Baylor (90k) v. Houston (15k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Baylor (90k) v. Houston (15k)

UHLC
59%
Baylor
41%

Total votes: 34

bartleby

Silver

Re: Baylor (90k) v. Houston (15k)

Post by bartleby » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Titleist wrote:How big of a deal is the 33k difference between the two schools.

The way I look at it- if I'm going to already be in debt what is 33k more? Is this a bad idea?
that's a bad way to look at things bro. it's sorta how i looked at things - what's an extra $400 a month to live comfortably, or $100 here and there when I'm already taking out 25k or so...

$33k is a ton of money. just think you can get like a 3 series if you go to baylor v. going to houston. but if you do really have your heart set on houston, then i don't think $33k is enough for the "what if" factor

it isn't like you are deciding between two humongous different schools and it isn't $200k what-if t14 type of deal

lastly, for all the people who talk about how badly baylor sucks...maybe it does suck but when i ask people/when people ask me, i tell them law school sucks too...but if baylor legendarily sucks then...i don't know.

visit both places.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:15 pm

bartleby wrote:
Titleist wrote:How big of a deal is the 33k difference between the two schools.

The way I look at it- if I'm going to already be in debt what is 33k more? Is this a bad idea?
$33k is a ton of money. just think you can get like a 3 series if you go to baylor v. going to houston. but if you do really have your heart set on houston, then i don't think $33k is enough for the "what if" factor

it isn't like you are deciding between two humongous different schools and it isn't $200k what-if t14 type of deal

visit both places.
That is where the dilemma lies. My heart is set on UH. I really want to go to UH but my brain and my wallet tell me to go to Baylor.

I have visited both schools- Baylor is a lot nicer but I'm not going to judge my decision on facilities alone. Plus, Houston > Waco.

Also- McDuff- I have zero debt right now. This will be my first loan.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:19 pm

go to UH, we're pretty solid

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:26 pm

That is what I have been leaning towards all a long. I made this poll to make sure that I am not a complete idiot for passing up the Baylor money. Looks like either one is an acceptable choice given my situation.

Another holding me back- a very, very close family friend of ours is a Baylor law grad and works at a nice firm in DFW who really only hires Baylor grads. I feel going to UH will burn this bridge and that valuable connection.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Titleist wrote:That is what I have been leaning towards all a long. I made this poll to make sure that I am not a complete idiot for passing up the Baylor money. Looks like either one is an acceptable choice given my situation.

Another holding me back- a very, very close family friend of ours is a Baylor law grad and works at a nice firm in DFW who really only hires Baylor grads. I feel going to UH will burn this bridge and that valuable connection.
lol dude c'mon, then go to baylor

contrary to some minority belief - despite UH's good reputation - and despite that Houston is a "great, burgeoning" market - a ton of UT graduates can't find jobs. i don't want to go all mtal but shit is crazy right now

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:34 pm

True. However, it is not like I have a guaranteed job with my connection. It is just that- he is a connection and I'm not sure if he/she has any leverage of hiring associates.

Something to think about. It is a respectable firm so obviously grades are important and if I could make the grades to get that job then I would assume similar grades at UH could land me a job.

ETA- looking at the profiles of new associates they do hire UHLC grads. So maybe the bridge would not be burned?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Any stipulations on those schollies?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:41 pm

okay this back and forth convo is probably not great because i'm stressed and keep misreading. very, very close family friend seemed to suggest they'd stick your resume at the top of the stack and give you a big boost. at least that's what i would expect from a very, very close family friend.

in the long run, 33k will not make a difference. it seems like you are set on UH so i would just go there. i flip flopped 100 times before making a decision and went with my gut (UH). i don't really regret it because i made that decision. you don't want to be at baylor at the end of the first semester wishing you went to UH.

make the deposit, talk extensively to brose or tjismyhero as they did well, be a G

congrats

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:57 pm

bartleby wrote:okay this back and forth convo is probably not great because i'm stressed and keep misreading. very, very close family friend seemed to suggest they'd stick your resume at the top of the stack and give you a big boost. at least that's what i would expect from a very, very close family friend.

in the long run, 33k will not make a difference. it seems like you are set on UH so i would just go there. i flip flopped 100 times before making a decision and went with my gut (UH). i don't really regret it because i made that decision. you don't want to be at baylor at the end of the first semester wishing you went to UH.

make the deposit, talk extensively to brose or tjismyhero as they did well, be a G

congrats
Thanks. I just wanted reassurance that I was not making a poor decision. I believe I have received that from this thread.

Also- the stips are top 75% for Baylor and I do not know the UH stips yet. They only emailed me saying my award- letter is in the mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

renee88

Bronze

Post by renee88 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm just finishing up my first year at Baylor- I promise the stories about tearing pages out of books are not true! At least, not from my experiences. The people here are wonderful. It's a lot of work but it's not more than the vast majority of people can handle. It sounds like you already know where you want to go and I wouldn't let that amount of debt hold you back- but if you have any questions feel free to PM me! Good luck with your decision.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Good to see Baylor has "TT" stips and not "TTT" like last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”