UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sfreuden
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am

UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby sfreuden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:38 pm

I got into Columbia yesterday, which I'm very excited about. However, I now have a decision to make. Virginia offered me a full-tuition scholarship, and I have to give the first seat deposit 04/06. Columbia has not offered any merit scholarship, and I am not holding my breath for significant financial aid. I might not even get my Columbia financial aid packet back before the Virginia deadline.

I'm going straight through from undergrad, no undergraduate debt, and I think I would like to practice in NYC after graduation (though I can be flexible, if necessary).

What does everyone think? Is the extra 180K+ (tuition + COL difference) of debt worth it to go to Columbia over UVa? Are the job prospects that different?

Thanks. I appreciate any help.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Virginia, unless you are certain that you want to practice in NYC. If NYC is you target market, then contact Columbia admissions & ask for an estimate of your financial aid and/or scholarship award before deciding. With an LSAT score of 180 & a 3.7 GPA, Columbia should be willing to offer an aid assessment.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm

sfreuden wrote:I got into Columbia yesterday, which I'm very excited about. However, I now have a decision to make. Virginia offered me a full-tuition scholarship, and I have to give the first seat deposit 04/06. Columbia has not offered any merit scholarship, and I am not holding my breath for significant financial aid. I might not even get my Columbia financial aid packet back before the Virginia deadline.

I'm going straight through from undergrad, no undergraduate debt, and I think I would like to practice in NYC after graduation (though I can be flexible, if necessary).

What does everyone think? Is the extra 180K+ (tuition + COL difference) of debt worth it to go to Columbia over UVa? Are the job prospects that different?

Thanks. I appreciate any help.

You need to wait until you get all of your financial aid offers. If your profile numbers are accurate, you should see at least some money from CCN.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:46 pm

I would rush submitting your financial materials to Columbia and inform them of your 4/6 deadline. Hopefully they would be able to get you your aid package before then. I think this discussion should happen after that occurs. If Columbia gives you 15k then this is a different story.

Also, Columbia either way if you want NYC or DC biglaw.

sfreuden
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby sfreuden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the quick responses. I really appreciate it.

My parents are getting their tax information together for me, and I should be able to fill out the FAFSA and Need Access by next week. Once I submit the info I will probably send Columbia an e-mail detailing my situation and the need for a rough aid estimate by at least the end of March.

Also, does Columbia give merit grants after initial offers of acceptance? My stats are 3.71/180, and I was hoping for at least a small grant from them. Will they care if I try to leverage with the Virginia scholarship?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:57 pm

sfreuden wrote:Thanks for all the quick responses. I really appreciate it.

My parents are getting their tax information together for me, and I should be able to fill out the FAFSA and Need Access by next week. Once I submit the info I will probably send Columbia an e-mail detailing my situation and the need for a rough aid estimate by at least the end of March.

Also, does Columbia give merit grants after initial offers of acceptance? My stats are 3.71/180, and I was hoping for at least a small grant from them. Will they care if I try to leverage with the Virginia scholarship?

They usually give up to 15k/yr as non-Hamilton/Butler. Awards come out in March so you will have time to negotiate before UVA's deposit deadline. I would definitely leverage the UVA scholly but don't expect much.

The rational choice from a risk/reward standpoint is UVA. But I would probably pay 100k for the privilege of not living in Charlottesville and access to networking in NYC.

ETA: You are a strong contender for Harvard as well, though K-JD hurts you a little.
Last edited by Nelson on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Cavalier » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Graduating from any T14 school with no debt will open many more doors than graduating from Columbia with tons of debt.

sfreuden
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby sfreuden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Nelson wrote:They usually give up to 15k/yr as non-Hamilton/Butler. Awards come out in March so you will have time to negotiate before UVA's deposit deadline. I would definitely leverage the UVA scholly but don't expect much.

The rational choice from a risk/reward standpoint is UVA. But I would probably pay 100k for the privilege of not living in Charlottesville and access to networking in NYC.

ETA: You are a strong contender for Harvard as well, though K-JD hurts you a little.


Okay, thanks for the info. I'll keep my options open, but I'm not holding my breath. And yes, I agree that UVa is probably the rational choice - especially because the difference is likely closer to 200k than 100k.

Also, I was Held at Harvard in January, and I still haven't heard back from Yale (but absolutely no expectations there).

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Nelson wrote:
sfreuden wrote:I got into Columbia yesterday, which I'm very excited about. However, I now have a decision to make. Virginia offered me a full-tuition scholarship, and I have to give the first seat deposit 04/06. Columbia has not offered any merit scholarship, and I am not holding my breath for significant financial aid. I might not even get my Columbia financial aid packet back before the Virginia deadline.

I'm going straight through from undergrad, no undergraduate debt, and I think I would like to practice in NYC after graduation (though I can be flexible, if necessary).

What does everyone think? Is the extra 180K+ (tuition + COL difference) of debt worth it to go to Columbia over UVa? Are the job prospects that different?

Thanks. I appreciate any help.

You need to wait until you get all of your financial aid offers. If your profile numbers are accurate, you should see at least some money from CCN.


+1

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Curious1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Cavalier wrote:Graduating from any T14 school with no debt will open many more doors than graduating from Columbia with tons of debt.


I think you mean that graduating with no debt will make many pre-existing opportunities feasible, not create those opportunities.

To everyone else, is NYC inaccessible outside of HYS/Northeastern T14s? I wouldn't expect something like Boalt to place well in NYC, but I've always thought UVA sends lots of its graduates to NYC, at least partly because that market is so big.

sfreuden
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby sfreuden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Graduating from any T14 school with no debt will open many more doors than graduating from Columbia with tons of debt.


I think you mean that graduating with no debt will make many pre-existing opportunities feasible, not create those opportunities.

To everyone else, is NYC inaccessible outside of HYS/Northeastern T14s? I wouldn't expect something like Boalt to place well in NYC, but I've always thought UVA sends lots of its graduates to NYC, at least partly because that market is so big.


About 20% of 2011 UVa graduates with jobs at private firms went to NYC.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby justicefishy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm

I'd go with the full ride to UVA. No debt is great and means you can take any job you want post law school without having to worry. Columbia has slightly better choices but UVA places great in NYC and has great clerkship potential (and does well in PI too).

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby 005618502 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Dude UVA for free would be pretty damn sweet. Unless you get into HYS I would take UVA and run

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6045
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:46 pm

UVA.

See if you can negotiate with Columbia. If not, UVA.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby dissonance1848 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:53 pm

UVA full ride and no acceptances to HYS? Simply doesn't compute. Calling flame. Check out LSN, there are people with your numbers who are in.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm

UVA absolutely (as far as the thread title is concerned.) If you get good money from CLS - which seems unlikely because they appear to be pretty stingy with scholarships outside of Butlers/Hamiltons - then consider it, but I would take UVA in a heartbeat and never look back.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:UVA full ride and no acceptances to HYS? Simply doesn't compute. Calling flame. Check out LSN, there are people with your numbers who are in.

Many people get MVP full rides but no HYS acceptances.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:04 pm

I received 75K from CLS in 2009 with a 175, 3.8. So more might be possible for you. However, barring a full tuition scholly from CLS, UVA all the way.

User avatar
UtilityMonster
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby UtilityMonster » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 am

Columbia. It is just that much better. No, what I mean to say is, UVA is just that much worse.

lessthanjake
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 am

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby lessthanjake » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 am

I currently have a really similar issue. I got accepted by Columbia, and I assume they won't give me money (either merit or financial). I also got accepted to UVA with a 105k scholarship. Between that and in-state tuition, there's only 9k a year in tuition left. I notice most people are saying UVA in this thread. Does the fact that I didn't quite get a full ride scholarship change that? I essentially will pay 27k more than the OP.

Also, for those who think UVA + a lot of money > Columbia, I also have yet to hear from Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. I think an acceptance to Yale cannot be turned down, but would Harvard/Stanford be worth it over UVA with 105k (I expect to not get into any of HYS, but it is, of course, a possibility worth wondering about)? My initial instinct is yes those schools are worth it, but it becomes slightly difficult to justify when I think about it really rationally. The most likely outcome for someone coming from Harvard/Stanford is to get a 160k BigLaw job. The most likely outcome for someone coming from UVA is to get a 160k BigLaw job. If I am likely to get a similar job coming from UVA, am I not logically better off taking the money and being able to do BigLaw without any debt (ie. be able to save up a ton of money)?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Bronck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:09 pm

lessthanjake wrote:I currently have a really similar issue. I got accepted by Columbia, and I assume they won't give me money (either merit or financial). I also got accepted to UVA with a 105k scholarship. Between that and in-state tuition, there's only 9k a year in tuition left. I notice most people are saying UVA in this thread. Does the fact that I didn't quite get a full ride scholarship change that? I essentially will pay 27k more than the OP.

Also, for those who think UVA + a lot of money > Columbia, I also have yet to hear from Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. I think an acceptance to Yale cannot be turned down, but would Harvard/Stanford be worth it over UVA with 105k (I expect to not get into any of HYS, but it is, of course, a possibility worth wondering about)? My initial instinct is yes those schools are worth it, but it becomes slightly difficult to justify when I think about it really rationally. The most likely outcome for someone coming from Harvard/Stanford is to get a 160k BigLaw job. The most likely outcome for someone coming from UVA is to get a 160k BigLaw job. If I am likely to get a similar job coming from UVA, am I not logically better off taking the money and being able to do BigLaw without any debt (ie. be able to save up a ton of money)?


Yes, I would take YHS over 105k UVA in a heartbeat (especially because I'd likely be eligible for need aid). HS also open other doors, like clerkships, better placement into more prestigious firms, academia, etc. Moreover, I wouldn't feel very comfortable landing biglaw at median at UVA. From all the data, it looks like you'd have to do a bit of hustling, especially if you didn't have any meaningful prior work experience.

Plus, you wouldn't have to live in C-ville for 3 years.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:22 pm

UVa unless HYS.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby Rotor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Curious1 wrote: I wouldn't expect something like Boalt to place well in NYC


I'll tell this to all my friends who are working at V10 firms in NY. No we don't have the numbers of other schools there. Blame self-select to Calif. Blame self-select to public interest. Blame a smallish class size. But don't blame an inability for Boalt degree to travel. In some respects, I think that a being a Boaltie willing to go back east makes you stand out over the scads of closer situated T14 schools.

EdgarWinter
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby EdgarWinter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 pm

.
Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

handsonthewheel
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby handsonthewheel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Rotor wrote:
Curious1 wrote: I wouldn't expect something like Boalt to place well in NYC


I'll tell this to all my friends who are working at V10 firms in NY. No we don't have the numbers of other schools there. Blame self-select to Calif. Blame self-select to public interest. Blame a smallish class size. But don't blame an inability for Boalt degree to travel. In some respects, I think that a being a Boaltie willing to go back east makes you stand out over the scads of closer situated T14 schools.


It's not Boalt anymore, it's Berkeley Law.

Also, if you want to go east, don't go to Berkeley, just as if you want to be West don't go to Penn. In both situations you can probably get a job on either coast, depending on grades and interviews, but the chances are much higher if you attend a school in the area.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests