UCI (full scholly) vs T14 (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
moneybagsphd

UCI (full scholly) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby moneybagsphd » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:01 pm

UCI's offer of a full scholarship (2.0 stip) is very very tempting and I'm trying to determine what trumps it.
EDIT: 90K @ UCLA.

[Redacted]
Other relevant details:
- COL: Have people to live with in Irvine, which might make it more affordable.
- Career Goals: If I go to UCI, I still want the possibility of biglaw. However, I feel like I'm making a commitment to that career by going massively in debt (commitmentphobe) at T14.
Last edited by moneybagsphd on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bartleby

Re: UCI (full scholly) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby bartleby » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:10 pm

depends on how certain you are about your career. i'd do UCI on full ride for sure. my friend at CCN found out he hated big law but still has to grind it out cause he's 300k in the hole.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:17 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:UCI's offer of a full scholarship (2.0 stip) is very very tempting and I'm trying to determine what trumps it.

Assuming HYS out. C is a distant dream, and CN is remotely possible. Mostly looking at MVPB. Also applied to Duke, NU, Cornell, Vandy, UCLA, USC, BU.

So far: "Special" preferred WL from GULC (quick turnaround). This app was sent out a later than the rest, and it was a very last second decision. Pretty much woke up one morning, logged onto LSAC, and 5 minutes later the app went out. No "why Georgetown." Not sure whether or not to send a LOCI because my SO doesn't want to live in DC (which is why I applied late).

Other relevant details:
- COL: Have people to live with in Irvine, which might make it more affordable.
- Career Goals: If I go to UCI, I still want the possibility of biglaw. However, I feel like I'm making a commitment to that career by going massively in debt (commitmentphobe) at T14.

I would consider CN over UCI if you want biglaw. If you don't want biglaw, I would check into their loan repayment programs. Same for the rest of the T14. If the T14 school has a good loan repayment program, you're not stuck with biglaw. I would also wait to see if you get any scholarship money for any of the schools you applied to.

The other important consideration is that I would think that UCI only places into biglaw in LA/SF area, and that's only if you're in the top 10-20% or so. It's great that you'll have a free ride, so it won't be as important for you to get into biglaw, but it's something to consider.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:24 pm

bartleby wrote:depends on how certain you are about your career. i'd do UCI on full ride for sure. my friend at CCN found out he hated big law but still has to grind it out cause he's 300k in the hole.

I second this sentiment. Better to have a smaller shot at biglaw than to be indentured to it.

If you are going to take on the debt, I'd do it at CN, but not necessarily MVPB. The worst-case outcome would be taking on the debt and then getting a job you're not happy with, so go big or go home . I made the choice to pay for a higher-ranked school rather than go free to a lower T14 and feel that the gamble was worth it in terms of how this affected my chances at OCI- some schools really do place better than others. Just my $0.02, good luck making your decision! Congrats on the scholly.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I would consider CN over UCI if you want biglaw. If you don't want biglaw, I would check into their loan repayment programs. Same for the rest of the T14. If the T14 school has a good loan repayment program, you're not stuck with biglaw. I would also wait to see if you get any scholarship money for any of the schools you applied to.

The other important consideration is that I would think that UCI only places into biglaw in LA/SF area, and that's only if you're in the top 10-20% or so. It's great that you'll have a free ride, so it won't be as important for you to get into biglaw, but it's something to consider.

This will be a huge factor in making a decision. I probably won't take advantage of LRAP unless I ended up clerking (not smart money to gamble on). I have some trouble drawing a hard line though.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:50 pm

bartleby wrote:depends on how certain you are about your career. i'd do UCI on full ride for sure. my friend at CCN found out he hated big law but still has to grind it out cause he's 300k in the hole.

This is why debt is terrifying.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:55 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:This will be a huge factor in making a decision. I probably won't take advantage of LRAP unless I ended up clerking (not smart money to gamble on). I have some trouble drawing a hard line though.

Not relying on LRAP is a good idea, but don't think that you can rely on it for clerking either. Most schools LRAPs don't cover clerkships unless you plan to go in to PI afterwards. I think Yale is the only one where clerking is covered no matter the position assumed post clerkship (not 100% on that though).

It's totally a personal decision as to whether you want to take the money or not. UCI is a really new school in an over-saturated market though, so I wouldn't go in with really high expectations. Their clerkship numbers will also have trouble standing the test of time.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:17 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, unless you plan on staying in California, you really should not go to UCI.
Currently, UCI is not ABA approved, which means that you cannot take the bar in any state other than California.
However, that is not a serious concern, it is highly likely that UCI will be ABA approved in 2014 (the earliest they will be able to get full accreditation). But, do you want to bet your future on this?

The more important concern is that biglaw is unlikely to hire from UCI. Firstly, UCI Law does not have any alumni, so you can't rely on the alumni network. Secondly, Biglaw has never hired from UCI Law, (obviously, as it's a new school). That means it's going to be very difficult to get into biglaw from UCI.

Outside of the T14, biglaw does hire from other schools, but it's already a lot harder - you've got to be in the top 10% if you're from schools in the top 50.
Biglaw does not hire from no-name schools.
Outside of California no one has ever heard of UCI, so not only will you need to prove that you're a good candidate, you'll also need to prove that UCI is a real law school.

I don't want to trash UCI. I seriously considered it. It is the most promising new law school in a long time. However, it is untested. UCI itself has a reasonable reputation in southern california, which might be enough for a job (though, probably not with biglaw), but outside the state, you can forget about finding anything.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:01 pm

dingbat wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, unless you plan on staying in California, you really should not go to UCI.
Currently, UCI is not ABA approved, which means that you cannot take the bar in any state other than California.
However, that is not a serious concern, it is highly likely that UCI will be ABA approved in 2014 (the earliest they will be able to get full accreditation). But, do you want to bet your future on this?

The more important concern is that biglaw is unlikely to hire from UCI. Firstly, UCI Law does not have any alumni, so you can't rely on the alumni network. Secondly, Biglaw has never hired from UCI Law, (obviously, as it's a new school). That means it's going to be very difficult to get into biglaw from UCI.

Outside of the T14, biglaw does hire from other schools, but it's already a lot harder - you've got to be in the top 10% if you're from schools in the top 50.
Outside of California no one has ever heard of UCI, so not only will you need to prove that you're a good candidate, you'll also need to prove that UCI is a real law school.

I don't want to trash UCI. I seriously considered it. It is the most promising new law school in a long time. However, it is untested. UCI itself has a reasonable reputation in southern california, which might be enough for a job (though, probably not with biglaw), but outside the state, you can forget about finding anything.

It seems to me that a certain faction of TLSers have voiced extreme skepticism over UCI Law's future. As a prospective UCI law student, who will presumably be forced to choose between UCI (full scholarship) and a T14 school (likely sticker or close to), I'll give my take on the matter.
-Provisional Accreditation: UCI's pending full-accreditation is about as close to certain as you get. There are always risks that come with attending a new law school, but for UCI at least, ABA approval isn't one of them.
-Future Ranking: Too much speculation about this as it is, but I think that naysayers claiming UCI will debut in the 40s or 50s are off-base. Tying into this argument is the claim that UCI only has regional recognition; people on the East Coat have never heard of it. UCI has been highly-publicized (multiple articles in the National Law Journal), and I suspect that this claim is greatly exaggerated. Even if they don't debut at the top, they'll climb up the rankings.
-Biglaw: Obviously in Southern California, UCLA & USC will continue to be the primary feeders into biglaw. But 200k at these schools for a shot at biglaw imo isn't worth it, especially with Stanford and Berkeley to the North. With some $$$, I would give serious consideration to UCLA & USC. Also, I tend to agree that it's best not to be indentured to biglaw.
-Advantages: I think there are some advantages to attending UCI Law that tend to get overlooked or marginalized on TLS. For one thing, UCI Law is young and determined to prove itself. Basically, you're going to get a lot more individual attention at UCI than at a firmly established elite law school. Another consideration is the extremely small class size, which (I would guess) makes it easier to distinguish yourself within the class (not just your section). Sorry if that sounds gunner-ish.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 pm

dingbat wrote:Outside of the T14, biglaw does hire from other schools, but it's already a lot harder - you've got to be in the top 10% if you're from schools in the top 50.

What? No.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:06 pm

It's rare that a quality school will give a full ride and a lower top 14 will give none. If youget a 50 percent scholly to cornell or even georgetown, id take it.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:23 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:It's rare that a quality school will give a full ride and a lower top 14 will give none. If youget a 50 percent scholly to cornell or even georgetown, id take it.

[Redacted]
Last edited by moneybagsphd on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

snailio

Postby snailio » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:48 pm

[quote="dingbat"]

The more important concern is that biglaw is unlikely to hire from UCI. Firstly, UCI Law does not have any alumni, so you can't rely on the alumni network. Secondly, Biglaw has never hired from UCI Law, (obviously, as it's a new school).

It would be nice if you didn't give false information, UCI has Already placed several students in Big Law and they start in the fall. In addition maybe you should check who has heard of UCI. The dean of this school has taken personal action to place these kids, try looking at their clerkships for this year.

P.S. appropriate Screen name, you should keep it, it suits you.
Last edited by snailio on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Dingbat, are you some sort of subtle troll? You say insanely stupid shit and you say it as if it is gospel truth.

Anyways, I actually lean towards UCI. CCN and the like are going to be 200k+ with interest. That just seems like an insane amount of money, and as someone else said, you basically are an indentured servant to biglaw when you have that kind of debt.

What about something in the middle?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Grizz wrote:
dingbat wrote:Outside of the T14, biglaw does hire from other schools, but it's already a lot harder - you've got to be in the top 10% if you're from schools in the top 50.

What? No.

I must correct myself, quality schools outside of the T14 place more like 25% at biglaw.
On that note, some students from UCI have interned outside of CA.

I apologize for the tone of my responses.
I have seriously considered UCI, but decided against it for geographic reasons. I think that if you want to be in California, it's a good option, but outside of CA, it's a very, very big risk.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:07 pm

dingbat wrote:I must correct myself,

No one takes you seriously, so no one cares.

I seriously hope you don't talk like this in real life. You sound like a goober.

snailio

Postby snailio » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dingbat wrote:I must correct myself,

No one takes you seriously, so no one cares.

I seriously hope you don't talk like this in real life. You sound like a goober.

+1

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:21 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:It's rare that a quality school will give a full ride and a lower top 14 will give none. If youget a 50 percent scholly to cornell or even georgetown, id take it.

"Special group within preferred waitlist" at GULC. To reiterate, my app didn't express any particular interest in GULC and it was a little late, otherwise my numbers are above median. A well-written LOCI might be enough to get me in. If $$$ is ruled out, I'm not sure It would be worth it. It's especially hard to write a LOCI with a dozen other apps pending.
If LSN is any indicator, I should get decent money at USC (between 75-90k).

I'd do usc for 75k personally over a full ride to uci. I can see the other argument, but to me the alumni network and reputation of usc are worth 75k as uci is still a wildcard. For what it's worth, id take uci at equal price over davis or hastings bec of location and expected rep once it's ranked.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 pm

dingbat wrote:I must correct myself, quality schools outside of the T14 place more like 25% at biglaw.

Even Vanderbilt was 40% NLJ250 + AIII for c/o 2010. If you add bigfed (which was hiring at the time), prestigious PI, and just firms of 100 people or more generally, it was probably at least 55% who got something objectively badass, at least. Cmon bro.
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Grizz wrote:
dingbat wrote:I must correct myself, quality schools outside of the T14 place more like 25% at biglaw.

Even Vanderbilt was 40% NLJ250 + AIII for c/o 2010. If you add bigfed (which was hiring at the time), prestigious PI, and just firms of 100 people or more generally, it was probably at 55%. Cmon bro.

Vandy, texas, usc and ucla are not tier 1s in the way the term is used. They're like top 14a.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Op id take uci for free over gt at sticker and im not soooo risk adverse but wl accepts get $ sometimes. Id sit back and relax for now.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:53 am

dingbat wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, unless you plan on staying in California, you really should not go to UCI.

UCI 2L here. Just want to correct some misinformation

1. Regarding the bar in other states, UCI has received provisional accreditation, which means you can sit for bars in other states, full accreditation is not needed. We are also eligible for government internships and programs that require attendance at an ABA accredited school. The risk is the tiny possibility we do not receive full accreditation, but that risk is so tiny I don't think it is worth much if any weight when factoring into a decision.

2. Regarding biglaw - First as of next year we will have an alumni network. A small one, but it will exist. I've also found UCI grads who went to other law schools and are now practicing law to be very helpful and open and they serve as an alumni network as well. Second, as already acknowledged, a fair number of 3Ls received offers in big law after their SAs last summer, and I assume most of the 2Ls with SAs will receive offers as well. We have students with offers outside CA as 3Ls, and we have 2Ls who will be SA'ing outside CA as well. And oddly enough, perhaps because my resume didn't show much to demonstrate So Cal ties, I received a number of interviews last year outside of CA (NY and DC were where I applied) and I accepted an offer in NYC last summer as a 1L. Practitioners I met had heard of our school - Dean Chemerinsky's name in particular, helps with that as I would get "that's the school with Erwin Chemerinsky" or something to that effect a fair amount.

For me money did play a role in my picking UCI over other schools, and as the class of 2013, there was even more risk. I do not regret my decision at all and am happy that I will graduate with significantly lower debt. Everyone has to make their own decisions, but I personally would choose a full ride at UCI over pretty much everything at sticker except HYS, although CNC would be tough to turn down, the cost of living in NYC in particular, in addition to the debt means I would probably take Irvine over those schools at sticker, but for CNC I would have to think about it carefully too (that wasn't a choice I had to make). BUT everyone has their own priorities and I could understand if you wanted to enter academia for example, picking any of the T10 at sticker over UCI.

With some money at a T14 it really comes down to personal priorities and preferences, and I would definitely visit the schools and talk to as many students as possible before making a decision.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:57 am

bdubs wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:This will be a huge factor in making a decision. I probably won't take advantage of LRAP unless I ended up clerking (not smart money to gamble on). I have some trouble drawing a hard line though.

Not relying on LRAP is a good idea, but don't think that you can rely on it for clerking either. Most schools LRAPs don't cover clerkships unless you plan to go in to PI afterwards. I think Yale is the only one where clerking is covered no matter the position assumed post clerkship (not 100% on that though).

It's totally a personal decision as to whether you want to take the money or not. UCI is a really new school in an over-saturated market though, so I wouldn't go in with really high expectations. Their clerkship numbers will also have trouble standing the test of time.

I believe that Michigan's LRAP is based on income without regard for type of legal employment

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:28 am

I say UCI but with a caveat. See if you can get some funding at the T14. If they cover at least 50-75% (depending on the school) with 2.0 stip, you should go T14. UCI is potentially a fantastic school, but it is still developing. Keep in mind that it doesn't have the journals or many other benefits that established law schools - especially those in the T14 - can offer.

On the other hand, its newness is one of the attractions for some people. You are literally mapping out your own legal education and assisting with the building of the school. Just think of the influence you might have as a student there, not only on the law school itself, but the state of California and the legal field as a whole. If you have the balls to design a unique clinic or course, and can make a good powerpoint proposal, Dean Chemerinsky and crew will listen. The classes are small, the city is beautiful, and UCI is a respected university worldwide; so there's much reason to be stoked.

If you can't get T14 money and you can get excited about being part of one of UCI's first classes, go to UCI. You won't have any problem getting a job as long as you do well.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:14 pm

uci2013 wrote:

UCI 2L here. Just want to correct some misinformation

1. Regarding the bar in other states, UCI has received provisional accreditation, which means you can sit for bars in other states, full accreditation is not needed. We are also eligible for government internships and programs that require attendance at an ABA accredited school. The risk is the tiny possibility we do not receive full accreditation, but that risk is so tiny I don't think it is worth much if any weight when factoring into a decision.

2. Regarding biglaw - First as of next year we will have an alumni network. A small one, but it will exist. I've also found UCI grads who went to other law schools and are now practicing law to be very helpful and open and they serve as an alumni network as well. Second, as already acknowledged, a fair number of 3Ls received offers in big law after their SAs last summer, and I assume most of the 2Ls with SAs will receive offers as well. We have students with offers outside CA as 3Ls, and we have 2Ls who will be SA'ing outside CA as well. And oddly enough, perhaps because my resume didn't show much to demonstrate So Cal ties, I received a number of interviews last year outside of CA (NY and DC were where I applied) and I accepted an offer in NYC last summer as a 1L. Practitioners I met had heard of our school - Dean Chemerinsky's name in particular, helps with that as I would get "that's the school with Erwin Chemerinsky" or something to that effect a fair amount.

For me money did play a role in my picking UCI over other schools, and as the class of 2013, there was even more risk. I do not regret my decision at all and am happy that I will graduate with significantly lower debt. Everyone has to make their own decisions, but I personally would choose a full ride at UCI over pretty much everything at sticker except HYS, although CNC would be tough to turn down, the cost of living in NYC in particular, in addition to the debt means I would probably take Irvine over those schools at sticker, but for CNC I would have to think about it carefully too (that wasn't a choice I had to make). BUT everyone has their own priorities and I could understand if you wanted to enter academia for example, picking any of the T10 at sticker over UCI.

With some money at a T14 it really comes down to personal priorities and preferences, and I would definitely visit the schools and talk to as many students as possible before making a decision.

I am glad to stand corrected. Thank you for your informative update.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”