Northwestern ED Application Pool Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aaramil

New

Northwestern ED Application Pool

Post by aaramil » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:17 am

Now that Northwestern is providing a 50K/year merit scholarship to all students admitted through ED, what is the general consensus among TLSers regarding competitive ED LSAT/GPA scores? I know a 170+ LSAT and 2+ years w/e are competitive for regular decisions, but I expect ED to be much higher now.

vulpixie

Bronze

Re: Northwestern ED Application Pool

Post by vulpixie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Also curious about this. How many spots does NW usually fill with ED applicants?

Wart

Bronze

Post by Wart » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Any post is going to be pure conjecture, since this is brand new. With that said, I think it will be little bit above the norms you stated. However, I don't think it will be that much because people with numbers above won't want to do ED because that can easily get money from MVP and have a shot at HYSCCN.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Wart wrote:Any post is going to be pure conjecture, since this is brand new. With that said, I think it will be little bit above the norms you stated. However, I don't think it will be that much because people with numbers above won't want to do ED because that can easily get money from MVP and have a shot at HYSCCN.
Hopefully

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:15 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Wart wrote:Any post is going to be pure conjecture, since this is brand new. With that said, I think it will be little bit above the norms you stated. However, I don't think it will be that much because people with numbers above won't want to do ED because that can easily get money from MVP and have a shot at HYSCCN.
Hopefully
Yeah, hopefully. My guess though is they're targeting people who can get decent money at MVP, even people who might choose T6. I bet there are people who would take full ride at NU over sticker at Chicago (I'm looking at you Tiago) and a lot of people who would take full-ride at NU over half at MVP, especially if they're interested in Chicago biglaw.

FWIW, Johann juxtaposed that NU will still be targeting splitters even with the ED changes. Key word there is juxtaposed, however, so I wouldn't count on ED being splitter-friendly, but who knows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Why did he have to imply that they might take splitters ED?!?!?!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 am

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Hopefully
Yeah, hopefully. My guess though is they're targeting people who can get decent money at MVP, even people who might choose T6. I bet there are people who would take full ride at NU over sticker at Chicago (I'm looking at you Tiago) and a lot of people who would take full-ride at NU over half at MVP, especially if they're interested in Chicago biglaw.

FWIW, Johann juxtaposed that NU will still be targeting splitters even with the ED changes. Key word there is juxtaposed, however, so I wouldn't count on ED being splitter-friendly, but who knows.
Yes to the bolded. I would never have dreamed of applying ED to NU but this new scholarship changed my mind. I think if Chicago is their target city, many people who would have otherwise chosen money at MVP or even sticker at Chicago will be EDing.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 am

Just had my NU interview. They are actually not really advertising the new scholarships for ED because they want the people that would have chosen the school anyway to be the ones going after them. So the numbers aren't expected to change drastically, though that may just be something they tell us to keep our interest high.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Just had my NU interview. They are actually not really advertising the new scholarships for ED because they want the people that would have chosen the school anyway to be the ones going after them. So the numbers aren't expected to change drastically, though that may just be something they tell us to keep our interest high.
That seems to defeat the purpose...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:57 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Just had my NU interview. They are actually not really advertising the new scholarships for ED because they want the people that would have chosen the school anyway to be the ones going after them. So the numbers aren't expected to change drastically, though that may just be something they tell us to keep our interest high.
+1. My interviewer didn't mention. I would not have even known had I not seen it on TLS. I would have actually considered ED had I not already submitted my RD application.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 am

Kimberly wrote:
+1. My interviewer didn't mention. I would not have even known had I not seen it on TLS. I would have actually considered ED had I not already submitted my RD application.
You might still be able to change it if you call and ask nicely, right? Maybe talk up some reason why you are changing your mind. (Other than the scholarship of course.)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:08 am

Samara wrote:
That seems to defeat the purpose...
Yeah, if the purpose is to attract high numbers then this would in a way defeat it. But if it's to get the people who are most interested in the school then it would be better. Hopefully it's the latter, because if ED became as tough as GW's then I'd be screwed

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:08 am

Well hopefully they'll just give them to all of us.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:09 am

basilseal wrote:Well hopefully they'll just give them to all of us.
I'd be cool with that knowing that between you and I, you'd get in ED even if my LSAT turned out to be a 180

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Out of curiosity, how many interviewers mentioned the scholarship?
Perhaps it was only the on-campus interviewers who did?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:41 pm

elibrarian wrote:Out of curiosity, how many interviewers mentioned the scholarship?
Perhaps it was only the on-campus interviewers who did?
the way mine went, it seemed that they mention it when people note on the interview sheet that they are interested in ED. I mentioned it as part of my answer to why NU, however

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:42 pm

No one mentioned it in my interview, but I specifically asked about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:43 pm

freestallion wrote:No one mentioned it in my interview, but I specifically asked about it.
I think this is what they are looking for.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:00 pm

I didn't mention it, my interviewer strongly suggested it. Though I hadn't made up my mind at that point to ED. Hope thats a good sign.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:52 pm

This is my first time hearing of this... might have tossed an ED that way if I had known.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 pm

My guess is at/above LSAT median combined with at/above GPA median will make you a strong contender. Slightly below median GPA (but substantially above the 25th) combined with LSAT above 75th will probably put you in the running too.

Having a GPA above the 75th and an LSAT at median will probably be the people most likely to apply since a 3.9/170 seems to be a rarity at HYS and is not in for substantial money at most of CCN.

All speculative, but it plays into who they are hoping to attract. Also, check out the results of these scholarships last year. They weren't very successful at converting these people when they had options.

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... 00&type=jd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:09 pm

freestallion wrote:No one mentioned it in my interview, but I specifically asked about it.
My interviewer brought it up when I mentioned following Johann on Twitter & G+.

She also hypothesized that they didn't advertise it because they wanted people who were already looking into NU to apply, so they'd know that everyone applying ED really wanted the school, not just the money...or something. She said that was just a personal guess and to take it with a grain of salt, though.

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:41 pm

bdubs wrote:My guess is at/above LSAT median combined with at/above GPA median will make you a strong contender. Slightly below median GPA (but substantially above the 25th) combined with LSAT above 75th will probably put you in the running too.

Having a GPA above the 75th and an LSAT at median will probably be the people most likely to apply since a 3.9/170 seems to be a rarity at HYS and is not in for substantial money at most of CCN.

All speculative, but it plays into who they are hoping to attract. Also, check out the results of these scholarships last year. They weren't very successful at converting these people when they had options.

Wow that LSN is crazy.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:50 pm

barneytrouble wrote:
bdubs wrote:My guess is at/above LSAT median combined with at/above GPA median will make you a strong contender. Slightly below median GPA (but substantially above the 25th) combined with LSAT above 75th will probably put you in the running too.

Wow that LSN is crazy.
It really is. But look back the last two cycles and you'll see a very different picture.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 am

thelawyler wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:

Wow that LSN is crazy.
It really is. But look back the last two cycles and you'll see a very different picture.
The 09-10 cycle was much more competitive than the 10-11 cycle. I think your cycles will look closer to 10-11 than 09-10.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”