Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AD10390
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby AD10390 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Currently have offers from Bama and Minnesota for 25k a year each. Tuition difference is about 15k, Minnesota being more $. Currently waiting on responses still from Fordham, Vanderbilt and Cornell.
Looking for some input, Ill update this post when I get the other responses.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 17221
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Are you financing the rest of these with debt?

Where do you want to work?

What kind of work do you want to do?

Where are you from?

AD10390
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby AD10390 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Yes taking out loans to cover excess expenses

Open to working anywhere currently.


Looking to specialize in Business Law, still uncertain on specifics.

Currently living in NY.

User avatar
rad lulz
Posts: 10220
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Where are you from, and where do you have ties.

AD10390
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby AD10390 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Live on Long Island, ties to NYC

User avatar
rad lulz
Posts: 10220
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:
AD10390 wrote:Live on Long Island, ties to NYC

Since you have no ties no either region, neither.


+1

User avatar
MTBike
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby MTBike » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm

rad lulz wrote:
AD10390 wrote:Live on Long Island, ties to NYC

Since you have no ties no either region, neither.


Dumb advice... turn down a scholarship to a top 20 law school because you lack "ties"?

No... just, no.

User avatar
rad lulz
Posts: 10220
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MTBike
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby MTBike » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
MTBike wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
AD10390 wrote:Live on Long Island, ties to NYC

Since you have no ties no either region, neither.


Dumb advice... turn down a scholarship to a top 20 law school because you lack "ties"?

No... just, no.

Doesn't matter where MN is ranked (USNWR rankings are basically irrelevant forbhiring), it's a regional MN school. MN, like other Midwestern states, had a bias against outsiders who know basically nothing about the state and have no connection to it. Biglaw chances are low low low, and debt is large. What's the problem.


So whats your advice then eh? Don't go to LS and work at K-Mart? Of course, it would have to be your local K-Mart, only way he'd get hired.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
MTBike wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Since you have no ties no either region, neither.


Dumb advice... turn down a scholarship to a top 20 law school because you lack "ties"?

No... just, no.

Doesn't matter where MN is ranked (USNWR rankings are basically irrelevant forbhiring), it's a regional MN school. MN, like other Midwestern states, had a bias against outsiders who know basically nothing about the state and have no connection to it. Biglaw chances are low low low, and debt is large. What's the problem.


I think you both are right to an extent. While people with pre-law school ties to a region do have a larger probability of getting employed with smaller employers than those without them, the OP won't be unemployable solely because he/she lacks those ties.

If the OP could not get a job in the local job market after graduating from one of those two schools, it would more likely be a result of the competitiveness of the market and the OP's grades than a result of the OP lacking ties.

User avatar
MTBike
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby MTBike » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
MTBike wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Since you have no ties no either region, neither.


Dumb advice... turn down a scholarship to a top 20 law school because you lack "ties"?

No... just, no.

Doesn't matter where MN is ranked (USNWR rankings are basically irrelevant forbhiring), it's a regional MN school. MN, like other Midwestern states, had a bias against outsiders who know basically nothing about the state and have no connection to it. Biglaw chances are low low low, and debt is large. What's the problem.


I think you both are right to an extent. While people with pre-law school ties to a region do have a larger probability of getting employed with smaller employers than those without them, the OP won't be unemployable solely because he/she lacks those ties.

If the OP could not get a job in the local job market after graduating from one of those two schools, it would more likely be a result of the competitiveness of the market and the OP's grades than a result of the OP lacking ties.


+1

User avatar
rad lulz
Posts: 10220
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rad lulz
Posts: 10220
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:49 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1229
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby top30man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:Where are you from, and where do you have ties.

Is therea Fordham or Cardozo with $$$ option?

User avatar
MTBike
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby MTBike » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:20 pm

rad lulz wrote:
MTBike wrote:Don't go to LS and work at K-Mart?

Why are going to lawl school and working at K-Mart the only two options.


You are the trolliest of all trolls... isnt there some sort of troll forum you should be on instead of here? Trollytrollerson.com? drtrollster.org? Im just spitballing here. Trying to help you out.

User avatar
rad lulz
Posts: 10220
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:27 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 13843
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:30 pm

MTBike wrote:Trollytrollerson.com?

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:32 pm

MTBike wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
MTBike wrote:Don't go to LS and work at K-Mart?

Why are going to lawl school and working at K-Mart the only two options.


You are the trolliest of all trolls... isnt there some sort of troll forum you should be on instead of here? Trollytrollerson.com? drtrollster.org? Im just spitballing here. Trying to help you out.


I fail to see how advising someone w/ no ties whatsoever to Alabama not to go to law school there qualifies as trolling.

User avatar
MTBike
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby MTBike » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:34 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:
MTBike wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
MTBike wrote:Don't go to LS and work at K-Mart?

Why are going to lawl school and working at K-Mart the only two options.


You are the trolliest of all trolls... isnt there some sort of troll forum you should be on instead of here? Trollytrollerson.com? drtrollster.org? Im just spitballing here. Trying to help you out.


I fail to see how advising someone w/ no ties whatsoever to Alabama not to go to law school there qualifies as trolling.

Didnt mention alabama... merely Minnesota. Read closer my friend.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:38 pm

MTBike wrote:Didnt mention alabama... merely Minnesota. Read closer my friend.


Um, the thread title mentions Bama and Minnesota, and radlulz said neither would be a good option. You implied that he was a troll, but what he said regarding both schools is true. I'm from the Midwest myself and can attest to the insularity of hiring here FWIW. Outside the T14 (not T20 whatever that is), it's all regional.

User avatar
rad lulz
Posts: 10220
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rad lulz
Posts: 10220
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm

,
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby JCFindley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Bama in steps....

1. Accept scholarship

2. Spend time not studying trying to meet an undergrad that is a Judge's daughter that thinks the LI accent is cool.

3. Spend next six months getting her to fall in love and getting engaged.

4. Spend the six months after that trying to lose the LI accent before you meet her daddy.

5. Move to Arab or Union Springs or other small Alabama town and live in happy bliss while ignoring the "You're a yankee, aren't ya?" questions the rest of your life......

OK, I am joking, kind of..... Just be at the top of your class and look at Birmingham and Huntsville which are not as deeply southern as the rest of the state. That and hit Atlanta and try and beat out the Emory, UGA and Vandy grads there.....

Anything can be done but it is a seriously parochial market, even at K-Mart.... Just make your choices with your eyes open.... On the upside, if you like the state you are a lot more likely to get a job there going to Bama than if you went to NYU or one of those California Hippie schools....

JC

(I have deep roots in AL and my dad is from the state. My mom was born in CT had to listen to the yankee comments every time we were in the state. That attitude is still prevalent in much of the state and its not hyperbole.....)

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Postby JamesChapman23 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm

rad lulz is right on about the midwest and south. They are almost tribal in their requirement for local connections. Kids at my T30 school that were from the area got interviews around median, where you had to be at least Top 20 percent to get the screener otherwise. It was the first question out of every local NALP firms mouth.

Not to mention, Bama and Minnesota are the perfect example of trap schools that lure people in with high ranking but turn out to have TTT employment stats. After the T14, the rankings largerly revolve around which school has the most library volumes or other worthless things. See Professor Campos remarks on this: http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... hools.html (People think they are somehow exempt from the law market Apocalypse because they go to a T1, so distinct from the proles at TTTs)
Last edited by JamesChapman23 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigZuck and 6 guests