ONE WEEK: Cornell vs UC Hastings vs U Washington Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I attend?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:47 pm

Cornell - 45K (need based)
82%
U Washington - 15K (merit; don't know need yet)
9%
UC Hastings - 63K (merit and need based)
9%

Total votes: 34

bhan87

Silver

Re: ONE WEEK: Cornell vs UC Hastings vs U Washington

Post by bhan87 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:27 am

CanadianWolf wrote:No, I actually am the only one considering OP's preference for city living as stated in his post.
That's ONE preference he mentioned. The other preferences that should override that one are: 1. Portability 2. Best education 3. Best job prospects.

The OP also stated pretty clearly that they can live WHEREVER if it's only for three years.
However, it is only three years and I really believe I can live wherever I need to for the best education.
OP: Deposit at Cornell on the last day and continue riding the waitlists. Cornell w/ $ is a great place to end up.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:28 am

OP is on waitlists at much better schools.

OP: Read the TLS profile on Cornell. Especially note the portion on the culture of Ithaca. Visit Ithaca if still interested. I've been to Ithaca dozens of times over many years. It is fine for some but not for those craving big city life as is noted in Cornell's profile on this (TLS) website.

bhan87: Stanford, Harvard & Columbia are regarded by many as offering a better education & better opportunities than Cornell despite last years NLJ250 placement. If however, OP indicated an overwhelming preference for NYC biglaw & did not clearly state a preference for city living, then Cornell would be a good option. But not over Stanford, Harvard or Columbia based on OP's preferences.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:30 am

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:32 am

CanadianWolf wrote:OP is on waitlists at much better schools.

OP: Read the TLS profile on Cornell. Especially note the portion on the culture of Ithaca. Visit Ithaca if still interested. I've been to Ithaca dozens of times over many years. It is fine for some but not for those craving big city life as is noted in Cornell's profile on this (TLS) website.
You can stay on the WL even if you've deposited... And again... the OP is FINE with being outside the big city life for 3 years if it means getting the best education available to them.

Also note which market Cornell feeds into: NYC, the most urban and big-city place you could go. So EVEN IF the OP had a preference for bigger cities, we're only really talking about sacrificing 3 years to go rural, after which the OP will be in a much better position to get a top-level job in an atmosphere they like.

Did CW get rejected from Cornell or something? Serious anti-Cornell trolling going on here.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:35 am

CanadianWolf wrote:OP is on waitlists at much better schools.
Yeah, that and a penny will get you a ride on a mechanical horse at a supermarket.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:36 am

This thread isn't really about the poll showing OP's three options. OP is reluctant to commit to Cornell. Any law school applicant understands that employment prospects are superior at Cornell over UWashington & UC-Hastings. If OP is really in a quandry over the best education & employment prospects among those 3 choices, then he isn't as smart as his array of waitlist schools suggest.

OP: Just judge your options by the Cornell troll's posts.

OP: Expand your poll to include more choices such as waiting out the waitlists at Stanford, Harvard & Columbia & an option to reapply next cycle if not called off of any of these waitlists.

P.S. The Cornell troll is not giving you bad advice--it's just advice that one could gleen from purchasing a $9.95 copy of USNews--it's just not appropriate advice based on your preferences & other options. Read the TLS Cornell Law profile "Culture of Ithaca" & visit Ithaca, then decide.

equalityLaw10

New

Post by equalityLaw10 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:12 am

Thank you all for your replies in this thread.

I understand that Cornell is the obvious choice. I think my reluctance stems (at least partially) from the fact that I have not yet visited Ithaca. I was admitted late to Cornell, received my financial aid package a week ago, and sent my deposit. I'm now triple deposited at these three schools and Cornell wanted me to make a final decision before I could even visit. I've discussed it with them and I now have until next Tuesday when I go to Ithaca.

CW, thank you for defending my preference of an urban setting. I understand that Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia are superior schools, but I do not currently have those options. I've actually been drafting new LOCIs to send out, as I have a new promotion to disclose and some additional experience. However, this thread was primarily intended to help me pull the plug on Washington and Hastings and commit to Cornell.

I'm continuing to show interest in my wait list schools -- I just made it to 2nd Reserve at Columbia, but I'm now trying to make a decision about the actual options that I currently have.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 am

Wow, this is truly one of the worst threads out there.

Cornell is the obvious answer. Ride the waitlists--of course, getting into a higher ranked school would be game changing.

My basic feel from your cycle is that you aren't a lock at T6 schools, and so reapplying is not a safe strat; there is a high chance you'll burn a year and end up in a similar or worse position. That said, I don't know your numbers, and it may be that you are a strong T6 applicant, and simply got burned. I will say that reapplying for MVP over Cornell with money seems off to me, especially if you want big law in Cali--none of these schools strike me as being the way to land a good Cali job, and you are talking about a few years of your life. Retake/reapply for top Cali schools might be a viable strat (although, look at this thread for a scare: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=157037). If you are less tied to Cali, and might enjoy practicing in NYC, Cornell is absolutely and unequivocally the right answer.

As for being gay in Ithaca, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. It is an extremely liberal town, and anyone knowledgeable about Cornell will happily reassure you about this (while at Cornell, I had a gay housemate, and not only was I comfortable with it, but it didn't raise any eyebrows either that a straight guy was living with a gay guy). If you like big cities, you may find Ithaca less than desirable, but there are worse places to spend three years, I assure you. The only people I know who really dislike Ithaca are people from Texas (which is not to say all Texans hate Ithaca, but that I've only noticed significant Ithaca hate in Texans); a great deal of NYC and other big city folks seem to enjoy spending a few years in nature (although most are vocal about not wanting to spend the rest of their lives there). There are plenty of Cornell Law folks lurking about--track one of them down and ask them questions if you still have concerns.

ETA: OP posted while I was posting. His clarifications make me somewhat regret the harsh tone of my post.
Last edited by thecynic69 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:30 am

CanadianWolf is obviously an anti-Cornell troll and a pro-Northwestern troll.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 am

equalityLaw10 wrote:Anyone?

This is really a no-brainer. Cornell is the best choice.

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 am

Ithaca is an extremely liberal hippy like town. It gets great bands to come through and has great outdoor activities. It is one of the coolest campuses and college towns you can be in.
That being said it is not a big city, nor evan an urban one as pointed out above. It will however, get you farther in san fran or seattle or any other city for that matter than the other schools. Good luck, and remember this is a good problem to have.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:39 am

OP: Visit & let us hear your impressions then enjoy Columbia !

P.S. I agree with the cynic69 that Cornell will only be "a year of your life".

P.P.S. USNews quoted a Seattle based law school admissions consultant Loretta DeLoggio: " I think anyone who applies to both Cornell & NYU hasn't got a clue what they're doing". Introduction to USNews & World Report Ultimate Guide To Law Schools. Whether or not Cornell is for you will depend upon a visit. Even Cornell folks offer caution in the TLS Cornell Law profile.
Disagreeing that Cornell is your best option does not constitute one being an anti-Cornell troll or pro-Stanford, Harvard and/or Columbia troll--it is just a difference of opinion based on your situation & preferences.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 am

CanadianWolf wrote:His gut instinct is what is holding him back from committing to Cornell. OP clearly states his preference for an urban setting.
And we clearly see that worrying over where you'll be for a short three year stint is ridiculously short sighted. He's not committing to Ithaca forever; he's committing for a limited number of years in the name of increased degree portability. By that logic, we might just as well recommend that all with preference for big cities pass up YLS.

As for sitting it out a year, it makes little sense unless OP applied late or increased his LSAT score towards the end of the cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”