Need help- ASAP! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What school should I pick?

William Mitchell
71%
Hofstra
21%
Syracuse
7%

Total votes: 14

emkay625

Gold

Re: Need help- ASAP!

Post by emkay625 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:50 am

If what you're saying is true, and your parents can just get you a job with a phone call/will invest tens of thousands for you to open your own firm, then just go to the school you like the most or is the cheapest.

ashjones

New

Post by ashjones » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:50 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:If you don't want to be judged don't ask us to do so. If you already have your mind made up then why are you asking for our advice?
What did you expect?
I doubt your parents would say "you must go now or we won't pay next year for less money" . That makes no sense.

What is the COA if you were to go now? Do you even care?
I don't have my mind made up. I've narrowed down my options to three schools that I am happy with and was asking for advice on which to pick. Advice and judgement are two different things.

COA for Hofstra and Syracuse would be in the $50,000 a year range.
WIlliam Mitchell would be under $20,000 a year
Last edited by ashjones on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:52 am

ashjones wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:If you don't want to be judged don't ask us to do so. If you already have your mind made up then why are you asking for our advice?
What did you expect?
I doubt your parents would say "you must go now or we won't pay next year for less money" . That makes no sense.

I don't have my mind made up. I've narrowed down my options to three schools that I am happy with and was asking for advice on which to pick. Advice and judgement are two different things.

COA for Hoffstra and Syracuse would be in the $50,000 a year range.
You have your answer.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:53 am

The great thing about this place is that because I don't know you, I can be blunt and possibly rude to give the best possible advice. And retake is the best possible advice. If you don't like the fresh honesty that people you meet in person are unwilling to tell you, then whatever. The whole parental issue of paying for school can be solved in 99% of the time by showing how much a boost in LSAT will 1) give much more $$$$$, 2) much better job prospects. But it isn't even worth a shot, right?

Seems you've already decided on which cake you wanted to eat, so go eat it. Just don't expect us to pat you on the back and tell you that it's the right move.

ashjones

New

Post by ashjones » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 am

thelawyler wrote:The great thing about this place is that because I don't know you, I can be blunt and possibly rude to give the best possible advice. And retake is the best possible advice. If you don't like the fresh honesty that people you meet in person are unwilling to tell you, then whatever. The whole parental issue of paying for school can be solved in 99% of the time by showing how much a boost in LSAT will 1) give much more $$$$$, 2) much better job prospects. But it isn't even worth a shot, right?

Seems you've already decided on which cake you wanted to eat, so go eat it.
I appreciate honesty and all, but there's a fine line between being honest and being rude. I don't have dreams of T14's or anything like that. My top school is UMN, and I still have a chance of getting in there this cycle. I just don't see huge benefits with retaking and reapplying. I've already mentioned I'll retake in June and see if it enhances my options. It's just not really an option to wait another year, and I don't see why I would...I am already pretty close to getting what I want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:59 am

ashjones wrote:
What did you expect?

Are there any reasons you have to justify leaving Minn and going OOS to Hoffstra or 'Cuse for nearly 100k more?

I can't think of any.

ashjones

New

Post by ashjones » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:13 am

Nova wrote:
ashjones wrote:
What did you expect?

Are there any reasons you have to justify leaving Minn and going OOS to Hoffstra or 'Cuse for nearly 100k more?

I can't think of any.
I suppose my only reasons don't justify it. I think moving to NY would be a nice change, and they are TT schools instead of WM's TTT. Are those good enough reasons?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:25 am

Don't ask for advice if you're gonna complain when you get it. You say "I don't want to go to a T14" as if it's some sort of foolproof argument for you, which it's not, at least if you care about job prospects.

I think Minn is pulling your leg in re transferring. What they told goes against years of transfer data. And from a just common sense standpoint, if it were that easy to transfer, more people would be doing it. But they don't. Because they can't. Do I believe Minn would lie to you? Well, they intentionally obfuscate employment data (like most law schools), so why not?

Go to Billy Mitchell. No one gives a crap about Hofstra or Syracuse in Minn. Ranking's don't matter. Plus you will have the benefit of being in the region to network with local practitioners and work during the school year. If you don't get a job, at least your parents have money to support you.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:27 am

TT with no local ties and TTT with ties are basically the same thing.

Interesting story. My folks had a family friend that was absolutely convinced that buying plummeting Enron stock was the greatest move ever. Fortunately for our family friend, while everyone else's shares dropped in value to zero, because the guy was so convinced of the fact that everyone else was wrong, his shares didn't drop; now he's rich and all his new friends are helicopter owners and supermodels.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:31 am

ashjones wrote: I suppose my only reasons don't justify it. I think moving to NY would be a nice change, and they are TT schools instead of WM's TTT. Are those good enough reasons?

WM is one of the better TTT. They are the second best school in the state, though still miles behind UMN. Hoffstra and 'Cuse are below NYU, Cornell, Fordham, Dozo, Brooklyn, St. Johns, SUNY on the NY food chain.

The difference between WM being #10* and Cuse and Hoff being in the 90s is negligable.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Oh cool it's another ask for advice, get the right advice, then get defensive and accuse people of being rude to you thread.

I say go to Hofstra because that seems to make the least amount of sense and you seem intent on doing the stupidest possible thing.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:07 pm

chill wrote:
Nova wrote:
ashjones wrote: I suppose my only reasons don't justify it. I think moving to NY would be a nice change, and they are TT schools instead of WM's TTT. Are those good enough reasons?

WM is one of the better TTT. They are the second best school in the state, though still miles behind UMN. Hoffstra and 'Cuse are below NYU, Cornell, Fordham, Dozo, Brooklyn, St. Johns, SUNY on the NY food chain.

The difference between WM being #10* and Cuse and Hoff being in the 90s is negligable.
Subtle anti-Columbia trolling.

ETA: OP, I just got offered a slot off the waitlist at UMN (and turned it down), so there is movement on the waitlist. That being said, retaking in June is definitely a good plan, and I'm glad to hear you're doing that.
:lol: :lol:

Good call. It was an accident. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:14 pm

On behalf of the Union of Amalgamated Law Teachers and Upholders of Democracy I'd like to personally thank the poster and his parents for everything people like them do for people like us.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Paul Campos wrote:On behalf of the Union of Amalgamated Law Teachers and Upholders of Democracy I'd like to personally thank the poster and his parents for everything people like them do for people like us.
R U teh real PC?! I have been wondering for days, and had to ask.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Nova wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:On behalf of the Union of Amalgamated Law Teachers and Upholders of Democracy I'd like to personally thank the poster and his parents for everything people like them do for people like us.
R U teh real PC?! I have been wondering for days, and had to ask.
It's him. It was confirmed by aschup when he first started posting here.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Couple of things:

(1) The point of things like my snarky comment in this thread is try to reach people who can be reached. The OP and his parents obviously can't be but many others reading may listen.

(2) The advice the regulars now give on this forum is actually very good. It gives me a certain degree of optimism that the word is really starting to get out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:57 pm

Paul Campos wrote:Couple of things:

(1) The point of things like my snarky comment in this thread is try to reach people who can be reached. The OP and his parents obviously can't be but many others reading may listen.

(2) The advice the regulars now give on this forum is actually very good. It gives me a certain degree of optimism that the word is really starting to get out.
There have always been a healthy amount of people in the know, with mainly 0L poasting terrible advice, but now that we have access to better stats that really show how miserable an idea law school is generally, it's really tough for TTT (and I use the term broadly) admits to maintain the cognitive dissonance that people giving "harsh" advice are just "bitter, cynical people spouting anecdotes."

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:Enjoy Billy Mitchell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mitc ... ts_player)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”