HLS or SLS?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
abacus

HLS or SLS?

Postby abacus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Last edited by abacus on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joemoviebuff

Re: HLS or SLS?

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Can't really go wrong here. I personally would choose Stanford but only because I'd rather be in California than Cambridge. You might consider which one would be cheaper but I don't know if that would really make much difference. Congrats on your acceptances, maybe you should've applied to Yale...

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:27 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Congrats on your acceptances, maybe you should've applied to Yale...

This. Also, I would personally choose Harvard because I am a lay preftige whore.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Flip a coin? The career prospects from SLS and HLS or more or less identical. It's not like a SLS degree can't get you back to the NE if you want to go there.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Not so sure a HLS will be more useful. If anything, because S's class is much smaller, your degree may mean a lot more to firms. A degree from SLS, like HLS, is useful everywhere. It's true that H's alumni base is bigger, but that could be a double edged sword - it could be (and is) so big that it wouldn't do much good, or as much good as a connection from a fellow alumn at Stanford.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if OP wants to enter politics at some point, wouldn't Harvard be a better choice?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 pm

you said your parents want HLS; they paying anything?

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:47 pm

abacus wrote:I have been extremely fortunate to get into both Harvard and Stanford (didn't apply to Yale). I would obviously be thrilled to attend either one, but am having some trouble deciding.

Thanks!

I wish I had your problems.

abacus

Postby abacus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Last edited by abacus on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:55 pm

i have to admit id probably take hls just for the name drop, although clerkships and academia will be more available out of sls.

abacus

Postby abacus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Last edited by abacus on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Stanford is good for a quality legal education led by a non-diluted, heavily-vetted, pedagogically skilled faculty, better job placement due to small class size, great location, and more social, laid back reputation. You will also have better access to law firms that are actually fun to work for, like VC firms such as Gunderson and Cooley, as well as a lot of emerging venture, IP, biotech, and capital market firms with laid-back culture and nice exit options. You also will have top pick in locals like San Diego and Orange County, which actually make life worth living.

Harvard is great if you feel that you will be at the top of your class, as exit options at the top of Harvard trump anywhere. However, the bottom options are worse than the bottom options at all other T5s besides Columbia due to the dilution of your degree because of the big class size. Harvard is also great if you value lay prestige over quality of life, higher likelihood of great career prospects given by Stanford, and high educational quality (due to H's uber-diluted faculty).

You have a tough choice.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:09 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Stanford is good for a quality legal education led by a non-diluted, heavily-vetted, pedagogically skilled faculty, better job placement due to small class size, great location, and more social, laid back reputation. You will also have better access to law firms that are actually fun to work for, like VC firms such as Gunderson and Cooley, as well as a lot of emerging venture, IP, biotech, and capital market firms with laid-back culture and nice exit options. You also will have top pick in locals like San Diego and Orange County, which actually make life worth living.

Harvard is great if you feel that you will be at the top of your class, as exit options at the top of Harvard trump anywhere. However, the bottom options are worse than the bottom options at all other T5s besides Columbia due to the dilution of your degree because of the big class size. Harvard is also great if you value lay prestige over quality of life, higher likelihood of great career prospects given by Stanford, and high educational quality (due to H's uber-diluted faculty).

You have a tough choice.

Lol

hdivschool

Postby hdivschool » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:19 pm

I had to make this decision. You've sketched out the major factors. I'd add a few:

Quarters vs. Semesters - You can take many more classes (12) at Stanford. Stanford clinics are also full-time because of the quarters. You also get four electives your 1L year.

Law Review - There are more slots per capita at Stanford.

Politics - I think the whole 'X school will make working in politics easier' is a bit overrated. But if you're conservative, my sense is that there are more conservative students and professors at Harvard. You've also got the Institute of Politics at HKS.

University - I don't know how easy it is (or how worthwhile it is) to cross-register at either school, but Harvard seems to have a greater variety of classes.

LRAP - You should compare Stanford's LRAP with Harvard's LIPP.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:30 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Stanford is good for a quality legal education led by a non-diluted, heavily-vetted, pedagogically skilled faculty, better job placement due to small class size, great location, and more social, laid back reputation. You will also have better access to law firms that are actually fun to work for, like VC firms such as Gunderson and Cooley, as well as a lot of emerging venture, IP, biotech, and capital market firms with laid-back culture and nice exit options. You also will have top pick in locals like San Diego and Orange County, which actually make life worth living.

You have a tough choice.

--ImageRemoved--

On-topic: i feel like you're good no matter what you pick. If you think you'll be happier at Stanford, go there.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Alright, alright, let's get down to business.

Generally, if you're in a bar, and you mention you go to Harvard, you'll get marginally more/better panty than if you say you go to Stanford. In Cali, you'll get better panty with a Stanford namedrop.

Otherwise, flip a coin.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Mort has now proven that he can troll for Chicago in the most subtle of ways and also proven that he can drop this "Harvard has a diluted faculty" thing in response to any question. Mad skills.

TLS: Hey Mort, what time is Jeopardy on tonight?

Mort: Umm, let me think, well Harvard has a diluted faculty, so 7pm.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Congrats on the acceptances OP and I really think you can't go wrong with your choice here. Addressing some previous statements, the bottom of the class at HLS (however "bottom" is defined using the H/P grading system) is definitely fine in terms of OCI in comparison to the rest of the T3 going off of the past years results. Furthermore, I've really enjoyed the people/ time here at HLS and its been pretty easy to avoid getting caught up in any "hyper-competitiveness" as long as you avoid the usual one gunner section that seems to emerge each year out of the seven.

All that being said, Stanford does sound amazing given the weather and I don't think the name of Harvard gives a real benefit over Stanford. My advice would be to weigh it on two main points:

1) Your preference for size of school... I really prefer Harvard's larger size for the variety of people/ diversity of students that offers. Others do find it too large.

2) Financial Aid... Given that you're in at both, submit all the forms and figure out what each school is offering you in terms of financial aid. Both schools give only need based, but both can be pretty generous, so figure out what the cost comparison would be for the two.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:03 pm

I'd prob'ly go w/ Stanford due to smaller class size. Otherwise it's a wash. Can you tell us about your numbers/softs??

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

WTF is a diluted faculty?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Go where you get more aid.

Also:

Tom Joad wrote:Image

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:57 pm

ahduth wrote:WTF is a diluted faculty?

When Arthur Miller trims his eyebrows
Last edited by chasgoose on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:00 pm

You have a tough choice.

Also, LOL at the bottom options at Chicago being better than the bottom options at Harvard...

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:09 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:However, the bottom options are worse than the bottom options at all other T5s besides Columbia due to the dilution of your degree because of the big class size.

lol wut

Return to “Choosing a Law School”