Penn. State ($$) vs. Temple (sticker/out of state) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn State ($$) vs. Temple (sticker/out of state)

Penn. State
74%
Temple
26%

Total votes: 19

loveshack

New

Penn. State ($$) vs. Temple (sticker/out of state)

Post by loveshack » Thu May 12, 2011 8:55 pm

I currently have an offer of 20k/year at Penn. State, and I just got off the waitlist for Temple.

Leaning Penn State for the monies, but Temple does have its advantages, and is fairly cheap even for out of state sticker.

So TLS, what do you think?

Law Sauce

Silver

Re: Penn. State ($$) vs. Temple (sticker/out of state)

Post by Law Sauce » Fri May 13, 2011 11:13 am

I chose psu becauce I believe that its stock is rising, especially in the state of pa. Most older attorneys still think that Dickinson is one of the best law schools around. And its rep is growing in younger attorneys. Plus, at least for me, carlisle or especially main campus would provide a much better experience than south philly. And there also the psu name brand which is quite strong. And it is cheaper. Is the scholarship top half? or no stipulations?

On the other hand, temple places above its ranking, especially in philly. It has a great rep and alumni base there. If you want a big firm though, it is going to be difficult for all but the top few from either school. Temple may have the upper hand with firm connections, but that may be changing. Temple does have a strong trial advocacy program if you are interested in that, then that could make a difference. If you could get in-state than it may be cheaper especially if you lose your scholarship at psu.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri May 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Law Sauce wrote:I chose psu becauce I believe that its stock is rising, especially in the state of pa. Most older attorneys still think that Dickinson is one of the best law schools around. And its rep is growing in younger attorneys. Plus, at least for me, carlisle or especially main campus would provide a much better experience than south philly. And there also the psu name brand which is quite strong. And it is cheaper. Is the scholarship top half? or no stipulations?

On the other hand, temple places above its ranking, especially in philly. It has a great rep and alumni base there. If you want a big firm though, it is going to be difficult for all but the top few from either school. Temple may have the upper hand with firm connections, but that may be changing. Temple does have a strong trial advocacy program if you are interested in that, then that could make a difference. If you could get in-state than it may be cheaper especially if you lose your scholarship at psu.
While Carlisle is a pleasant little town, most people find the greater Harrisburg Area is underwhelming at best. Temple isn't in the best neighborhood (it's actually in North Philly, not South), but you have the rest of the city at your fingertips. As for State College, the town literally revolves around PSU and its undergrads. You'll have to decide for yourself whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Forget USNWR rankings. By the time you reach second tier schools (hell, well before you reach second tier schools), they barely matter. As Lawsauce said, Temple has a great reputation and alumni base in Philly (and this is not changing).

At face value, this is Central PA vs. SE PA debate. Dickinson can take you to the Eastern and Western edges of the state, but it's more likely to find you a PI/government/small/midlaw job in the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster corridor. Temple will keep you confined to greater Philadelphia, which includes South Jersey and Northern Delaware. That being said, OOS sticker tuition is hefty given Temple's career prospects. Penn State's scholly offer makes it a somewhat better deal, but neither school is worth the cost IMO.

Your best bet is retaking, establishing residency in PA, and reapplying next year. Even if you don't improve your LSAT score, in-state sticker at Temple isn't terrible.

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Isn't PA really hard to reclassify as a resident?

What are the stipulations on PSU's scholarship and what is the total debt you would be looking at. Also, 30k for out of state at Temple is definitely not what I would call cheap, especially if you have to pay it all 3 years.

loveshack

New

Post by loveshack » Sat May 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Law Sauce wrote:I chose psu becauce I believe that its stock is rising, especially in the state of pa. Most older attorneys still think that Dickinson is one of the best law schools around. And its rep is growing in younger attorneys. Plus, at least for me, carlisle or especially main campus would provide a much better experience than south philly. And there also the psu name brand which is quite strong. And it is cheaper. Is the scholarship top half? or no stipulations?

There's a top-half stipulation on the scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

loveshack

New

Post by loveshack » Sat May 14, 2011 7:42 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

While Carlisle is a pleasant little town, most people find the greater Harrisburg Area is underwhelming at best. Temple isn't in the best neighborhood (it's actually in North Philly, not South), but you have the rest of the city at your fingertips. As for State College, the town literally revolves around PSU and its undergrads. You'll have to decide for yourself whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Forget USNWR rankings. By the time you reach second tier schools (hell, well before you reach second tier schools), they barely matter. As Lawsauce said, Temple has a great reputation and alumni base in Philly (and this is not changing).

At face value, this is Central PA vs. SE PA debate. Dickinson can take you to the Eastern and Western edges of the state, but it's more likely to find you a PI/government/small/midlaw job in the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster corridor. Temple will keep you confined to greater Philadelphia, which includes South Jersey and Northern Delaware. That being said, OOS sticker tuition is hefty given Temple's career prospects. Penn State's scholly offer makes it a somewhat better deal, but neither school is worth the cost IMO.

Your best bet is retaking, establishing residency in PA, and reapplying next year. Even if you don't improve your LSAT score, in-state sticker at Temple isn't terrible.
Noted.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Sun May 15, 2011 9:27 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

+1. Also, I'm not sure what the basis is for the statement, "Most older attorneys think Dickinson is one of the best law schools around," especially since, if I'm not mistaken, it's a new school.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun May 15, 2011 11:53 pm

arvcondor wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

+1. Also, I'm not sure what the basis is for the statement, "Most older attorneys think Dickinson is one of the best law schools around," especially since, if I'm not mistaken, it's a new school.
Dickinson is an old school; its acquisition by Penn State was recent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”