Michigan, Michigan State, or IU-B Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

MSU, IU-B, or Michigan

MSU (Full tuition Scholarship)
16%
IU-B (Full tuition Scholarship)
16%
Michigan (Sticker)
68%

Total votes: 19

Imogene

New

Michigan, Michigan State, or IU-B

Post by Imogene » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:57 pm

I have pretty much ended my cycle, and I have narrowed it down to these three schools. I have full tuition scholarships at MSU and IU-B, and Michigan would be at sticker.

I live in Michigan, and I want to practice in Michigan. I don't have an interest in biglaw. I am actually most interested in prosecution. Of course, I have heard that your career goals may change once you start school.

MSU: Full tuition scholarship with a 3.0 stip. I could live at home, so my COL would be extremely low. I would be able to graduate with very little to no debt, if I can keep the scholarship.

Michigan: I am extremely debt adverse, so paying sticker scares me. Otherwise, I love the school. The LRAP is encouraging, but that doesn't really negate the fact that I would still have over 100k in debt.

IU-B: Full tuition scholarship renewable with satisfactory progress. I would have to pay a lot in COL, but the scholarship is the best. It is also not in Michigan, so the distance worries me a bit.

I would love to hear your opinions! I am looking for some different perspectives. I am currently leaning towards MSU, but I am scared that I will lose my scholarship. Do you think it would be possible to negotiate the stips away?

bdubs

Gold

Re: Michigan, Michigan State, or IU-B

Post by bdubs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Michigan.

Prosecutor jobs are not always easy to get from lower ranked schools (it's even hard from a top school). Also, Prosecutors qualify for LRAP, so money shouldn't be as big of a deal.

Imogene

New

Post by Imogene » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:06 pm

bdubs wrote:Michigan.

Prosecutor jobs are not always easy to get from lower ranked schools (it's even hard from a top school). Also, Prosecutors qualify for LRAP, so money shouldn't be as big of a deal.
Thanks for your opinion!

I was afraid that Michigan would be the general answer. I am going to ASW next weekend, so maybe I will get a better idea of how the LRAP works and the availability of prosecution jobs.

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 am

You'll realize how easy this decision is once you visit Michigan...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”