Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Pitt (Full Ride)
10
22%
Cornell (75k)
35
78%
 
Total votes: 45

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I know this might seem weird but these are the two decisions I'm faced with. I got 25k per year at Cornell and a full ride at pitt. I am from pittsburgh have numerous ties there including my undergrad which is notorious for producing Pittsburgh lawyers. I know I have already created a thread about this before but that was before scholly info. Everyone is telling me Pitt my parents, current lawyers, and pre law advisor. I would have zero debt because my parents would let me live at home. Cornell would probably end up being about 150k total after CoL.

Would I be crazy to turn down this offer to go to the safer option. I have a slight preference for Pittsburgh but wouldn't mind NYC big law. Also if and when I probably miss the big law boat at Pitt is there any way to build a career from the bottom up through PD or the local prosecution office? or would I be stuck doing doc review in a kind of dead end situation. I am pretty risk adversed and don't mind not making a lot of money being a lawyer. Sorry for creating the thread twice.

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Stipulations on the Pitt scholarship?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I think this is easily Cornell but more risk averse folks may disagree. Cornell just gives you more options.

checkster
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby checkster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I think this is a debate if its little $ from Cornell, but with 25k a year I wouldn't be able to turn it down for Pitt.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:21 pm

3.0 like median stips at Pitt if i can't keep that I would just drop out and try something else because lets be serious I probably shouldn't be a lawyers if I can't get above median there, and I wouldn't have any losses except time.

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Hmmm both are good options IMO. I'd probably take Cornell.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 pm

bdole2 wrote:Hmmm both are good options IMO.


wow first time I've ever heard anyone say that on this forum lol.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Do you want to live at home during law school ?

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Do you want to live at home during law school ?


Wouldn't mind it I'm pretty young my mom's pretty strict and overall I'd probably study an equal amount at home or more than not living at home. For some it would be a distraction, but at my house my mom would make it a no nonsense type of setting and basically take the choice away of what I am allowed to do with my free time.

I'm not suggesting that I'm not mature enough to live on my own or would not be able to study by myself. However, I am only 22 so living at home isn't such a bad thing for me.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Are you happy working in shitlaw at Pittsburgh with no debt after graduating?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Pittsburgh, if you want to live & work in Pittsburgh after law school. Cornell for NYC. Two great options, in my opinion. Congratulations !

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Are you happy working in shitlaw at Pittsburgh with no debt after graduating?



No I wouldn't be happy with that, but it would be helpful to me if you could help me with the other part of my question. Is this something that ever turns into a career or would I be stuck there for ever. I could live off of 30-40 for a long time in my city but eventually I would like to make somewhere between 60-80k at the very least. It wouldn't matter if it took me a while, but I have no delusions of making big law in this small secondary market.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Pittsburgh, if you want to live & work in Pittsburgh after law school. Cornell for NYC. Two great options, in my opinion. Congratulations !


You don't think h/she can go back to Pittsburgh from Cornell?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 pm

Yes, OP can return to Pittsburgh from Cornell, but why spend the extra $150,000 or so ?

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Yes, OP can return to Pittsburgh from Cornell, but why spend the extra $150,000 or so ?


If OP strikes out in Pittsburgh they have NYC as a fallback. OP has indicated only a "slight preference" and seems more concerned about career options overall.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Yes, OP can return to Pittsburgh from Cornell, but why spend the extra $150,000 or so ?


Thats partially the argument I've heard from everyone I've talked to in combination with in my opinion unrealistic expectations about employment following Pitt law. I believe this stems from the fact that I've obviously been talking to most lawyers who are a little older and when they went to law school the market was much better. However, a few t20 people have also told me Pitt. The only person i've talked to who hasn't said Pitt is a recent graduate who clerks for a judge that teaches one of my undergrad classes. He also had to take out loans to go to Pitt.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Mr. Somebody: Reread my first post in this thread.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Yes, OP can return to Pittsburgh from Cornell, but why spend the extra $150,000 or so ?


Thats partially the argument I've heard from everyone I've talked to in combination with in my opinion unrealistic expectations about employment following Pitt law. I believe this stems from the fact that I've obviously been talking to most lawyers who are a little older and when they went to law school the market was much better. However, a few t20 people have also told me Pitt. The only person i've talked to who hasn't said Pitt is a recent graduate who clerks for a judge that teaches one of my undergrad classes. He also had to take out loans to go to Pitt.


I'm from Florida and don't know anything about Pittsburgh. I can only go by the statistics which seem to indicate unless you finish at the top of your class you're going to end up in shitlaw. If you are happy with that while having no real debt (living at home), then that's what I would go with. I can't seem to find any statistics on the law school's website, maybe if you contact them you can get a detailed breakdown.

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:00 pm

You don't want to limit yourself in your career options so early in your career. This is why I suggest going to Cornell, you will be able to do so much more with your career. Sure you will have debt, but you pay for what you get, and you will get more out of Cornell.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Yes, OP can return to Pittsburgh from Cornell, but why spend the extra $150,000 or so ?

Because he'll have a significant leg up for the handful of big firms in Pittsburgh over the entire class of Pitt grads gunning for the same jobs. And median at Cornell gives him a shot at NYC firms while median at Pitt means he's potentially unemployed. He's only 22 and with no debt, Cornell is a better option for what he wants to do.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:04 pm

My understanding is that Pittsburgh is a bit unusual. I've been told that Duquesne grads get hired by Pittsburgh's most prominent firms. Regardless, $150,000 plus interest is a lot of debt versus no debt in one's preferred market--even if that preference is only a "slight preference".

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:08 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My understanding is that Pittsburgh is a bit unusual. I've been told that Duquesne grads get hired by Pittsburgh's most prominent firms. Regardless, $150,000 plus interest is a lot of debt versus no debt in one's preferred market--even if that preference is only a "slight preference".

Yeah you can say the same of all local schools but that's only the top top of the class at Pitt that has those opportunities. OP has nothing tying him to this market. If he was 30 with a wife and kids this is a different story.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby bruss » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Is this even real. And ivy vs a shit hole and the only thing that makes the shit hole appealing is that you have ties. Come on bro you can get a job in Pittsburgh if you go to Cornell. Don't pass up a chance for NYC big law because you are afraid of success.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm

bruss wrote:Is this even real. And ivy vs a shit hole and the only thing that makes the shit hole appealing is that you have ties. Come on bro you can get a job in Pittsburgh if you go to Cornell. Don't pass up a chance for NYC big law because you are afraid of success.



I wouldn't exactly call Pitt a shithole. I do see your point and I'm not afraid of success. The general wisdom is that you shouldn't attend law school unless its with scholarship or in a market you want to be with with ties. Pitt just happens to be the best law school in my market, and I got a full ride to that school. I think its a legitimate question. Just my opinion tho.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Cornell $$ v Pitt (Full Ride)

Postby bruss » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
bruss wrote:Is this even real. And ivy vs a shit hole and the only thing that makes the shit hole appealing is that you have ties. Come on bro you can get a job in Pittsburgh if you go to Cornell. Don't pass up a chance for NYC big law because you are afraid of success.



I wouldn't exactly call Pitt a shithole. I do see your point and I'm not afraid of success. The general wisdom is that you shouldn't attend law school unless its with scholarship or in a market you want to be with with ties. Pitt just happens to be the best law school in my market, and I got a full ride to that school. I think its a legitimate question. Just my opinion tho.


Sorry for the hyperbole. But yes you are correct in ur statments above,But this only applies when you are talking about schools OUTSIDE OF THE T14.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests