Northwestern ($$$$) vs. UChicago - UPDATE

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Northwestern ($120k)
UChicago (sticker)
Total votes: 43

Re: Northwestern ($$$$) vs. UChicago - UPDATE

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 am

As someone who finally decided to pay a little extra to go to Chicago over Northwestern, I say take the money all the way. I didn't have that large of a cost difference, but if I did I'd be at NU in a second.

Also are you sure you're paying sticker at Chicago or have you just not gotten an award yet? $60k becomes the area where I think Chicago could be justified, so if that happens, it's just whichever you liked more.

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:44 am

I'd hold out/ renegotiate with Chicago.

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Pester U Chi for money. Apps are down this cycle and they may be willing to negotiate. Otherwise, you have to evaluate the kind of atmosphere you want and how much of a price you put on risk. Chicago is much more intense than NU, and the social life is more focused inward because everyone is stuck in Hyde Park. On the flip side it's also a lot more intellectual, and the younger more academic types tend to be more curious than the older types at NU.

As for placement, Chicago had a measurable edge. They say their 2L SA placement for summer 2012 was 69%, and I know we were at 60%. Chicago typically places similarly to Columbia and Penn, which outperformed NU by a 10% margin for C/O 2011: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181415

At the same time, $120k is a lot of money. That's $1400/mo for 10 years. I tend to valuate the difference between getting big law and not getting it very high, so I might take U Chicago under the circumstances, based purely on the numbers, but most people are more debt-averse than me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”