NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mesrine
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:40 pm

NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby Mesrine » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm currently a finalist for U Penn's Toll Public Interest Scholarship, which amounts to around $135,000 over three years. If offered the scholarship, would I be stupid to turn it down?

I'm pretty dead set on public interest, and had planned on relying on a combination of LRAP and federal IBR from the get go, so the money just doesn't seem that important. That said, I could imagine that having the named scholarship on my resume could open doors that being just another PI student at NYU might not.

Disregarding the scholarship, NYU easily wins out for me. NYU seems to have much better PI resources than U Penn, a more PI focused student culture, and is in a better location for the type of work I'd like to do. Additionally, I think I'd likely be happier in NYC than Philadelphia.

So my question is, how much do these named scholarships count for when it comes to legal hiring/career prospects? Is taking the scholarship the obvious choice?

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby iamrobk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Mesrine wrote:I'm currently a finalist for U Penn's Toll Public Interest Scholarship, which amounts to around $135,000 over three years. If offered the scholarship, would I be stupid to turn it down?

Yes. Very.

(Assuming NYU is at sticker).

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby 2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:10 pm

NYU is not worth 135k + COL difference over UPenn imo.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:11 pm

I hate to be an asshole but

...really?

Mesrine
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby Mesrine » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:15 pm

2014 wrote:NYU is not worth 135k + COL difference over UPenn imo.


I agree. But with the combined benefits of LRAP and IBR, both options would essentially be free assuming I end up working for a non-profit, which is my goal to begin with. Additionally, I would be receiving some aid from NYU (the exact amount has yet to be determined). I'm mostly curious about the benefits of the named scholarship for my career prospects vs. NYU's strong institutional support for PI focused students.

bubba
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby bubba » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Mesrine wrote:
2014 wrote:NYU is not worth 135k + COL difference over UPenn imo.


I agree. But with the combined benefits of LRAP and IBR, both options would essentially be free assuming I end up working for a non-profit, which is my goal to begin with. Additionally, I would be receiving some aid from NYU (the exact amount has yet to be determined). I'm mostly curious about the benefits of the named scholarship for my career prospects vs. NYU's strong institutional support for PI focused students.


This is really short-sighted. Even assuming you do Public Interest, there are lots of strings attached to the LRAP and IBR programs. For instance, for both IBR and LRAP, your contribution is counted against family income, so if you get married and have a high-income spouse, you end up paying more. Also, I know the NYU LRAP has net worth limitations. If you take the cash at Penn, you will be able to save a fair amount even if you work in PI at a middle class salary.

And at some point, whether in law school or after few years of PI work, you may find that you want to try out private practice. Taking the money at Penn would give you that flexibility.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Mesrine wrote:
2014 wrote:NYU is not worth 135k + COL difference over UPenn imo.


I agree. But with the combined benefits of LRAP and IBR, both options would essentially be free assuming I end up working for a non-profit, which is my goal to begin with. Additionally, I would be receiving some aid from NYU (the exact amount has yet to be determined). I'm mostly curious about the benefits of the named scholarship for my career prospects vs. NYU's strong institutional support for PI focused students.

I'm not sure I buy that NYU has a huge institutional support advantage over Penn. The majority of students at both schools go to firms and you'll have no trouble getting individualized career support at either. Take the guaranteed money at Penn and enjoy the peace of mind of not having to rely on IBR.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:25 pm


Mesrine
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby Mesrine » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:37 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Relevant thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182473


Well, I think I fall under the "has a concrete goals and displays true, dedicated intentions to do [PI], usually by past actions" category. Don't think I'd be in the running for this scholarship to begin with if I hadn't demonstrated my commitment to the field.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Mesrine wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Relevant thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182473


Well, I think I fall under the "has a concrete goals and displays true, dedicated intentions to do [PI], usually by past actions" category. Don't think I'd be in the running for this scholarship to begin with if I hadn't demonstrated my commitment to the field.


Great. I think that if you may equivocate at all, Penn would be better. NYU will have ultimately better (read: not dehumanizing) PI work where you may actually be trained and be successful. There are far fewer of these positions than big law jobs.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Take the money.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:24 pm

If you're dumb enough that you even need to think about this, you should let the money go to someone who will more fully appreciate it.
Seriously, are you that stupid?

JasonR
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:09 am

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby JasonR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:09 pm

The money isn't necessarily a game-changer for someone who is legitimately 100% committed to PI (see LRAP). It's a valid question. If OP wanted BigLaw, then the only good choice would very obviously be Penn.

Mesrine, as to your particular question, which no one has answered, named scholarships don't really mean much in hiring except possibly as a way to distinguish yourself a bit from other people at the same law school, and even then any effect is minimal.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:19 pm

JasonR wrote:The money isn't necessarily a game-changer for someone who is legitimately 100% committed to PI (see LRAP). It's a valid question. If OP wanted BigLaw, then the only good choice would very obviously be Penn.

Mesrine, as to your particular question, which no one has answered, named scholarships don't really mean much in hiring except possibly as a way to distinguish yourself a bit from other people at the same law school, and even then any effect is minimal.

It certainly should be. It's not like we're talking the difference between the best PI LRAP in the world and no LRAP at all. Penn has actually seen a surge in PI-interested students as of late, and our PI resources, while certainly not quite as comprehensive as NYU's, are objectively strong nonetheless. All of my PI-oriented friends have good jobs lined up this summer.

For fuck's sake, take the money. Our LRAP will cover the rest, but if, for whatever reason you change your mind or somehow end up screwed, $75k in debt is a lot less frightening than $225k.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: NYU v. U Penn (with named scholly) for public interest?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:20 pm

If you are awarded the Penn scholarship, it would be foolish to turn it down for NYU at sticker. The scholarship will have little or no impact on career prospects unless specific paid internships are included as part of the scholarship award.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: laowhynot109, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest