Specialty ranking vs Overall ranking in International Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tronredo

Specialty ranking vs Overall ranking in International Law

Postby tronredo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:59 am

Would you rather study international law at Georgetown U law school (#3 International law rankings, #14 overall) or Michigan law school (#9 intl law, #6 overall)

bubba

Re: Specialty ranking vs Overall ranking in International Law

Postby bubba » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:06 am

-
Last edited by bubba on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:28 am

Oh good. Another "international lawyer."

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:33 am

Use the search function. In fact, I saved you the trouble. The correct answer was the first line of the first search result:

"specialty rankings are completely useless"

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:43 am

This thread has potential

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:55 am

tronredo wrote:Would you rather study international law at Georgetown U law school (#3 International law rankings, #14 overall) or Michigan law school (#9 intl law, #6 overall)

I am really happy to hear that you are interested in becoming an international lawyer. It is a very exciting and fast-growing fields that, for some reason, few people are interested in. They do so much good, and the world could really use more international lawyers, so I'm glad you're answering the call of duty!

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Seriously, though. What do people find so fascinating about the concept of international law? Is there some sort of perceived prestige associated with the term? Do people think it's highly correlated with international travel? I never understood this.

Also, obviously go to Georgetown. It has way more lay prestige internationally.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Shooter wrote:Seriously, though. What do people find so fascinating about the concept of international law? Is there some sort of perceived prestige associated with the term? Do people think it's highly correlated with international travel? I never understood this.

Also, obviously go to Georgetown. It has way more lay prestige internationally.

Well, to be honest, there's nothing really fascinating in BigLaw too, but most students want it just to repay loans.

Take out the money and most students would shoot for other positions...

I guess students have this misconception that International Law = Fix wars between countries or judge war criminals...
But only a small percentage of the Lawyers worldwide have a "decent shot" for this kind of jobs, and specialty rankings won't make you a better applicant.

OP, go to Georgetown, it's a very good Law School and still has a name in and outside of U.S., but do not ever look at Specialty Rankings again, it's bologna.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Between Georgetown and Michigan, one should almost always go to Michigan, unless one wants to do international law, in which case one should get real and not attend law school.

pichu

Postby pichu » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:33 pm

As far as speciality programs go, would it make sense to choose S over Y or H for IP?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:39 pm

pichu wrote:As far as speciality programs go, would it make sense to choose S over Y or H for IP?

That actually does make sense. But, it has a lot to do with proximity to Silicon Valley, not necessarily specialty rankings (I have no idea what specialty rankings for IP look like).

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Shooter wrote:Also, obviously go to Georgetown. It has way more lay prestige internationally.

--ImageRemoved--

soj

Postby soj » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:16 pm

pichu wrote:As far as speciality programs go, would it make sense to choose S over Y or H for IP?

IP is a common reason some people choose S over YH. They're peer schools, so no decision would be a wrong one when choosing among them.

tronredo

Postby tronredo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Teoeo wrote:This thread has potential

Why do most people on TLS have a negative bias towards international law? Do you all realize that we live in an era of globalization where the world is bonded in a close interwoven web? From politics to culture, decisions taken my people, business and government in other countries affect people 14000 miles away. Greed on wall street and the fall of Lehman brothers almost sent the WHOLE WORLD into a financial meltdown, a protest in Egypt has a lot of repercussions in almost evry country.

International law will be a prominent field in the years to come as many countries are giving up their national sovereignty to globalization.
Last edited by tronredo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:15 pm

tronredo wrote:Why do most people on TLS have a negative bias towards international law? Do you all realize that we live in an era of globalization where the world is bonded in a close interwoven web? From politics to culture, decisions taken my people, business and government in other countries affect people 14000 miles away. Greed on wall street and the fall of Lehman brothers almost sent the WHOLE WORLD into a financial meltdown, a protest in Egypt has a lot of repercussions in almost evry country.

International law is will be a prominent field in the years to come as many countries are yielding their national sovereignty to the wind of globalization.

no but seriously, how's all of that supposed to affect the field of international law?

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:20 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Shooter wrote:Also, obviously go to Georgetown. It has way more lay prestige internationally.

--ImageRemoved--[/quote

:D

tronredo

Postby tronredo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:22 pm

soj wrote:
tronredo wrote:Why do most people on TLS have a negative bias towards international law? Do you all realize that we live in an era of globalization where the world is bonded in a close interwoven web? From politics to culture, decisions taken my people, business and government in other countries affect people 14000 miles away. Greed on wall street and the fall of Lehman brothers almost sent the WHOLE WORLD into a financial meltdown, a protest in Egypt has a lot of repercussions in almost evry country.

International law is will be a prominent field in the years to come as many countries are yielding their national sovereignty to the wind of globalization.

no but seriously, how's all of that supposed to affect the field of international law?

You're so smart you couldn't figure it out.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Does anyone have the bird law rankings? I am definitely looking for a school ranked high in bird law litigation.

WhoIsDonDraper

Postby WhoIsDonDraper » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:24 pm

tronredo wrote: yielding their national sovereignty to the wind of globalization.

Yield to the wind? What does that even mean?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:25 pm

tronredo wrote: Why do most people on TLS have a negative bias towards international law? Do you all realize that we live in an era of globalization where the world is bonded in a close interwoven web? From politics to culture, decisions taken my people, business and government in other countries affect people 14000 miles away. Greed on wall street and the fall of Lehman brothers almost sent the WHOLE WORLD into a financial meltdown, a protest in Egypt has a lot of repercussions in almost evry country.

Hi,
actually each person is free for doing job. But in case of ladies , U have to check for surrounding nature .Bcoz ladies are not safe in every where..

soj

Postby soj » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:27 pm

tronredo wrote:
soj wrote:no but seriously, how's all of that supposed to affect the field of international law?

You're so smart you couldn't figure it out.

You're actually going to start this passive-aggressive crap with me? :roll:

I think I asked a legitimate question. No one denies globalization is happening, but how will that affect international law? What kind of international law are you talking about, anyway?

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:28 pm

tronredo wrote:Would you rather study international law at Georgetown U law school (#3 International law rankings, #14 overall) or Michigan law school (#9 intl law, #6 overall)

What do you think international law is?

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Can OP, or anyone who says they are interested in international law, post what they actually anticipate that job will entail?

I mean are we talking about international transactional work or do people think that they will be trying war crimes cases at the Hague? I would think the former is a lot more achievable than the latter.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:37 pm

shoeshine wrote:Does anyone have the bird law rankings? I am definitely looking for a school ranked high in bird law litigation.

Dude, although relevant this is kinda an old joke already.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:38 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:Can OP, or anyone who says they are interested in international law, post what they actually anticipate that job will entail?

I mean are we talking about international transactional work or do people think that they will be trying war crimes cases at the Hague? I would think the former is a lot more achievable than the latter.

Mostly, they imagine travelling around the world doing important things. Saving the world, convicting Foday Sankoh, shutting down Coca-Cola in Guatemala for paying below the minimum wage, making the US accountable to the UN, Amnesty International....

or models and bottles from Paris to Cairo, Magic circle, inter alia...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”