UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

UF 8k
12
52%
FSU 16k
11
48%
 
Total votes: 23

yuck
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:05 am

UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby yuck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:21 am

Stips are not too tough for either, I think at or below median. Could the weaker competition at FSU (assumption) putting me in a higher ranking in the class be worth sacrificing lay-prestige/alumni/generally better employment prospects of UF?

I'd take out minimal loans for UF, maybe none for FSU.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby kwais » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:50 am

A. the one or two ranking spots difference clearly = weaker competition. Go to FSU, be top 5% and transfer to Harvard, or go to UF, where everyone is a genius and lose your scholarship. The choice is yours.

B. The schools are identical, so pick whether you like Gville or Tally.

yuck
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:05 am

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby yuck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:03 am

You don't think UF in general has higher admissions standards? It seems like FSU is most people's second choice in Fl, and they offered me more money, so that's why I wonder if UF is more competitive to do great at. If recruiters weigh the top 10% of each school's class the same, and FSU was a little easier, than maybe it would be wise to go there. Not trying to debate you, just looking for some more insight

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby kwais » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:33 am

hey, sorry for the snarky response. just a reflex. I don't think you are entirely incorrect about the UF boost, but I don't think it comes from a perception of difficulty or abilities. It comes more from the stronger alumni base. From what I gather, top 10% at either school has VERY similar prospects and the differences are probably smaller than the factors you bring to the table such as interview skills and work experience. Therefore, if you go to Tally and love it, just go there. However, if you love Gville and want the comfort of the small perceived boost, then I think it might be worth the extra cash. I think many will tell you that the $ difference seals the deal for FSU, but as a Gator alum who visited Tally, I can tell you that I would pay 24k not to live there.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:50 am

If you only need to take out "minimal loans" to go to UF, then go there.

yuck
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:05 am

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby yuck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:01 am

Just been hearing about how much more laid back fsu is. Would gunning hard at fsu give me a better chance at top 10% than UF? U ask because I hear employment prospects for firms is basically the same.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:03 am

yuck wrote:Just been hearing about how much more laid back fsu is. Would gunning hard at fsu give me a better chance at top 10% than UF? U ask because I hear employment prospects for firms is basically the same.


Seriously don't understand what is with this question and this year's applicant pool.

yuck
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:05 am

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby yuck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
yuck wrote:Just been hearing about how much more laid back fsu is. Would gunning hard at fsu give me a better chance at top 10% than UF? U ask because I hear employment prospects for firms is basically the same.


Seriously don't understand what is with this question and this year's applicant pool.


Lol I've been seeing it too, haven't seen an answer that satisfies me yet

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:18 am

Because it's an impossible question to answer since no one goes to both schools. It's either based on UF's reputation as a far superior undergrad school or the blind leading the blind on TLS.

Don't factor it in at all. At equal costs, UF provides more opportunity throughout the entire state of Florida. If you hate Gainesville though, that can justify choosing FSU. As for the OP's offers, FSU is probably the better choice, but there would be nothing wrong with choosing UF and its incredible alumni base.

tuckerp
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby tuckerp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:54 am

I've attended both UF and FSU law, graduated from UF but spent 2L year doing a clerkship in Tallahassee, so took 30 credits at FSU law as a visiting student... it's way better to be at the top of UF law's class, there are quite a few more firms that come there and the alumni base is just much better. If you're in the bottom half of the class it's probably better to be at FSU because there are more govt jobs and intern spots available that you can turn into a job at graduation. While the top of the FSU class is busy with journals and moot court many of the lower ranked folks can nab internships during 2L and 3L year. UF is much more competitive but if you want to go for a firm job UF has an advantage... I noticed that many FSU students didn't care as much about class as they cared about their internships... at UF, everyone has one concern, class. It is tough for a lot of folks in the bottom half of UF's class because they have no experience at graduation but everyone I know was employed within a month of bar results coming in... it was just stressful for people who went from May graduation until October studying for the bar without having a job lined up.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby kwais » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 am

tuckerp wrote:I've attended both UF and FSU law, graduated from UF but spent 2L year doing a clerkship in Tallahassee, so took 30 credits at FSU law as a visiting student... it's way better to be at the top of UF law's class, there are quite a few more firms that come there and the alumni base is just much better. If you're in the bottom half of the class it's probably better to be at FSU because there are more govt jobs and intern spots available that you can turn into a job at graduation. While the top of the FSU class is busy with journals and moot court many of the lower ranked folks can nab internships during 2L and 3L year. UF is much more competitive but if you want to go for a firm job UF has an advantage... I noticed that many FSU students didn't care as much about class as they cared about their internships... at UF, everyone has one concern, class. It is tough for a lot of folks in the bottom half of UF's class because they have no experience at graduation but everyone I know was employed within a month of bar results coming in... it was just stressful for people who went from May graduation until October studying for the bar without having a job lined up.


If only we had someone as qualified to distinguish other peer school. Excellent post.

MissMock
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:35 am

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby MissMock » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:45 am

tuckerp wrote:I've attended both UF and FSU law, graduated from UF but spent 2L year doing a clerkship in Tallahassee, so took 30 credits at FSU law as a visiting student... it's way better to be at the top of UF law's class, there are quite a few more firms that come there and the alumni base is just much better. If you're in the bottom half of the class it's probably better to be at FSU because there are more govt jobs and intern spots available that you can turn into a job at graduation. While the top of the FSU class is busy with journals and moot court many of the lower ranked folks can nab internships during 2L and 3L year. UF is much more competitive but if you want to go for a firm job UF has an advantage... I noticed that many FSU students didn't care as much about class as they cared about their internships... at UF, everyone has one concern, class. It is tough for a lot of folks in the bottom half of UF's class because they have no experience at graduation but everyone I know was employed within a month of bar results coming in... it was just stressful for people who went from May graduation until October studying for the bar without having a job lined up.


Thank you SO much for posting! So many of us have been in the same situation as OP and it's good to hear the perspective of somebody who has actually experienced both schools.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:55 am

tuckerp wrote:I've attended both UF and FSU law, graduated from UF but spent 2L year doing a clerkship in Tallahassee, so took 30 credits at FSU law as a visiting student... it's way better to be at the top of UF law's class, there are quite a few more firms that come there and the alumni base is just much better. If you're in the bottom half of the class it's probably better to be at FSU because there are more govt jobs and intern spots available that you can turn into a job at graduation. While the top of the FSU class is busy with journals and moot court many of the lower ranked folks can nab internships during 2L and 3L year. UF is much more competitive but if you want to go for a firm job UF has an advantage... I noticed that many FSU students didn't care as much about class as they cared about their internships... at UF, everyone has one concern, class. It is tough for a lot of folks in the bottom half of UF's class because they have no experience at graduation but everyone I know was employed within a month of bar results coming in... it was just stressful for people who went from May graduation until October studying for the bar without having a job lined up.


I wish TLS had a "like" button.

tuckerp
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: UF 8k or FSU 16k (each year)

Postby tuckerp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Not a problem... I'm glad I was able to help. I don't go on here much but I'll try to check back soon so you can PM me if you have any specific questions about either school.

Good luck everyone... keep those loans low! I'm 2-3 years out with a job that I like and I'm thrilled that I turned down all the $40k/year "higher ranked" schools.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mjb447 and 6 guests