Advice on what law schools to consider

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
basketball law guy

Advice on what law schools to consider

Postby basketball law guy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:50 pm

I am finishing up my 3rd year undergrad at a midwestern college. I am on a basketball scholarship and just completed my season. I plan on taking the LSAT in October, not enough prep time (with basketball and studies) for the June test. I am unsure what I will do after law school. I may move back to my hometown and have a nice small city practice with opportunities at a couple firms (city size 80,000, firm size 10-14 attorneys). I have two uncles at big law firms but also have exposure to small town law firms. Small town practice appeals to me for a couple reasons: family lifestyle and the ability to make good money and have a ready-made practice.

My question- I have a 3.98 GPA and pretty good softs considering my commitment to basketball. LSAT to be taken in October. Should I limit my application to University of Iowa and a couple others knowing that I PROBABLY will remain in the area or do I apply to higher ranked law schools (unknown LSAT now)? Cost/benefit of getting in at a Notre Dame but maybe practicing small city? Starting salaries in small cities average about 60-80K. Most good attorneys then average salaries of 200-300K after five years of practice. My interest right now is Corporate, Estate Planning, Probate, etc. Any thoughts as I begin this daunting journey?? Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Re: Advice on what law schools to consider

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:52 pm

You need an actual LSAT score before determining targeted law schools beyond your state's public (Iowa) law school. The LSAT counts for well over 50% of the admissions decision; many believe that the LSAT is weighted 75% & one's GPA 25%.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”