HLS or SLS?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
abacus
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 am

HLS or SLS?

Postby abacus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:12 pm

.
Last edited by abacus on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Can't really go wrong here. I personally would choose Stanford but only because I'd rather be in California than Cambridge. You might consider which one would be cheaper but I don't know if that would really make much difference. Congrats on your acceptances, maybe you should've applied to Yale...

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:27 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Congrats on your acceptances, maybe you should've applied to Yale...

This. Also, I would personally choose Harvard because I am a lay preftige whore.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Flip a coin? The career prospects from SLS and HLS or more or less identical. It's not like a SLS degree can't get you back to the NE if you want to go there.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Not so sure a HLS will be more useful. If anything, because S's class is much smaller, your degree may mean a lot more to firms. A degree from SLS, like HLS, is useful everywhere. It's true that H's alumni base is bigger, but that could be a double edged sword - it could be (and is) so big that it wouldn't do much good, or as much good as a connection from a fellow alumn at Stanford.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if OP wants to enter politics at some point, wouldn't Harvard be a better choice?

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 pm

you said your parents want HLS; they paying anything?

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby MormonChristian » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:47 pm

abacus wrote:I have been extremely fortunate to get into both Harvard and Stanford (didn't apply to Yale). I would obviously be thrilled to attend either one, but am having some trouble deciding.

Thanks!



I wish I had your problems.

abacus
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby abacus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:53 pm

.
Last edited by abacus on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:55 pm

i have to admit id probably take hls just for the name drop, although clerkships and academia will be more available out of sls.

abacus
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby abacus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 pm

.
Last edited by abacus on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Stanford is good for a quality legal education led by a non-diluted, heavily-vetted, pedagogically skilled faculty, better job placement due to small class size, great location, and more social, laid back reputation. You will also have better access to law firms that are actually fun to work for, like VC firms such as Gunderson and Cooley, as well as a lot of emerging venture, IP, biotech, and capital market firms with laid-back culture and nice exit options. You also will have top pick in locals like San Diego and Orange County, which actually make life worth living.

Harvard is great if you feel that you will be at the top of your class, as exit options at the top of Harvard trump anywhere. However, the bottom options are worse than the bottom options at all other T5s besides Columbia due to the dilution of your degree because of the big class size. Harvard is also great if you value lay prestige over quality of life, higher likelihood of great career prospects given by Stanford, and high educational quality (due to H's uber-diluted faculty).

You have a tough choice.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:09 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Stanford is good for a quality legal education led by a non-diluted, heavily-vetted, pedagogically skilled faculty, better job placement due to small class size, great location, and more social, laid back reputation. You will also have better access to law firms that are actually fun to work for, like VC firms such as Gunderson and Cooley, as well as a lot of emerging venture, IP, biotech, and capital market firms with laid-back culture and nice exit options. You also will have top pick in locals like San Diego and Orange County, which actually make life worth living.

Harvard is great if you feel that you will be at the top of your class, as exit options at the top of Harvard trump anywhere. However, the bottom options are worse than the bottom options at all other T5s besides Columbia due to the dilution of your degree because of the big class size. Harvard is also great if you value lay prestige over quality of life, higher likelihood of great career prospects given by Stanford, and high educational quality (due to H's uber-diluted faculty).

You have a tough choice.


Lol

User avatar
hdivschool
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby hdivschool » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:19 pm

I had to make this decision. You've sketched out the major factors. I'd add a few:

Quarters vs. Semesters - You can take many more classes (12) at Stanford. Stanford clinics are also full-time because of the quarters. You also get four electives your 1L year.

Law Review - There are more slots per capita at Stanford.

Politics - I think the whole 'X school will make working in politics easier' is a bit overrated. But if you're conservative, my sense is that there are more conservative students and professors at Harvard. You've also got the Institute of Politics at HKS.

University - I don't know how easy it is (or how worthwhile it is) to cross-register at either school, but Harvard seems to have a greater variety of classes.

LRAP - You should compare Stanford's LRAP with Harvard's LIPP.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby snehpets » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:30 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Stanford is good for a quality legal education led by a non-diluted, heavily-vetted, pedagogically skilled faculty, better job placement due to small class size, great location, and more social, laid back reputation. You will also have better access to law firms that are actually fun to work for, like VC firms such as Gunderson and Cooley, as well as a lot of emerging venture, IP, biotech, and capital market firms with laid-back culture and nice exit options. You also will have top pick in locals like San Diego and Orange County, which actually make life worth living.

Harvard is great if you feel that you will be at the top of your class, as exit options at the top of Harvard trump anywhere. However, the bottom options are worse than the bottom options at all other T5s besides Columbia due to the dilution of your degree because of the big class size. Harvard is also great if you value lay prestige over quality of life, higher likelihood of great career prospects given by Stanford, and high educational quality (due to H's uber-diluted faculty).

You have a tough choice.

--ImageRemoved--

On-topic: i feel like you're good no matter what you pick. If you think you'll be happier at Stanford, go there.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby Verity » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Alright, alright, let's get down to business.

Generally, if you're in a bar, and you mention you go to Harvard, you'll get marginally more/better panty than if you say you go to Stanford. In Cali, you'll get better panty with a Stanford namedrop.

Otherwise, flip a coin.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Image

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby kwais » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Mort has now proven that he can troll for Chicago in the most subtle of ways and also proven that he can drop this "Harvard has a diluted faculty" thing in response to any question. Mad skills.

TLS: Hey Mort, what time is Jeopardy on tonight?

Mort: Umm, let me think, well Harvard has a diluted faculty, so 7pm.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby Na_Swatch » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Congrats on the acceptances OP and I really think you can't go wrong with your choice here. Addressing some previous statements, the bottom of the class at HLS (however "bottom" is defined using the H/P grading system) is definitely fine in terms of OCI in comparison to the rest of the T3 going off of the past years results. Furthermore, I've really enjoyed the people/ time here at HLS and its been pretty easy to avoid getting caught up in any "hyper-competitiveness" as long as you avoid the usual one gunner section that seems to emerge each year out of the seven.

All that being said, Stanford does sound amazing given the weather and I don't think the name of Harvard gives a real benefit over Stanford. My advice would be to weigh it on two main points:

1) Your preference for size of school... I really prefer Harvard's larger size for the variety of people/ diversity of students that offers. Others do find it too large.

2) Financial Aid... Given that you're in at both, submit all the forms and figure out what each school is offering you in terms of financial aid. Both schools give only need based, but both can be pretty generous, so figure out what the cost comparison would be for the two.

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby Shooter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:03 pm

I'd prob'ly go w/ Stanford due to smaller class size. Otherwise it's a wash. Can you tell us about your numbers/softs??

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby ahduth » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

WTF is a diluted faculty?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Go where you get more aid.

Also:

Tom Joad wrote:Image

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby chasgoose » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:57 pm

ahduth wrote:WTF is a diluted faculty?


When Arthur Miller trims his eyebrows
Last edited by chasgoose on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby chasgoose » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:00 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Stanford is good for a quality legal education led by a non-diluted, heavily-vetted, pedagogically skilled faculty, better job placement due to small class size, great location, and more social, laid back reputation. You will also have better access to law firms that are actually fun to work for, like VC firms such as Gunderson and Cooley, as well as a lot of emerging venture, IP, biotech, and capital market firms with laid-back culture and nice exit options. You also will have top pick in locals like San Diego and Orange County, which actually make life worth living.

Harvard is great if you feel that you will be at the top of your class, as exit options at the top of Harvard trump anywhere. However, the bottom options are worse than the bottom options at all other T5s besides Columbia due to the dilution of your degree because of the big class size. Harvard is also great if you value lay prestige over quality of life, higher likelihood of great career prospects given by Stanford, and high educational quality (due to H's uber-diluted faculty).

You have a tough choice.


Also, LOL at the bottom options at Chicago being better than the bottom options at Harvard...

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:09 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:However, the bottom options are worse than the bottom options at all other T5s besides Columbia due to the dilution of your degree because of the big class size.

lol wut




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests