New Mexican Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeautifulSW

Silver

Re: New Mexican Law

Post by BeautifulSW » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Hm. I hadn't thought of it that way but is Arizona really known for its fish tacos? Well, I'm sure you agree that it's all very, very good.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:57 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Hm. I hadn't thought of it that way but is Arizona really known for its fish tacos? Well, I'm sure you agree that it's all very, very good.
Well, no. That is more coastal Sonora. The non-seafood dishes, however, did originate on both sides of the border. Think about it this way, in no other part of Mexico are flour tortillas a staple, that’s our (unhealthy and delicious) American influence. And yes, Southwestern food of all sorts is scrumptous - I only wish I could get it back east :cry: !

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Yes, by heavens, that's TRUE! Flour tortillas ARE much less healthy than corn though we eat a lot of them here in N.Mex. as well. Well, I don't, anymore. Health reasons. Fat and salt. I eat the Aztec diet; corn, beans, squash, and chile. No human hearts, though. They don't often show up in the supermarkets...at least, not fresh.

So finish up your degree already and come back! You'll NEVER be happy in the East; we keep our glories secret so as to keep all of THEM from crowding US out!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Yes, by heavens, that's TRUE! Flour tortillas ARE much less healthy than corn though we eat a lot of them here in N.Mex. as well. Well, I don't, anymore. Health reasons. Fat and salt. I eat the Aztec diet; corn, beans, squash, and chile. No human hearts, though. They don't often show up in the supermarkets...at least, not fresh.

So finish up your degree already and come back! You'll NEVER be happy in the East; we keep our glories secret so as to keep all of THEM from crowding US out!
Corn is actually really bad for you unless you get the organic non-hybrid kind (blues and reds and such aren't hybridized yet I don't think). They upped the sugar content significantly.

Sorry.

Also I don't see why victorious lawyers can't request the heart of the most recently hired associate at the opposing firm. It'll really give them incentive to help the partner win. And, not coincidentally, create job openings for me.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 am

It would have to be an associate's heart for sure since partners don't HAVE hearts...

Re: the corn. I just work off the label info. Flour tortillas are really pretty awful next to the locally produced corn tortillas I buy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:03 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:It would have to be an associate's heart for sure since partners don't HAVE hearts...

Re: the corn. I just work off the label info. Flour tortillas are really pretty awful next to the locally produced corn tortillas I buy.
:lol: :lol:

True that.... you could put butter and processed jam on a corn tortilla and it would be better than flour. Just letting you know to try to buy organic/small farm if possible.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:47 pm

I buy blue corn tortillas whenever I can.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Not to derail a conversation about NM food but I found an excellent illustration of why the NM market is so tough to crack. A friend I graduated high school with is employed by his roommate, who also went to our high school, in an office owned by a parent of someone else we graduated with, with the wife of an administrator also in the office. He also works part-time grading papers for our old high school and his contact is our old math teacher. Who is also his landlord. And the aunt of his roommate/employer.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:23 pm

andythefir wrote:Not to derail a conversation about NM food but I found an excellent illustration of why the NM market is so tough to crack. A friend I graduated high school with is employed by his roommate, who also went to our high school, in an office owned by a parent of someone else we graduated with, with the wife of an administrator also in the office. He also works part-time grading papers for our old high school and his contact is our old math teacher. Who is also his landlord. And the aunt of his roommate/employer.
LOL! This is an extreme example, but does happen sometimes. I got my job through friends I met at work, and have offers already to be the union lawyer after I graduate- from a guy who got his job through family connections. So, yeah, this sort of thing is more common here. I think it is just because it is such a small state (population wise).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Yes, N.Mex. is a small state and graduating from UNM Law is a decided advantage here.

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Oh wow. I missed out on this thread. :D

I love NM and plan to end up back here no matter what. I strongly suggest noone plan to move here unless you visit. NM is so different culturally then any other place in the country that it is either love or hate.

Can't wait for Santa Fe Fiestas and Lobo Basketball this year. :D

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:38 pm

NewLobo wrote:Oh wow. I missed out on this thread. :D

I love NM and plan to end up back here no matter what. I strongly suggest noone plan to move here unless you visit. NM is so different culturally then any other place in the country that it is either love or hate.

I'm really hoping to get some sort of summer employment there before I finish law school, so that would be a visit in a way I suppose. I think I adapt pretty well though. I know there are already a lot of opinions in this thread, but what's so different about NM in your mind?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:42 pm

When I think of New Mexican law...

http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:03 pm

Veyron wrote:Think about it this way, in no other part of Mexico are flour tortillas a staple, that’s our (unhealthy and delicious) American influence.
Corn totillas >>>>>>>>>>> flour tortillas.

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Tanicius wrote:When I think of New Mexican law...

This website is a joke right? Pretty funny though :lol:

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 pm

scrowell wrote:

I'm really hoping to get some sort of summer employment there before I finish law school, so that would be a visit in a way I suppose. I think I adapt pretty well though. I know there are already a lot of opinions in this thread, but what's so different about NM in your mind?
I'm pretty sure it has already been pointed out. Culture. The culture is highly influenced by Native American and Spanish cultures. Not only that but being pretty isolated from most of the world for hundreds of years has led NM to develop it's own style. Like mentioned the spanish language is different then any place else. This is inpart due to isolation and incorporating native american words and terms. The cultural activities are unique to NM. There are "fiestas" in other parts of the spanish world. However, NM has fiestas that are unique to each town. There are fiestas for Burque, Santa Fe, PDL, Vegas etc. Each town has it's own unique culture.

To be honest, it is hard to explain. Much of NM has been very reluctant to "Americanize" I would say. Many would consider many places in NM to be Backass Backwards. It works for us though. We are evry proud of our state and our culture. We may be the worst in many things (education, poverty etc.), but we are proud to be here.

I'm going to say it will be very hard for you to even get summer employment here. Like mentioned, UNM owns most of the New Mexico law market. There are exceptions. However, you don't fit into the exception. Some firms hire from t-30 schools, but the students from these schools are native New Mexicans. They just chose to atend a different school. I say the best chance of you making it to NM would be to lateral. I would listen to BeautifulSW for the legal market though. I know very little of it.

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:45 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Veyron wrote:Think about it this way, in no other part of Mexico are flour tortillas a staple, that’s our (unhealthy and delicious) American influence.
Totally dependant on the food you are eating. Sopapillas>>>tortillas every day all day. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:06 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
*Hipster*

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Veyron wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
*Hipster*

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:18 pm

scrowell wrote:

Wait youve never been to NM? How do you know that is where you want to end up?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:52 pm

NewLobo wrote: Totally dependant on the food you are eating. Sopapillas>>>tortillas every day all day. :D
+10000.

dr123 wrote:

I tried to discourage OP... but it has become obvious to me that dude has got the call.

More importantly this thread is serving an awesome and useful purpose of educating everyone about New Mexico, New Mexico law and career prospects, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:02 am

dr123 wrote:
scrowell wrote:

Yeah I've never been, but it seems like it has everything I'd want-hot and dry climate, low cost of living, cities, mountains, great food, lots of culture, and legal opportunities (I don't mind if they're lower paying). So the better question is, why not? But, as a disclaimer, ideally I will visit at some point first.

And firemed, when have you tried to talk me out of going? Everything you write makes me want to get down there sooner! :D

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:21 am

scrowell wrote:
dr123 wrote:
scrowell wrote:

Yeah I've never been, but it seems like it has everything I'd want-hot and dry climate, low cost of living, cities, mountains, great food, lots of culture, and legal opportunities (I don't mind if they're lower paying). So the better question is, why not? But, as a disclaimer, ideally I will visit at some point first.

And firemed, when have you tried to talk me out of going? Everything you write makes me want to get down there sooner! :D

At the start of the thread... for like 1 post...

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:32 am

scrowell wrote:
Tanicius wrote:When I think of New Mexican law...

This website is a joke right? Pretty funny though :lol:

He's the comic relief in AMC's Breaking Bad.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 am

Let me just say it once more...N.Mex. is a good place to live and work. But if you owe more than about $50,000 to Sallie Mae, DON'T COME HERE. You will never, ever make enough money to pay off a six figure student loan debt while having a decent life. I see the results of this every day. Don't do it!

Oh, and I give up..."PDL"?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”