GULC (70% covered) or Ohio State (full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

GULC (70% need based aid covered)
95%
OSU (full ride + $2,500 stipend)
5%

Total votes: 63

holden147

GULC (70% covered) or Ohio State (full ride)

Postby holden147 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:33 pm

So basically I was all set to go to GULC once they decided to cover 70% of my tuition via need-based grants because my family is incredibly low income with no prospects of that changing anytime soon. However, Ohio State - the state I've lived in for the last 12 years - named me a Moritz Scholar for the upcoming year which includes full tuition for all 3 years and $2,500 living stipend per year (contingent on a 3.0 GPA). I'm interested in public interest/human rights (born and raised in Bosnia-Herzegovina during the Balkan War so it's something I have no doubt I want to do, however if for some reason I couldn't find a job in the field I would be open to big/mid law).

I was interested in GULC due to their international law program and because of their loan forgiveness program where essentially if I go into government or PI work and make under $75k/year, my loans are forgiven.

Where I want to live: Somewhere out west (Colorado, Washington, Oregon) or overseas (Holland due to the ICC, England, or Australia).

What does TLS think is the right choice for me?
Last edited by holden147 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Re: GULC (70% covered) or Ohio State (full ride)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:41 pm

GULC is better for both big law and the sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim shot at intl. human rights shit, and the price is right. But $5 says you end up in big/mid law because those firms basically only recruit through OCI at the beginning of 2L year, whereas those PI orgs recruit 3L and after (generally), and you have a high chance of not having a job at graduation.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:44 pm

GULC and not even close bruh

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:49 pm

holden147 wrote:(Colorado, Washington, Oregon)

Any ties to these places?

holden147

Postby holden147 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:18 pm

rad lulz wrote:

I actually do not have any ties other than a desire to live somewhere very nature-friendly. As I pointed out in my original post, I was born in Bosnia and grew up in Ohio over the last decade or so. The only family I have in the States is my parents who live in Northeast Ohio. Everyone else lives in different countries.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:21 pm

holden147 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I actually do not have any ties other than a desire to live somewhere very nature-friendly. As I pointed out in my original post, I was born in Bosnia and grew up in Ohio over the last decade or so. The only family I have in the States is my parents who live in Northeast Ohio. Everyone else lives in different countries.

It's generally gonna be fairly difficult to get a job in those places from GULC if that's your only reason for wanting to live there and you have no ties.

holden147

Postby holden147 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:27 pm

rad lulz wrote:
holden147 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

It's generally gonna be fairly difficult to get a job in those places from GULC if that's your only reason for wanting to live there and you have no ties.

I should also point out my parents will be retiring soon and want to move out west too. Specifically, the NW is a place I would love to live. My plan for GULC is to live in the DC area for a few years due to the plethora of government/PI employers there and perhaps moving out west 10-15 years down the road. I understand the economy is not doing very well right now so I am not expecting to be able to land my "dream city" right out of LS.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Bro. GULC. Not even close. That extra 60k you'll spend is well well well well worth the extra opportunities you'll get from GULC.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:22 am

GULC easily. Based on both your career and regional interests GULC is by far your best option.

holden147

Postby holden147 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:37 am

Well I think you guys made it pretty clear LOL. Thanks for the answers, I just wanted to make sure that I was making the right decision.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:42 am

If you wanted to remain in Ohio, then it would be a close choice, in my opinion. But your career aspirations & desired locations suggest otherwise. Enjoy Georgetown University Law Center.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 am

GULC obviously. Even if you wanted to return to Ohio, I would say GULC. Your interest in international law clinches it - you want to be in DC and at a top-ranked school for that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”