FSU vs UF vs W & L vs Wake vs Iowa vs WVU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

W & L: 25k/year scholarship
55%
FSU: Probably instate sticker to 3-4k scholarship
9%
UF: Probably instate sticker
5%
Wake: 12k scholarship
9%
Iowa: Unknown $ offer atm
5%
WVU: Full ride
18%

Total votes: 22

Ant1her0

New

FSU vs UF vs W & L vs Wake vs Iowa vs WVU

Post by Ant1her0 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Pertinent information:

I am a FL resident but my dad was my biggest asset in terms of connections and he now splits his time between WV/FL/VA/Carolinas. I have people close to each of these schools. I don't have any preference as to where I live and I will have the time to put in long hours. No one relies on me for money. I am currently placing these schools as follows:

1a. W & L
b. Wake Forest

2a. UF
b. FSU
c. Iowa

3. WVU

After the scholarship W and L is additionally my cheapest option. The stip requires me to reach the 30th percentile (aka be in the top 70% of my class). Fairly reasonable.

W and L vs Wake is going to be the tough decision for me, but I want to see what fellow TLS'ers have to say. I've also been accepted to Iowa but I don't have scholarship info for them yet.

Thank you very much for your time and I apologize for the long title and the formatting, lol.

Grizz

Diamond

Re: FSU vs UF vs W & L vs Wake vs Iowa vs WVU

Post by Grizz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Where do you want to work

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:19 pm

I would avoid Florida schools just because the legal market is in the shitter and not showing any signs of cropping up.

Would you rather work in NC or VA? If you don't care, take the cheaper school. I think both have decently strong home markets. Or is Charlotte doing a lot better than Richmond?

Ant1her0

New

Post by Ant1her0 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:34 pm

I would be open to working anywhere. I have lived in Florida for the majority of my life but I can't say I'm in love with it. I could leave this state and not miss it.

My town is fairly slow and quiet so the small town southern feel is something I'm accustomed to. I don't feel out of place in bigger cities, though. Iowa is the one place that I'd feel sort of naked in because my ties there are the weakest.

Debt management and prospects are my chief concerns. Virginia or North Carolina would be fine with me. I've visited family in both places and I sure do prefer the weather over Florida. It's another 80 degree Christmas over here.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Ant1her0 wrote:I would be open to working anywhere. I have lived in Florida for the majority of my life but I can't say I'm in love with it. I could leave this state and not miss it.

My town is fairly slow and quiet so the small town southern feel is something I'm accustomed to. I don't feel out of place in bigger cities, though. Iowa is the one place that I'd feel sort of naked in because my ties there are the weakest.

Debt management and prospects are my chief concerns. Virginia or North Carolina would be fine with me. I've visited family in both places and I sure do prefer the weather over Florida. It's another 80 degree Christmas over here.
This is bad how lol?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:42 pm

I voted W and L but the real question to answer is where do you want to work?

Ant1her0

New

Post by Ant1her0 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:46 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Ant1her0 wrote:I would be open to working anywhere. I have lived in Florida for the majority of my life but I can't say I'm in love with it. I could leave this state and not miss it.

This is bad how lol?
I've lived here for most of my life and I don't even remember the last time I've seen snow in person. I'm kind of weird in the sense that I love the rain and I love the cold.

To address the most recent poster: I would be pretty comfortable living anywhere. I would say that out of all these options Iowa would be the least comfortable just because I don't have the "ins" there that I have in the southeast. Nice vonnegut reference by the way.

I'm 100% ok working in either VA or NC.

You guys are fast...I love this forum.

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:06 pm

In that case i would follow the money; but its still early and you can negotiate offers to an extent. Do a search and you will find good info about how to do that.

Ant1her0

New

Post by Ant1her0 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:07 pm

soitgoes9 wrote:In that case i would follow the money; but its still early and you can negotiate offers to an extent. Do a search and you will find good info about how to do that.
Yeah, I read that article. It was very useful.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”