Cornell: $90,000 CoA vs. Notre Dame: $0 CoA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell or Notre Dame?

Cornell: $90,000 CoA
68%
Notre Dame: $0 CoA
32%

Total votes: 82

KMaine

Silver

Re: Cornell: $90,000 CoA vs. Notre Dame: $0 CoA

Post by KMaine » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:23 pm

igo2northwestern wrote:I don't really have a strong position towards either school, but I figured that some stats might be relevant to your decision:

ND: 26 students of 190 who graduated in 2011 received jobs in NLJ250 firms (13.68%)
Cornell: 72 students of 188 who graduated in 2011 received jobs in NLJ250 firms (38.3%)

Source: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

It's actually really easy to find these stats over the last 5 years, so perhaps you should do a search on this.
The 2012 and 2013 numbers will be much better - My guess is Cornell will be over 60%. ND should improve as well.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:30 pm

kaiser wrote:
JasonR wrote:
ze2151 wrote:this is a very, very easy choice.

enjoy being a domer.
Ignore this terrible advice.
What are you talking about? This is as "on the fence" as one can be with regard to picking a school. It would be impossible to conceive of one choice as being the clear right answer, absent some consideration that OP neglected to share with us.
Right. Thus, it is not a "very, very easy choice." Which makes that response terrible advice. Not too difficult.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
kaiser wrote:
JasonR wrote:

enjoy being a domer.
What are you talking about? This is as "on the fence" as one can be with regard to picking a school. It would be impossible to conceive of one choice as being the clear right answer, absent some consideration that OP neglected to share with us.
So then you agree with JasonR.
LOL, exactly.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:39 pm

go to cornell. 90k won't sink you like 215k would

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:57 pm

it's not terrible advice. it's very good advice.

op- i doubt most of the people telling you to go 90k in debt have ever made a payment on loans before.

i was down to harvard-sticker, uva-20k, and emory-free + stipend. i have never once wondered "what could have been."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RobotGardener

New

Post by RobotGardener » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:59 pm

ze2151 wrote:it's not terrible advice. it's very good advice.

op- i doubt most of the people telling you to go 90k in debt have ever made a payment on loans before.

i was down to harvard-sticker, uva-20k, and emory-free + stipend. i have never once wondered "what could have been."
Is this a joke? You chose Emory over Harvard? This makes all your advice worthless.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Why can't you talk to Cornell? I agree that FREE is always attractive, but Cornell is, well, Cornell. Ask for aid package reconsideration. See if you can't get some $$$ from them. Tell them you want to go to Cornell but ND is offering a fullride. You don't expect to get anything near FR from them, but you would like to see some money as a gesture.

Couldn't hurt. They aren't going to reply, "F-U, we take back our offer of acceptance..."

Try to get at least ten grand from Cornell. ND isn't that far behind that Cornell wouldn't consider shuffling some peanuts your way, surely. Just ask for scraps and then go to Cornell.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:27 pm

You lying ass. You do realize this board has a search function, right? Here's one from two years ago:
ze2151 wrote:i had nearly identical stats (3.78/176) and didn't get into yale, but i think you have a shot at harvard. i didn't apply to h/s so i can't speak from exp.
There are several others. There are also posts where you diss Emory, even after a visit, and lavish praise on UVA and Duke. It's obvious from two minutes of looking at your posts that you really wanted UVA but couldn't get enough money from them. So you've spent two years trying to convince yourself and others that you made the choice you really wanted and have no regrets.

And your advice is still terrible.

Bond

New

Post by Bond » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:48 pm

kaiser wrote:
JasonR wrote:

enjoy being a domer.
The only caveat I didn't include in my original post, but replied later with, is that I would prefer to work in Chicago/Midwest secondary market or a Northeast secondary market over NYC.

I'm unfortunately (maybe fortunately sometimes?) a bit indecisive by nature, so this has been a back-and-forth debate for me.

I've appreciated all the insight so far, and would welcome anything else. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:02 pm

JasonR wrote:

You lying ass. You do realize this board has a search function, right? Here's one from two years ago:
ze2151 wrote:i had nearly identical stats (3.78/176) and didn't get into yale, but i think you have a shot at harvard. i didn't apply to h/s so i can't speak from exp.
There are several others. There are also posts where you diss Emory, even after a visit, and lavish praise on UVA and Duke. It's obvious from two minutes of looking at your posts that you really wanted UVA but couldn't get enough money from them. So you've spent two years trying to convince yourself and others that you made the choice you really wanted and have no regrets.

And your advice is still terrible.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Bond wrote:The only caveat I didn't include in my original post, but replied later with, is that I would prefer to work in Chicago/Midwest secondary market or a Northeast secondary market over NYC.

I'm unfortunately (maybe fortunately sometimes?) a bit indecisive by nature, so this has been a back-and-forth debate for me.

I've appreciated all the insight so far, and would welcome anything else.
Look brother, Cornell is obviously never a bad decision. But you just answered your question with the above.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:31 am

mmm isn't 90k basically $900/month over 15 years? from what i remember a bunch of people on this board were crying about ND employment prospects. i'm sure people at cornell cry too though

good thing is it isn't a terrible position to be in - i will stop giving my shit advice... starting...now.

nrj1084

New

Post by nrj1084 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:16 am

For working in Chicago or a midwest secondary market, I'd go to Notre Dame.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”