Seton Hall Full$ v. T30 $ v. probably sticker T14 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mithriliel

New

Seton Hall Full$ v. T30 $ v. probably sticker T14

Post by mithriliel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm

I am having a ridiculously hard time picking because everyone I ask tells me something different. I live in NJ and plan to practice in the area.

I have a full ride at Seton Hall.

I also have Fordham with $15/year, GW with $16/year, UCLA with $20/year, and BU and Vandy still waiting on scholarship offers.

I've been waitlisted at Gtown, UVA and Michigan so far and due to certain circumstances I'm confident I will be pulled off the waitlist of at least one, but probably at sticker. Still waiting on Cornell, NYU, Penn, Duke, Stanford (probably going to be WLs if anything and no money)

I plan to stay in NJ/NY area to practice. Big Law probably isn't my long term career goal (though that may change) and I do want to be able to have a family in the near future. I will be paying for law school myself through loans and don't have much extra saved up.

Help please :)

bk1

Diamond

Re: Seton Hall Full$ v. T30 $ v. probably sticker T14

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Well I think T30's with half money or less are easily out since the job prospects to debt ratio is worse than your other options (not to mention some of them aren't in the NY/NJ region).

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:12 pm

This may come as contrary to what a lot of people on here will say, but if you're looking to stay in New Jersey and not work big law, go with Seton Hall on a full-ride (ONLY if you can negotiate it as no GPA stipulations). It may not be throwing tons of folks in big law, but if you're looking for some smaller time gig near family and want to start a family in the near future, the debt may not be worth it. If they won't budge on stips, then I'd say wait for a T14 though.

mithriliel

New

Post by mithriliel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:24 pm

crossarmant wrote:This may come as contrary to what a lot of people on here will say, but if you're looking to stay in New Jersey and not work big law, go with Seton Hall on a full-ride (ONLY if you can negotiate it as no GPA stipulations). It may not be throwing tons of folks in big law, but if you're looking for some smaller time gig near family and want to start a family in the near future, the debt may not be worth it. If they won't budge on stips, then I'd say wait for a T14 though.
It's the whole stay in the top 50% of the class stip, 2.5 GPA. My thing is I would hope I could stay in the top 50%, otherwise I worry that I shouldn't be attending a T14 anyway, haha.

hooma

Bronze

Post by hooma » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:33 pm

mithriliel wrote:
crossarmant wrote:This may come as contrary to what a lot of people on here will say, but if you're looking to stay in New Jersey and not work big law, go with Seton Hall on a full-ride (ONLY if you can negotiate it as no GPA stipulations). It may not be throwing tons of folks in big law, but if you're looking for some smaller time gig near family and want to start a family in the near future, the debt may not be worth it. If they won't budge on stips, then I'd say wait for a T14 though.
It's the whole stay in the top 50% of the class stip, 2.5 GPA. My thing is I would hope I could stay in the top 50%, otherwise I worry that I shouldn't be attending a T14 anyway, haha.
I have a friend at Seton Hall that has the same scholarship and kept it, but barely. She's pretty sure that they take all of the kids with scholarships and puts them in the same section, guaranteeing that half will lose their scholarships (since you are curved against your section, not your whole class). The school denies it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:35 pm

mithriliel wrote:
Bad logic

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Hard to give you an answer until you start getting responses for those schools. I was just wondering where Rutgers Newark and Camden are on your list, and also maybe even Cardozo.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Whoa! Id really like to know whether that scholarship trick is true or not...how can we verify?

mithriliel

New

Post by mithriliel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:56 pm

@bobby - I didn't do the Rutgers schools because Seton Hall was rated higher and gave me the fee waiver (I didn't get one from Rutgers). Plus being a UG at Rutgers I knew of the issues with Camden Law going to Rowan so I didn't want that risk.

@victor and @hooma - I have a couple friends at SH who have the full scholly who said that they don't scholly stack the classes. One of them works in admissions, she gives tours and stuff, and I'm fairly sure she would tell me. But I do know they give different types of the full scholarship, some are application based and some are auto based on numbers, so it might vary based on that?

Just got the Penn reject though and my friends are planning a post graduation trip so no loans is looking QUITE appealing right now...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Linsanity

New

Post by Linsanity » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 pm

UCLA. Its absolutely beautiful there and an amazing school. Dont know how you can pass that up.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm

mithriliel wrote:@bobby - I didn't do the Rutgers schools because Seton Hall was rated higher and gave me the fee waiver (I didn't get one from Rutgers). Plus being a UG at Rutgers I knew of the issues with Camden Law going to Rowan so I didn't want that risk.
I think this was a mistake. Rutgers Newark probably would have cost you just a little more than Seton Hall, but with a 3.0 stipulation. I assume it's too late now, but forking over the extra $65 would've been wise. The rankings are irrelevant at this point and the two schools have similar placement statistics.

mithriliel

New

Post by mithriliel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:46 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
mithriliel wrote:@bobby - I didn't do the Rutgers schools because Seton Hall was rated higher and gave me the fee waiver (I didn't get one from Rutgers). Plus being a UG at Rutgers I knew of the issues with Camden Law going to Rowan so I didn't want that risk.
I think this was a mistake. Rutgers Newark probably would have cost you just a little more than Seton Hall, but with a 3.0 stipulation. I assume it's too late now, but forking over the extra $65 would've been wise. The rankings are irrelevant at this point and the two schools have similar placement statistics.
What do you mean by the 3.0 stipulation? Seton hall offered the 2.5. My main hesitation with Rutgers Newark was the programs as well. I do have a science background and seton hall offered slightly more classes that had more of a science law basis to them from my research.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:55 pm

mithriliel wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:
What do you mean by the 3.0 stipulation? Seton hall offered the 2.5. My main hesitation with Rutgers Newark was the programs as well. I do have a science background and seton hall offered slightly more classes that had more of a science law basis to them from my research.
My understanding has always been that it is easier to keep scholarships at RU-N than it is at Seton Hall. My full ride to Seton Hall required me to stay in the top 1/2 of the class. If yours is different for some reason, than that could change things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mithriliel

New

Post by mithriliel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 pm

So I just got $25k/year from Vanderbilt - is that money and their ranking worth it if I want to end up practicing in NY/NJ? Their tuition is around $46k/year and then I would be paying living expenses

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Not sure what makes you think you'll get in off the WL at a T14 . . . but I would NOT attend Vandy if my goal was to end up practicing BigLaw in NY / NJ. And since you even said BigLaw is not your longterm goal, I would see if you could get Fordham to match (or more?) the scholarship you received from Vandy. Good luck!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 pm

mithriliel wrote:So I just got $25k/year from Vanderbilt - is that money and their ranking worth it if I want to end up practicing in NY/NJ? Their tuition is around $46k/year and then I would be paying living expenses
Your best bet at finding a job in NY is Fordham. But, seeing as how biglaw is not your main consideration, and you would be happy ending up in NJ, it's not worth $100k over Seton Hall - graduating with minimal debt is very important (unless you're going for biglaw).

Linsanity

New

Post by Linsanity » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

dingbat wrote:
Your best bet at finding a job in NY is Fordham. But, seeing as how biglaw is not your main consideration, and you would be happy ending up in NJ, it's not worth $100k over Seton Hall - graduating with minimal debt is very important (unless you're going for biglaw).

I personally would attend the best school possible. Vanderbilt is regarded as "The Harvard of the South" in that it is the best school down there. I'd go there over Seton Hall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Linsanity wrote:
dingbat wrote:

I personally would attend the best school possible. Vanderbilt is regarded as "The Harvard of the South" in that it is the best school down there. I'd go there over Seton Hall.
This is bad advice. You need to go where you plan on practicing after you graduate. If you have no ties to the region, you need to go to the best school/lowest debt where you have ties.

As for Vanderbilt being the best school in the South see Virginia.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:36 am

sunynp wrote:
Linsanity wrote:
dingbat wrote:

This is bad advice. You need to go where you plan on practicing after you graduate. If you have no ties to the region, you need to go to the best school/lowest debt where you have ties.

As for Vanderbilt being the best school in the South see Virginia.
This is not bad advice. Things start to change when you start getting into the vandy/usc/texas realm of schools. The Op has ties somewhere and a vandy degree traveling back will be worth more than some seton hall degree or fordham degree outside of ny. Furthermore, it will be a lot easier getting a ny biglaw job from vandy as compared to Seton Hall. Due to self selection, I think vandy is atleast equal to Fordham in NYC.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:39 am

Linsanity wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Vandy is not regarded as the Harvard of the South

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:18 pm

I'd say Seton Hall. I have two parents that are lawyers in NJ at a mid-size firm and essentially the whole office is from Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Fordham. SHU gets a bad rap on here not because it is a terrible school, but because it is an decent school that charges a fortune to attend. However, if you want to stay in NJ, are debt averse and aren't concerned with making HUGE money then it is a perfectly fine choice if you do reasonably well.

By the way, having spent my undergrad career down south I can say without a doubt that referring to Vanderbilt as the Harvard of the south is a pretty ridiculous statement. Duke/UVA are substantially better schools overall and it isn't even really close. It is far more in-line with the Wake/UNC/Emory/W&M tier with Vandy being at the top end.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:29 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:I'd say Seton Hall. I have two parents that are lawyers in NJ at a mid-size firm and essentially the whole office is from Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Fordham. SHU gets a bad rap on here not because it is a terrible school, but because it is an decent school that charges a fortune to attend. However, if you want to stay in NJ, are debt averse and aren't concerned with making HUGE money then it is a perfectly fine choice if you do reasonably well.

By the way, having spent my undergrad career down south I can say without a doubt that referring to Vanderbilt as the Harvard of the south is a pretty ridiculous statement. Duke/UVA are substantially better schools overall and it isn't even really close. It is far more in-line with the Wake/UNC/Emory/W&M tier with Vandy being at the top end.

LOL have you seen vandy's NLJ250 placement numbers compared to Wake/UNC/Emory/WM? Vandy's placement is far superior to those schools. I might agree with GW/BC/BU being close but certaintly not UNC/Emory/Wake...

I think you have decent odds that you will make 35k otu of seton hall. However, if that is the case, then why bother going to law school in the first place?

Linsanity

New

Post by Linsanity » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:36 pm

It is a ridiculous notion to even THINK that going to Vanderbilt is a mistake. It is one of those schools that is well regarded across the country. If you have a chance to go there, go there dude. You'd be crazy to pass it up. It will separate you from all the other SHU graduates.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Maybe I didn't state it correctly. I meant to imply something along the lines of Duke/Uva>>Vandy>Wake/UNC/W&M/Emory. Maybe I am slightly skewed by what their undergraduate reputations are.

Linsanity - Similar to your comment that Rutgers-Camden is substantially better than Rutgers-Newark...that is a huge leap. I have lived in NJ my whole life, I have two parents that have practiced there for 25+ years, one of which went to SHU (and currently teaches as an adjunct at RU-N) and one of which went to a more highly regarded school out of state. NJ is an insular market. Vanderbilt OBVIOUSLY has a better national name than Seton Hall...by a country mile. So do a host of other schools non T-14 law schools like Wake, WashU, BC etc. But the OP is talking about wanting to practice in New Jersey. Seton Hall isn't a place you have to apologize for going to if you are in New Jersey. Taking out 100k of debt to go to Vanderbilt to come back to New Jersey when they could get a degree for free at a school in-state (that despite popular perception on here places moderately well...despite it's absurdly high price tag) is not a CLEARCUT decision...especially if BigLaw isn't the goal. It's one that is open to debate.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:10 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:Maybe I didn't state it correctly. I meant to imply something along the lines of Duke/Uva>>Vandy>Wake/UNC/W&M/Emory. Maybe I am slightly skewed by what their undergraduate reputations are.

Linsanity - Similar to your comment that Rutgers-Camden is substantially better than Rutgers-Newark...that is a huge leap. I have lived in NJ my whole life, I have two parents that have practiced there for 25+ years, one of which went to SHU (and currently teaches as an adjunct at RU-N) and one of which went to a more highly regarded school out of state. NJ is an insular market. Vanderbilt OBVIOUSLY has a better national name than Seton Hall...by a country mile. So do a host of other schools non T-14 law schools like Wake, WashU, BC etc. But the OP is talking about wanting to practice in New Jersey. Seton Hall isn't a place you have to apologize for going to if you are in New Jersey. Taking out 100k of debt to go to Vanderbilt to come back to New Jersey when they could get a degree for free at a school in-state (that despite popular perception on here places moderately well...despite it's absurdly high price tag) is not a CLEARCUT decision...especially if BigLaw isn't the goal. It's one that is open to debate.
If the Op has ties to NJ, vandy top 1/3 will be likely considerable to seton hall top 10%. Also, vandy gives you a shot at other markets too. You woudn;'t have to appologize for seton hall, but you wouldnt get a job either in anything paying over 50k.

Its more like this-
UVA/Duke>Vandy>>Emory>Wake/WM/WL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”