MSU Full Ride or University of Michigan (Sticker Price)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aladdinismyprince

MSU Full Ride or University of Michigan (Sticker Price)

Postby aladdinismyprince » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:53 am

Last edited by aladdinismyprince on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: MSU Full Ride or University of Michigan (Sticker Price)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:59 am

First of all, there's no way to predict where you'd end up ranked at either school. You absolutely cannot assume that you'd finish lower at a higher-ranked school and vice versa.

Employment prospects from MSU aren't that great to begin with, and trying to get a job out of state with a JD from MSU would be VERY hard.
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:07 am

Michigan unless you have absolutely no interest in doing biglaw or going out of state.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:10 am

Tough call.

Employment prospects are better at UofM currently, but MSU is definitely on the rise. The disparity between the two is likely to continue to decrease. Over time, you might be glad you saved the money and went to MSU instead of UofM. Michigan as a state is hurting pretty badly, though, and if you want to look for employment elsewhere you are probably slightly better off right now with the UofM degree. Did you get into any other schools? If you got into Boalt or Penn or UVA, then you should go there for sure...

Good luck with this difficult decision.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:16 am

crit_racer wrote:Tough call.

Employment prospects are better at UofM currently, but MSU is definitely on the rise. The disparity between the two is likely to continue to decrease. Over time, you might be glad you saved the money and went to MSU instead of UofM. Michigan as a state is hurting pretty badly, though, and if you want to look for employment elsewhere you are probably slightly better off right now with the UofM degree. Did you get into any other schools? If you got into Boalt or Penn or UVA, then you should go there for sure...

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:21 am

This is beyond stupid.

Michigan is right there with UVA Penn or Boalt.

Stop giving stupid advice.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:28 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Telling someone that Michigan's a gamble while in the same breath advising that they jump headfirst into Boalt of all places is possibly the lulziest thing I've ever seen on this site (non-trolling division, of course).

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:02 am

This should not be a serious debate. If you hope to practice somewhere other than Michigan (as you state in OP), and if you hope to attain biglaw (as you state in OP), University of Michigan is the only credited response.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:55 am

I know everyone's already ripped this guy, and I'm not sure if he's serious, but please OP, don't listen to this. I think someone in another thread put it well; Detroit and the state of Michigan as a whole are in terrible shape, but they've also done most of the "damage" that they likely will to UofM. Everyone knows Detroit fucking sucks right now, job prospects are dismal, etc., but it's been like that for nearly a decade and UofM has managed to adapt and still thrive.

Plus OP, they haven't finished giving out aid this year, so it's not a guarantee you got nothing. Finall, you seem like a likable guy, so I'd hate to see you suffer from a lack of confidence. You got into Mich man, an elite law school. You have the acumen and drive to do well and compete, it's not an opinion of mine, it's a fact recognized by Mich and other schools. Stop predicting your failure and start seeing success. I know it sounds like some new age shit, but I see no reason to picture failure before you've even got in.

But UofM all the way unless you're willing to risk having to stay in Michigan with those dismal prospects, don't want big law, have strong ties, unshakeable confidence and work ethic (no offense meant but that seems presently lacking) and a host of other traits that are incredibly unlikely to be found in one person. Forgive typos, iOS device.

JustE

Postby JustE » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:16 am

aladdinismyprince wrote:I have no idea where I want to practice, but I probably want to leave Michigan. I want to do biglaw

I want to leave Michigan = UofM

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:34 am

Are these your only two options? If so, why didn't you apply more broadly?

Skater

Postby Skater » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:46 am

I wouldn't count on MSU continuing it's current rapid rise. obviously it has benefited from the affiliation with a university, but to move up more will be more difficult. Michigan has a long history of being one of the top law schools in the country, as well as having many top ranked grad programs. Michigan Law is not dependent on the state for revenue or for it's student base. definitely Michigan, not even close.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:49 am

johansantana21 wrote:Michigan unless you have absolutely no interest in doing biglaw or going out of state.

THIS

If it was me i may do msu but im not big law or bust.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:29 am

soitgoes9 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Michigan unless you have absolutely no interest in doing biglaw or going out of state.

THIS

If it was me i may do msu but im not big law or bust.

You rang?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:37 am

Cough up the cash for Michigan.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:50 pm

These schools aren't even anywhere near close that this should be a consideration. Definitely Michigan even at full freight no matter what your career plans are. Michigan's new LRAP covers ANY legal job where you make less than $80k, so it's even worth it for non-BigLaw.

This should not even be a serious decision -- MSU is barely a TT and still competes with Wayne for the scraps of the Michigan market (which barely exist). Go to Michigan and don't look back.

aladdinismyprince

Postby aladdinismyprince » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Last edited by aladdinismyprince on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:22 pm

aladdinismyprince wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice!!!

I am really leaning toward Michigan, but we'll have to wait.

I have also applied to Penn and Duke, but it's early in the decision cycle, so I have not heard back yet.
(I also agree with everyone disagreeing with @crit_racer...Penn and Boalt are at the same level as Michigan. Michigan might even be more nationally recognizable than these schools since there is no major market nearby).

My other options may be significant scholarships at higher ranked schools than MSU in better markets (such as George Mason, Kent College (Chicago), Loyola, etc...)

Basically, this question is should I go to Michigan (T14) over a full ride at any school outside of the T14 (schools probably 30 or below in the rankings)?

YES. All of the other school you listed in this range aren't any better than MSU. Your chances of even getting a LEGAL JOB from those schools is low to begin with. So even for 100% free they are not worth it at all since you have much better options.

See if you get into Penn and Duke and then pick the cheapest T13.
Last edited by keg411 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:24 pm

If you have a chance to date a hot girl or an ugly girl with a rich dad. That's a tough call. But in your case, the hot girl has the rich dad. You just have to pay $150k to date her.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:25 pm

kublaikahn wrote:If you have a chance to date a hot girl or an ugly girl with a rich dad. That's a tough call. But in your case, the hot girl has the rich dad. You just have to pay $150k to date her.

What is this I don't even.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:29 pm

Michigan.

/thread.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Enjoy the T-14, dude. And then probably getting Chicago BigLaw over anyone not from University of Chicago or Northwestern.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Gail wrote:Enjoy the T-14, dude. And then probably getting Chicago BigLaw over anyone not from University of Chicago or Northwestern.

Yale, Harvard, Stanford...

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:44 pm

kublaikahn wrote:If you have a chance to date a hot girl or an ugly girl with a rich dad. That's a tough call. But in your case, the hot girl has the rich dad. You just have to pay $150k to date her.

Now you are talking my language.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Michigan and it's not even close. Pay the deposit. You can thank me by buying me a beer next fall.

But seriously, if you get into Penn, that's the only real time for a decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”