Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jazzman69
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby jazzman69 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Short and sweet. What do I do? I had my heart set on living in NYC, but I just learned of Penn's full ride offer and I only have 2 days to decide. I will call Columbia and NYU to re-negotiate, but I would have to take out loans to pay for any amount of uncovered tuition, and I am planning to enter non-lucrative legal areas (AKA public defense work, education policy, and the like - I'm not gonna be looking for a job at Skadden).

Thoughts? Is Penn truly a no-brainer?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:19 pm

jazzman69 wrote:Is Penn truly a no-brainer?


Yes.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Absolutely take Penn.

jazzman69
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby jazzman69 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the rapid reply!

Let me refine my question: What amount of money should I need to see from NYU or CLS before I would even consider turning down Penn's full ride?

Considering that I have no money, will not have high paying job, but prefer those two schools to Penn for a variety of reasons (not even prestige as much as location).

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:28 pm

jazzman69 wrote:Let me refine my question: What amount of money should I need to see from NYU or CLS before I would even consider turning down Penn's full ride?


Probably more than 100k. If the difference between the schools is 15k/year or less (including the difference in cost of living) you could start considering NYU/CLS. Personally I would take Penn unless the difference was 10k/year or less.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Veyron » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:10 pm

jazzman69 wrote:Thanks for the rapid reply!

Let me refine my question: What amount of money should I need to see from NYU or CLS before I would even consider turning down Penn's full ride?

Considering that I have no money, will not have high paying job, but prefer those two schools to Penn for a variety of reasons (not even prestige as much as location).


With the money you'll save you could take the Acela to class from Manhattan every day still have money left over. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Damn, law students are terrible at CBA.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:37 pm

bk1 wrote:
jazzman69 wrote:Is Penn truly a no-brainer?

Yes.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm

100% Penn

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby NinerFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Penn. No contest.

User avatar
Dato
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Dato » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 pm

.
Last edited by Dato on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b33eazy
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby b33eazy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 pm

I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 pm

b33eazy wrote:I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.

It's only shithole schools that require more than good academic standing to retain your scholarship.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm

b33eazy wrote:I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.

Law school is law school. I very much doubt that his experience will be very different between Penn, CLS, and NYU, and if "happiness" is worth $100k to you, you either need to be a millionaire or get over yourself. Penn has great employment statistics, will leave OP with very little debt, and probably has the same type of students that CLS/NYU have, and that should make OP happy. He has his whole life to live in NYC, and Penn can get him there without crushing debt.

He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Dany wrote:He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.

TCR. Considering Toll fellowships are not stat based, I doubt NYU is just going to offer him a matching RTK.

jazzman69
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby jazzman69 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys! It's not a Toll fellowship, although I don't feel like revealing too much more. Looks like Penn is the unanimously approved choice.

User avatar
roaringeagle
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby roaringeagle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Penn.


EDIT: If you really want public defender work you should check out the loan forgiveness at Columbia and NYU. I do not know if they are comprehensive or not. My instinct is Penn because then you can change your mind with little debt.
Last edited by roaringeagle on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby top30man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Nelson wrote:
Dany wrote:He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.

TCR. Considering Toll fellowships are not stat based, I doubt NYU is just going to offer him a matching RTK.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Dany wrote:
bk1 wrote:
jazzman69 wrote:Is Penn truly a no-brainer?

Yes.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

jazzman69 wrote:Thanks for the responses, guys! It's not a Toll fellowship, although I don't feel like revealing too much more. Looks like Penn is the unanimously approved choice.

Congrats on the awesome offer!

b33eazy
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby b33eazy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Dany wrote:
b33eazy wrote:I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.

Law school is law school. I very much doubt that his experience will be very different between Penn, CLS, and NYU, and if "happiness" is worth $100k to you, you either need to be a millionaire or get over yourself. Penn has great employment statistics, will leave OP with very little debt, and probably has the same type of students that CLS/NYU have, and that should make OP happy. He has his whole life to live in NYC, and Penn can get him there without crushing debt.

He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.


Law school is NOT law school. There are CLEAR differences. Some people are not just as happy in certain areas. For example, I have classmates who dropped out of undergrad/law school because of their surroundings. Also, if what your saying truly was the case, the poster would not have made this thread and would have taken Penn. He wants to take Columbia or NYU and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I do understand where you are coming from, but debt should not be the only thing that should be considered. I read on this board domes of times where posters pick Harvard over a full ride at NYU. Debt is just one factor.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 pm

b33eazy wrote:I read on this board domes of times where posters pick Harvard over a full ride at NYU. Debt is just one factor.

Taking Harvard over NYU full ride is justifiable (though I think questionable). Taking NYU over Penn full ride is insane.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 pm

b33eazy wrote:
Dany wrote:
b33eazy wrote:I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.

Law school is law school. I very much doubt that his experience will be very different between Penn, CLS, and NYU, and if "happiness" is worth $100k to you, you either need to be a millionaire or get over yourself. Penn has great employment statistics, will leave OP with very little debt, and probably has the same type of students that CLS/NYU have, and that should make OP happy. He has his whole life to live in NYC, and Penn can get him there without crushing debt.

He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.


Law school is NOT law school. There are CLEAR differences. Some people are not just as happy in certain areas. For example, I have classmates who dropped out of undergrad/law school because of their surroundings. Also, if what your saying truly was the case, the poster would not have made this thread and would have taken Penn. He wants to take Columbia or NYU and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I do understand where you are coming from, but debt should not be the only thing that should be considered. I read on this board domes of times where posters pick Harvard over a full ride at NYU. Debt is just one factor.

Get back to me when you've actually attended a law school.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 pm

b33eazy wrote:
Dany wrote:
b33eazy wrote:I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.

Law school is law school. I very much doubt that his experience will be very different between Penn, CLS, and NYU, and if "happiness" is worth $100k to you, you either need to be a millionaire or get over yourself. Penn has great employment statistics, will leave OP with very little debt, and probably has the same type of students that CLS/NYU have, and that should make OP happy. He has his whole life to live in NYC, and Penn can get him there without crushing debt.

He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.


Law school is NOT law school. There are CLEAR differences. Some people are not just as happy in certain areas. For example, I have classmates who dropped out of undergrad/law school because of their surroundings. Also, if what your saying truly was the case, the poster would not have made this thread and would have taken Penn. He wants to take Columbia or NYU and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I do understand where you are coming from, but debt should not be the only thing that should be considered. I read on this board domes of times where posters pick Harvard over a full ride at NYU. Debt is just one factor.


I'm old school, and completely unempathetic to the whole "find your happiness" thing. Sorry, but kids can suck it up and deal with their surroundings for 3 years when it means 6 figures less of debt. Not like we are talking NYC vs. cow country here. If some kid had such thin skin that they "just couldn't bear the soul-draining unhappiness" of Philly when compared to NYC, I'd smack that kid upside his delusional head. Its the same delusional mindset that is making so many college grads unemployed/underemployed nowadays. Sometimes you have to put your feet on the ground for a moment, and think practically.
Last edited by kaiser on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 pm

b33eazy wrote:
Dany wrote:
b33eazy wrote:I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.

Law school is law school. I very much doubt that his experience will be very different between Penn, CLS, and NYU, and if "happiness" is worth $100k to you, you either need to be a millionaire or get over yourself. Penn has great employment statistics, will leave OP with very little debt, and probably has the same type of students that CLS/NYU have, and that should make OP happy. He has his whole life to live in NYC, and Penn can get him there without crushing debt.

He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.


Law school is NOT law school. There are CLEAR differences. Some people are not just as happy in certain areas. For example, I have classmates who dropped out of undergrad/law school because of their surroundings. Also, if what your saying truly was the case, the poster would not have made this thread and would have taken Penn. He wants to take Columbia or NYU and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I do understand where you are coming from, but debt should not be the only thing that should be considered. I read on this board domes of times where posters pick Harvard over a full ride at NYU. Debt is just one factor.


But these schools are filled with virtually the same type of person. They are in similar environments (urban, east coast cities). They also have fairly similar job placement. CLS/NYU is a bit better, but its a matter of degree. There are some jobs Harvard really kills that NYU doesn't do well. (But I honestly think NYU $$$ >> Harvard at sticker, just because some people make bad choices doesn't mean it is valid). They even place similarly in the their target markets.

You say people drop out of school because of their surroundings, but that has no affect on this choice. Because OP doesn't know which school would be better. Especially since they are virtually identical.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Postby justicefishy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 pm

I'd say go to NYU and let me have some of that delicious scholarship money buuuuut....the right answer is going to Penn :D




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: muggleclutch and 8 guests