Chicago-Kent or wait for Pepperdine Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Han_Shot_First

New

Chicago-Kent or wait for Pepperdine

Post by Han_Shot_First » Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Seeking advice for the Summer. I have already been accepted to Chicago-Kent but have wait-listed at Pepperdine Law. I am interested in pursuing a career in the entertainment law business after graduation (longshot yes). Pepperdine said I wouldn't hear back from them until possibly July. That would give me a very short period of time to look for apartments and make moving arrangements. Should I wait on Pepperdine or go with Chicago-Kent? Any advice is appreciated!

uzpakalis

Bronze

Re: Chicago-Kent or wait for Pepperdine

Post by uzpakalis » Wed May 18, 2011 3:25 pm

wait for Pepperdine. Malibu > Chicago

Han_Shot_First

New

Post by Han_Shot_First » Thu May 19, 2011 8:33 am

Does anybody know the employment outlooks for Pepperdine students vs. CK? Both are not the highest ranking law schools in their respective area. I would be paying sticker at both schools but from what I understand, its relatively the same in both areas (even with cost of living i think the difference is negligible).

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Thu May 19, 2011 11:29 am

Han_Shot_First wrote:Does anybody know the employment outlooks for Pepperdine students vs. CK? Both are not the highest ranking law schools in their respective area. I would be paying sticker at both schools but from what I understand, its relatively the same in both areas (even with cost of living i think the difference is negligible).
Take a look at these side by side:
Pepperdine: --LinkRemoved--

Kent: --LinkRemoved--

the information there is remarkably similar. the only major difference I see is that ~10% more of Kent grads are reporting their salaries. The cost of attending these schools is almost identical so that can't really be a deciding factor. Paying sticker @ either school is a daunting prospect, I hope you understand that. Beyond that, I would say you need to choose the beaches of Malibu or Chicago (which is easily the best city in the world but the winters are pretty overwhelming) because if you go to a school of this caliber, you will, 9 times out of 10, end up practicing in that area for a long time.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Thu May 19, 2011 1:40 pm

First I would not attend either at full price--Id move to malibu and do some odd job and think about this one for a year or so...you can go to any city without going 200K in debt.

Second, only 3/10 will you be doing legal work in these regions with degrees from these schools---7/10 you will be dreaming of legal work and working temp jobs until you just give up

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Thu May 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Snape wrote:Second, only 3/10 will you be doing legal work in these regions with degrees from these schools---7/10 you will be dreaming of legal work and working temp jobs until you just give up
I'm sorry but where exactly are you getting these numbers?

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Thu May 19, 2011 11:44 pm

aknecht wrote:
Snape wrote:Second, only 3/10 will you be doing legal work in these regions with degrees from these schools---7/10 you will be dreaming of legal work and working temp jobs until you just give up
I'm sorry but where exactly are you getting these numbers?
his ass.

i already do "legal work" and a good 80% of the firms i deal with have top lawyers from "these kinds" of schools

Han_Shot_First

New

Post by Han_Shot_First » Sat May 21, 2011 3:18 am

It has been made painstakingly clear to me that pursuing a legal career at any school not within the top 14 schools is a foolhardy (if not stupid) venture according to most people on this website. I can certainly appreciate the cost-benefit analysis on borrowing such a large amount with what seems to be a small chance of rewards (especially in this terrible legal market). I appreciate both sides of the argument and take all advice under consideration. BUT it seems to me that most people here do not calculate the hidden cost of NOT following dreams and living with regret. Unfortunately I fall into the category of people who would rather risk it all and fail than give up without ever trying. Foolish to some, I'm sure. However, I think it's just as foolish to give up because the stats don't add up in your favor. After all, the greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure. I'd rather give it my all and fail than be left with a huge cloud of resentment and guilt for not trying...

Pepperdine and Kent are the two schools on the table for me, and I would be happy to chose either institution (although I will be paying full price for both). My biggest problem is, can I wait until mid July to hear back from Pepperdine and still have time to find an apartment and move before school starts in August? Has anyone paid two seat deposits then decided to change schools at the last minute? Is 2 -3 weeks enough time to find a place and move?

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sat May 21, 2011 3:27 am

Han_Shot_First wrote:I appreciate both sides of the argument and take all advice under consideration.
Failure to appreciate reality is not a side.
Last edited by Gideon Strumpet on Sat May 21, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sat May 21, 2011 3:39 am

Han_Shot_First wrote:It has been made painstakingly clear to me that pursuing a legal career at any school not within the top 14 schools is a foolhardy (if not stupid) venture according to most people on this website. I can certainly appreciate the cost-benefit analysis on borrowing such a large amount with what seems to be a small chance of rewards (especially in this terrible legal market). I appreciate both sides of the argument and take all advice under consideration. BUT it seems to me that most people here do not calculate the hidden cost of NOT following dreams and living with regret. Unfortunately I fall into the category of people who would rather risk it all and fail than give up without ever trying. Foolish to some, I'm sure. However, I think it's just as foolish to give up because the stats don't add up in your favor. After all, the greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure. I'd rather give it my all and fail than be left with a huge cloud of resentment and guilt for not trying...

Pepperdine and Kent are the two schools on the table for me, and I would be happy to chose either institution (although I will be paying full price for both). My biggest problem is, can I wait until mid July to hear back from Pepperdine and still have time to find an apartment and move before school starts in August? Has anyone paid two seat deposits then decided to change schools at the last minute? Is 2 -3 weeks enough time to find a place and move?

When it comes down to it, I don't think anyone can fault you for your motivation/goals. Keep up the positive attitude. TLS has a lot of useful information. It's also got a lot of strong opinions that are sometimes mistaken as facts. Bottom line, both Kent and Pepperdine are T2s and do provide decent, regional opportunities, provided that you do appropriately well.

IMO, I would stay on the Pepperdine WL - if you are truly interested in attending, what's the harm of keeping your name in the hat? You will likely have much slimmer housing options once the time rolls around, but you won't be homeless. Be creative. Look at roommate postings, sublets, etc. if you have to. In the end, though, Chicago and Malibu are very different, and, as one poster above correctly pointed out, you will likely be working in one of these areas for years to come after LS. So, I would say that's an important factor. Have you visited either/both?

Han_Shot_First

New

Post by Han_Shot_First » Sat May 21, 2011 10:16 am

Yup I have visited both campuses(or is campi?) and they are both great, though drastically different. I really enjoy the Chicago area and it's only a 5 hour drive from home if I need to get away from the city. Kent's campus is pretty cool and the class rooms are state of the art. Pepperdine's campus is equally as nice, but when I was on campus, I was blown away by the friendliness of the people. As a person of non-faith, I was a little hesitant about applying to Pepperdine which traditionally is a conservative Christian campus. However, I do not think that will be much of an issue should I actually attend.

I think I am going to wait on Pepperdine, at least through the next round of seat deposits at Kent. Is there any advice out there for moving off of a waitlist? I have sent in my last semester transcripts and a third LoR but I am not sure this will speed up the process at all. I'm assuming I won't hear back from them until after their next round of seat deposits are due...

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Mon May 23, 2011 1:17 am

FWIW - I paid a non refundable deposit to Loyola Chicago before being pulled off the waitlist for Pepperdine in Mid-July. Found an apartment online and did all the application stuff, moved right in when I got to Southern California - there were no problems. The options on housing are vast, both in Chicago and LA- don't let that deter you from choosing a school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”