CLS($50k), NYU($87.5k), UVa($150k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CLS($50K), NYU($87.5K), UVa$150K)

CLS $50k
29%
NYU $87.5
22%
UVa $150
49%

Total votes: 148

sfreuden

New

CLS($50k), NYU($87.5k), UVa($150k)

Post by sfreuden » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:12 am

I just received my Columbia award package. $50k, which I know is nothing to scoff at, but I was hoping for more because I sent them my NYU letter with $87.5. Does anyone think they might bump it up if I send them an e-mail or phone the financial aid office basically saying: "All else equal, I would go to CLS in a heartbeat. But $37.5k plus interest is a lot of money. Is there anything you can do for me?" Even though they already received the original NYU letter...

Anyway, I want NYC biglaw, and I really want to live in the city for law school. That is basically why for UVa vs. CLS/NYU, I think I am going to decide against UVa. The deadline for my deposit is this Friday (4/5), so I'm feeling kind of anxious that the full scholarship offer is going to be closed to me soon.

I know CLS vs. NYU pretty much comes down to money / personal preference. I would prefer to go to CLS, but money says NYU. Any thoughts? I don't have any undergraduate debt, and I have enough savings that I would graduate NYU with about $70k debt and CLS with about $110k debt. My parents are telling me to just go to CLS, that in the grand scheme of things that $40k isn't really going to matter all that much. But I don't know, from where I'm standing it does seem like a lot of money...

I would appreciate any advice.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Re: CLS($50k), NYU($87.5k), UVa($150k)

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 am

I voted CLS. I think, and this might be terrible advice, since you are HYP undergrad, if you pair that with even decent grades CLS you're going to have absolutely no problem landing NYC biglaw. So since you want biglaw (and probably need biglaw to pay off your debt anyways), just go with the one you really want.

sfreuden

New

Post by sfreuden » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:37 am

bernaldiaz wrote:I voted CLS. I think, and this might be terrible advice, since you are HYP undergrad, if you pair that with even decent grades CLS you're going to have absolutely no problem landing NYC biglaw. So since you want biglaw (and probably need biglaw to pay off your debt anyways), just go with the one you really want.
Does HYP undergrad matter at all for biglaw?

And thanks for voting. CLS is the one I really want, but I'm going to try to visit NYU on Friday just to re-scope things out. Even though this is really not a good time for me to be going anywhere off-campus, because my senior thesis is due in 4 weeks...

noggo10

New

Post by noggo10 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 am

Weird I am in a similar situation. Prefer CLS but am also $37.5k short from them as compared to NYU. I sent a letter today via email trying to negotiate. I'll let you know how it goes. Worth a try and good luck on it!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:00 am

my guess is that CLS believes they are worth 37.5k more than NYU. I don't think they will be swayed. Also, keep in mind that many get no help at CLS so 50k is pretty great. That said, if you like NYU too, you'll probably get biglaw anyway and save some money

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 am

With a 180/3.7, you should be able to get into Harvard. Then negotiate.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:34 am

Cls if that's where heart is at. Could probably get same jobs from nyu though

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 am

sfreuden wrote:I just received my Columbia award package. $50k, which I know is nothing to scoff at, but I was hoping for more because I sent them my NYU letter with $87.5. Does anyone think they might bump it up if I send them an e-mail or phone the financial aid office basically saying: "All else equal, I would go to CLS in a heartbeat. But $37.5k plus interest is a lot of money. Is there anything you can do for me?" Even though they already received the original NYU letter...

Anyway, I want NYC biglaw, and I really want to live in the city for law school. That is basically why for UVa vs. CLS/NYU, I think I am going to decide against UVa. The deadline for my deposit is this Friday (4/5), so I'm feeling kind of anxious that the full scholarship offer is going to be closed to me soon.

I know CLS vs. NYU pretty much comes down to money / personal preference. I would prefer to go to CLS, but money says NYU. Any thoughts? I don't have any undergraduate debt, and I have enough savings that I would graduate NYU with about $70k debt and CLS with about $110k debt. My parents are telling me to just go to CLS, that in the grand scheme of things that $40k isn't really going to matter all that much. But I don't know, from where I'm standing it does seem like a lot of money...

Go to Columbia, since you like it better. You're right, it's more a matter of money and personal preference.

Disclaimer: I'm going to NYU next fall.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 am

bernaldiaz wrote:I voted CLS. I think, and this might be terrible advice, since you are HYP undergrad, if you pair that with even decent grades CLS you're going to have absolutely no problem landing NYC biglaw. So since you want biglaw (and probably need biglaw to pay off your debt anyways), just go with the one you really want.

This line of reasoning would apply equally well to an HYP undergrad who does decently well at NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:16 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:
sfreuden wrote:I just received my Columbia award package. $50k, which I know is nothing to scoff at, but I was hoping for more because I sent them my NYU letter with $87.5. Does anyone think they might bump it up if I send them an e-mail or phone the financial aid office basically saying: "All else equal, I would go to CLS in a heartbeat. But $37.5k plus interest is a lot of money. Is there anything you can do for me?" Even though they already received the original NYU letter...

Go to Columbia, since you like it better. You're right, it's more a matter of money and personal preference.

Disclaimer: I'm going to NYU next fall.
i agree and am also going to NYU next fall, though i would speak to students at both schools first.

I personally like NYU better then columbia because from the students i spoke to NYU seems more chill (as chill as a t6 could be) and im not in the mood for 3 years of cut-throatness (cut-throatness should be a word).

but if you like CLS better the 37.5 is not worth 3 years of regrets

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 am

If you go to NYU, think of that extra $37.5k as a graduation gift to buy you a brand new BMW 328i coupe. I'd probably give that up for a school I preferred. You prefer CLS so I'd take that. 110k out of CLS is entirely manageable.

Assuming you are K-JD, you will work for about 40 years divided by $37.5k. Are you willing to pay the $938/year premium for CLS? How bout the ~$2.60/day? Not bad IMO.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 am

Virginia.

UVA can get you NYC biglaw without big debt.

Compare total COA for each law school before deciding.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 am

I am a current CLS 3L. You should go to Virginia. Seriously. It has biglaw placement that is pretty damn good in NYC and you will graduate with no debt- meaning those first few years in NYC are going to be that much sweeter if you are not paying Aunt Sallie every month.

If not UVa- then NYU. There is almost no difference between CLS/NYU in terms of biglaw placement. None. The student bodies are basically the same. The only difference is living in Morningside vs. living in the Village and it's not worth $37.5K. You would have to be a fool to turn down NYU vs. CLS when the COA gap is so great.
izy223 wrote: i agree and am also going to NYU next fall, though i would speak to students at both schools first.

I personally like NYU better then columbia because from the students i spoke to NYU seems more chill (as chill as a t6 could be) and im not in the mood for 3 years of cut-throatness (cut-throatness should be a word).

This is probably the dumbest myth about CLS students floated around out there, mostly by people who spend way too much time on law school forums. The student bodies are drawn from the exact same group of striverish people. Every top law school will be full of them. There will be the odd person who is cut-throat at both CLS and NYU, but there is certainly no cultural difference.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sfreuden

New

Post by sfreuden » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:48 am

noggo10 wrote:Weird I am in a similar situation. Prefer CLS but am also $37.5k short from them as compared to NYU. I sent a letter today via email trying to negotiate. I'll let you know how it goes. Worth a try and good luck on it!
Good luck to you as well.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:49 am

CLS or NYU considering your preferences. Pick whichever one you like best.

Also, you could try to throw in both the NYU and UVA aid info if you want to negotiate further.

sfreuden

New

Post by sfreuden » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 am

kwais wrote:my guess is that CLS believes they are worth 37.5k more than NYU. I don't think they will be swayed. Also, keep in mind that many get no help at CLS so 50k is pretty great. That said, if you like NYU too, you'll probably get biglaw anyway and save some money
I think you're right about CLS believing it's worth $37.5k more than NYU, because I feel like quite a few people have that $37.5k difference between them. But I guess it is probably worth trying to ask.

sfreuden

New

Post by sfreuden » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 am

CanadianWolf wrote:With a 180/3.7, you should be able to get into Harvard. Then negotiate.
I'm currently Held at Harvard. I may or may not get in, but I want to make my decision as if I've been denied. Also, I feel like I would probably go to Harvard if I got in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:58 am

First, I would take UVA. It's a good school, it will be tremendously cheaper to live during school, and the safety net of very little debt is well worth the marginal difference in NYC biglaw placement.

But if you want to be in NYC during school: I took money at NYU over CLS with none, and would do it again. However, your parents are right: if you like CLS better, in the grand scheme of law school cost of attendance, the financial difference isn't that great, and you should just go with it.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:06 pm

It seems like you've already made up your mind against UVA, but just in case you haven't, I want to echo the sentiments of the other posters who have suggested it (especially the CLS 3L) and say take the money.

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:18 pm

I know you seem deadset on living in NYC, but you are going to spend your entire career there. With this in mind, I think you should take a closer look at 150k from UVA. You're never going to get this choice again, and this is just way too much money to pass up imo. Also, it's UVA, not a TTT, you can easily get biglaw out of UVA. Also, you get to keep a larger amount of your paycheck!

sfreuden

New

Post by sfreuden » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Renzo wrote:First, I would take UVA. It's a good school, it will be tremendously cheaper to live during school, and the safety net of very little debt is well worth the marginal difference in NYC biglaw placement.

But if you want to be in NYC during school: I took money at NYU over CLS with none, and would do it again. However, your parents are right: if you like CLS better, in the grand scheme of law school cost of attendance, the financial difference isn't that great, and you should just go with it.
Thanks for the advice. Depending on the day (hour, minute...) I waffle between NYU and CLS, and sometimes I really think about taking the scholly at UVa. But parents put a bit of money away for me for college (and I didn't use it for undergrad), so NYU debt for me would be below $100k and Columbia debt would be just a bit over. If I had to take it all out in student loans, I think it would be a lot harder to turn UVa down.

I'm going to visit NYU on Friday, and hopefully make my mind up after that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Usually I would say UVA here because that's a huge offer, but considering you have some money saved up and want to live in the city, I think CLS is the way to go here. Might as well be happy during the biggest year of your life (1L), and from what you're saying you won't be very happy in CVille.

All great offers though, congrats.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I am a current CLS 3L. You should go to Virginia. Seriously. It has biglaw placement that is pretty damn good in NYC and you will graduate with no debt- meaning those first few years in NYC are going to be that much sweeter if you are not paying Aunt Sallie every month.

If not UVa- then NYU. There is almost no difference between CLS/NYU in terms of biglaw placement. None. The student bodies are basically the same. The only difference is living in Morningside vs. living in the Village and it's not worth $37.5K. You would have to be a fool to turn down NYU vs. CLS when the COA gap is so great.
izy223 wrote: i agree and am also going to NYU next fall, though i would speak to students at both schools first.

This is probably the dumbest myth about CLS students floated around out there, mostly by people who spend way too much time on law school forums. The student bodies are drawn from the exact same group of striverish people. Every top law school will be full of them. There will be the odd person who is cut-throat at both CLS and NYU, but there is certainly no cultural difference.
I co-sign all of this. Little/no debt out of UVA would be awesome. Think about pocketing all of that biglaw salary that would have gone toward loans. CLS/NYU are reasonably priced for you but I personally think the UVA offer is relatively better. Oh, and CLS students are generally not at all cutthroat.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:52 pm

I'd still go with UVA since thats a lot of $$ they are giving you, but if you are deadset with being in the city, then I'd pick NYU. No way CLS is worth nearly $40K more, especially if NYC biglaw is your goal.

lblelalr

New

Post by lblelalr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 am

definitely take a look at overall COA. I think the cheapest rent around NYU is around $500 more than the cheapest rent around CLS. So in that case, the difference is closer to 20k~ish than 37.5k

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”