Cooley 1/2 Scholly V. Sticker At Tier 4 In Preferred Region Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one

Cooley (39k total + COL)
47%
Tier 4 (105k total w' free rent, but 45 minute commute each way [gas $])
53%

Total votes: 17

blsingindisguise

Silver

Re: Cooley 1/2 Scholly V. Sticker At Tier 4 In Preferred Region

Post by blsingindisguise » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Have you asked your friend WHY he wants to be a lawyer? Because people tend to have a lot of really off-base ideas about what law practice is actually like.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 pm

arvcondor wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:lol nah im in the 170s....splitter.
You do realize that a 170 is more like in the top 2%, not 10%?
Assuming it's not a flame, I think he meant top ten as in 180-170=10.
Extremely unconventional way to reveal one's approximate score.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:51 pm

dpk711 wrote:
arvcondor wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
You do realize that a 170 is more like in the top 2%, not 10%?
Assuming it's not a flame, I think he meant top ten as in 180-170=10.
Extremely unconventional way to reveal one's approximate score.
He probably meant that he has a score good enough for a T10 school, i.e. in the 170's, that's what I interpreted it as anyways.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun May 01, 2011 12:10 am

Noval wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:The LSAT is not be a great measure of intelligence, but in this case I think it does indicate that your friend should decidedly NOT go to law school. I think it shows his grasp of English. You say after working at it for 2 years he can only get his LSAT to a Cooley level. um, how the hell is he suppose to churn out a nuanced and detailed legal brief in a week? He might be able to, but there is chance it will not be good. And even if it is possible, he is going to have to put in way more effort than someone who has a full grasp of English.

I don't mean to sound like "foreigners are taking our jerbzs!!!" but at some point, people should specialize in what they are good at. Maybe your friend could become a doctor, accountant, consultant, start a business, pharmacist, teacher, etc, etc. basically there are a million things he could doing. but IMO spending hundreds of thousands *for a terrible, terrible school* to get into the one area where he is probably least suitable - that doesn't make any sense to me.

Anything besides the Top-30 6 is a bad investment(Unless you got scholly) anyways.
Definitely don't do either. Seriously, he should find a new profession, improve his English to the point where he can ace the LSAT, or attend law school in his home country.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 am

If his English is really what's holding him back on the LSAT, law school is going to be really tough. Like really, really tough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sun May 01, 2011 12:39 am

I have a friend who got chopped out of Cooley after the first year. He went to California and enrolled in a correspondence law school. He passed the baby bar and now is preparing for the real bar. He is only paying 2k a year for his legal education, lives in his parents' basement, and has no debt.

This should be your option.

You could use your eventual law degree and parents equity to get some kind of SBA loan and start a firm, employee real out of work lawyers to do actual legal work and make $$$ doing nothing but watch others work for you. You could also employ business school interns to work for you for free to handle finances, marketing, a website, etc.

I'm sure 90% of those who you interview for jobs will run away when they realize you have no experience or clients, but the desperate ones wont ask you.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sun May 01, 2011 1:29 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
He probably meant that he has a score good enough for a T10 school, i.e. in the 170's, that's what I interpreted it as anyways.
+1

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Sun May 01, 2011 2:05 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:If his English is really what's holding him back on the LSAT, law school is going to be really tough. Like really, really tough.
not true, i don't remember for sure, but i think cooley's moto is something along the lines of the spirit of the law is within the human heart, so, language shouldn't matter

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:06 am

red_alertz wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:If his English is really what's holding him back on the LSAT, law school is going to be really tough. Like really, really tough.
not true, i don't remember for sure, but i think cooley's moto is something along the lines of the spirit of the law is within the human heart, so, language shouldn't matter
I loled.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

0U812

New

Post by 0U812 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:46 pm

What was your decision?

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Mon May 02, 2011 6:20 pm

arvcondor wrote:
Noval wrote:
Anything beside the Top-30 is a bad investment(Unless you got scholly) anyways.
I'm really starting to love the "Anything beyond the Top-X, where X is in the general vicinity of my school, is a bad idea" statements.
Not trying to be an Elitist jerk, but that was not an opinion either, that was a fucking fact.

The Legal market in U.S. is horrible, and even T-14 Students struggle to find good jobs nowadays, like i said earlier, if you can't make it to a school with amazing local and/ or national placement, forget Law as a career.
I know that there's schools outside the Top-30 that got "great" local job prospects, but most who claim it have no sources to back it up and even if it was true, they are quite a few.

That said, going anywhere in the Top-100 might be a good idea if you get a scholarship.

But if you're one of those delusionnal kids who think they will make it big by paying sticker at a lower ranked school, go ahead, come back in 3 years and tell me how hard the Dean trolled you.

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Mon May 02, 2011 6:23 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I have a friend who got chopped out of Cooley after the first year. He went to California and enrolled in a correspondence law school. He passed the baby bar and now is preparing for the real bar. He is only paying 2k a year for his legal education, lives in his parents' basement, and has no debt.

This should be your option.

You could use your eventual law degree and parents equity to get some kind of SBA loan and start a firm, employee real out of work lawyers to do actual legal work and make $$$ doing nothing but watch others work for you. You could also employ business school interns to work for you for free to handle finances, marketing, a website, etc.

I'm sure 90% of those who you interview for jobs will run away when they realize you have no experience or clients, but the desperate ones wont ask you.
Yeah, because finding clients in a saturated market is EZ-Mode...

Unless you got a shit ton of funding for marketing and a decent network in your area of practice, don't think of starting your own firm.

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:30 pm

OP: you know the answer to this question already. He may say he wants to be a lawyer but I doubt he has any idea what kind of work he will be doing. If he is so determined, tell him to try to find a job as a paralegal for a while - let him work in law, or at least find out how tough the legal market is - before he goes to school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”