Syracuse for NYC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
swagu

Syracuse for NYC

Postby swagu » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:25 am

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to get placement in NYC from Syracuse. I don't need 1000 people trolling, and talking about re-takes, etc. I just want people who can help answer the question. Does Syracuse essentially mean youre stuck to jobs in central/upstate New York, is do people often end up getting jobs in NYC?

Thanks!

MrAnon

Re: Syracuse for NYC

Postby MrAnon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:41 am

Lots of people from around the country go to Syracuse I think because they perceive it as having a national reputation because of the sports teams so they end up going back in many directions to look for work. I think your odds of getting a job in NYC after syracuse are about the same as they are right now without law school, though I cannot quantify them. You'll be looking at smaller paying jobs obviously. Biglaw really cherry picks a few students up there. It probably reasonable to say the upstate job market is one of the weakest anywhere so I imagine by necessity people look elsewhere.

On a broader note, only 47% of grads reporting a salary...well, its your decision.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:50 am

Yes you will be stuck upstate. No, Syracuse grads don't often get jobs in NYC.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:51 pm

I would guess a handful of the top students would be competitive for NYC, but beyond that, no. New York, like California, is a tough state to practice in unless you've got the brains to go to the top law schools. On a side note, why not consider Rutgers-Newark? You'll have a much better chance of getting into NYC. The only downside, to some, is that you'll be working in NJ if you don't make it to NY.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”