 2.7-2.6 they take away $5,000. Anything below 2.6 you lose the scholarship. I am currently wait listed at University of Miami. I have sent letters of continued interest and my transcript showing my grades the last two semesters of college (I just graduated). And yes family will be paying the bills for anywhere I choose to go.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:08 pm

sksusa wrote:3.2/155

For Nova scholarship you have to maintain 2.8 GPA. If it drops between 2.7-2.6 they take away $5,000. Anything below 2.6 you lose the scholarship. I am currently wait listed at University of Miami. I have sent letters of continued interest and my transcript showing my grades the last two semesters of college (I just graduated). And yes family will be paying the bills for anywhere I choose to go.
Then retake and ED UVA

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 17, 2012 4:10 pm

And yes family will be paying the bills for anywhere I choose to go.

Retake anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 17, 2012 4:18 pm

I'd still retake if you want a job.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:

+1. Unless you meant they will continue paying the bills for the rest of your life.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

+1. Unless you meant they will continue paying the bills for the rest of your life.
All of these

At least shoot for UF/FSU if you want Florida bro. Hit a 161+ and enjoy either one of those.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Stetson. I've been to both Nova and Stetson. Stetson has a solid reputation within the state of FL. Choose it over Nova. It won't keep you tied to Tampa.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Oh I take my +1 back. I didn't realize that BearsGrl has been to Stetson. Clearly that changes everything.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:36 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Stetson. I've been to both Nova and Stetson. Stetson has a solid reputation within the state of FL. Choose it over Nova. It won't keep you tied to Tampa.
Solid reputation does not mean employment. Florida's market is in shambles and you are competing against a ton of natives that go T14/Vandy/Emory

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Stetson. I've been to both Nova and Stetson. Stetson has a solid reputation within the state of FL. Choose it over Nova. It won't keep you tied to Tampa.
Solid reputation does not mean employment. Florida's market is in shambles and you are competing against a ton of natives that go T14/Vandy/Emory
But have you been there? You cannot comment on a school's employment prospects unless you have physically been there. The ABA data showing that less than 60% of Stetson graduates got full time legal jobs was before BearsGrl visited, so that's irrelevant.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu May 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Nova wrote:

And yes family will be paying the bills for anywhere I choose to go.

Retake anyway.
You have an incredible opportunity with parents that will pay tuition. Don't squander it on a TTT. Retake and at least go to UF or FSU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Oh I take my +1 back. I didn't realize that BearsGrl has been to Stetson. Clearly that changes everything.
I'll refer you to the FL AG who is a part of bringing down the health care mandate. I'd be surprised if the mandate stays. It's possible, but I'm leaning towards parts or all of the law being struck-down.

Stetson is one of those schools that people in FL tend to think of with respect. Both schools have different draws. One is attached to a campus setting, the other is a stand-alone building. Stetson's UG and law school are separate from one another. And in terms of overall FL schools I'd put it at #3. If the individual is local and won't have high relocation costs, it's "smart" to stay local as the school has a solid reputation.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 4:43 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Oh I take my +1 back. I didn't realize that BearsGrl has been to Stetson. Clearly that changes everything.
I'll refer you to the FL AG who is a part of bringing down the health care mandate. I'd be surprised if the mandate stays. It's possible, but I'm leaning towards parts or all of the law being struck-down.

Stetson is one of those schools that people in FL tend to think of with respect. Both schools have different draws. One is attached to a campus setting, the other is a stand-alone building. Stetson's UG and law school are separate from one another. And in terms of overall FL schools I'd put it at #3. If the individual is local and won't have high relocation costs, it's "smart" to stay local as the school has a solid reputation.
Oh yeah I forgot that the other way to judge a school besides visiting is to provide an anecdote of one successful graduate.

Question - are you friends with the AG on Facebook and how happy does she look in her vacation photos?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu May 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Bearsgrl is back. Wanted to be here for nude pics.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Florida's market isn't in the desperate shambles that gets talked about on TLS. Too much concern-trolling. And I'd say that overall, TLS isn't the community that would know a school such as Stetson.

General caution is always warranted, but not the current concern shown.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:46 pm

BearsGrl wrote:

Even TTTT schools have successfuly alumni, that graduated pre .com bubble pre great recession. Hell even the #1 in class is gonna land big law. But with Stetson if you aren't at the tip top of your class you are in a poor employment situation. Stetson is not the 3rd best school in FL; and regardless jobs will be going to it is T14/Vandy >>> Emory >> FL/FSU >> Miami >>>> doesn't matter

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:47 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Florida's market isn't in the desperate shambles that gets talked about on TLS. Too much concern-trolling. And I'd say that overall, TLS isn't the community that would know a school such as Stetson.

General caution is always warranted, but not the current concern shown.
How many SA's is GT and HK taking this and last summer, some nalp directory information/education would do you some good.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 pm

BearsGrl wrote:

Oh yeah I forgot that the other way to judge a school besides visiting is to provide an anecdote of one successful graduate.

Question - are you friends with the AG on Facebook and how happy does she look in her vacation photos?
Being the third best school in Florida does not equal a good choice. That's really debatable anyway. The data disagrees with you that Stetson could ever be a good choice at sticker.
Also, lol at a standalone building being a "draw" to choose a school. What is that even supposed to mean? Worth the 30k as long as there's no other building around.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu May 17, 2012 4:50 pm

BearsGrl wrote:

I think you said that you worked/interview in Chitown. Why in the world would you talk about non-Chitown markets? Have you physically been to the school? I have. I think TLS is concerned too much with people that want to get into NY, Chi and LA markets. Not everyone wants those markets. If OP is trying to transfer Stetson within Florida, then fine. If OP is trying to transfer Stetson to outside of Florida markets, then not as easy to transfer with the initial job. That doesn't change the fact that Stetson is a solid enough school that will set you up for opportunities.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”